TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the thread for all the information and pictures of the Morgan Cup staffers from TaylorMade and their wedges. You will be able to get reviews and ask questions regarding the xFT wedges here.

You will be able to follow along with their thoughts and findings as they make their journey to the Morgan Cup. Lots of preparation stuff in here.

Let's keep this thread clean until some unboxing pictures and/or videos appear.

How exciting guys!

edit: my bad JB, I shouldn't have posted this yet.

You know what that means.

photo-5.jpg

More details coming!

Another day, another box from Taylormade. Such is a rough life in the day of a Morgan Cup Staffer. It's really been like Christmas around here and it's really a thrill of a lifetime to be a small part of this entire experience.

We put in our order for our Taylormade wedges a couple of weeks ago and as you can see by that cardboard box below, they have arrived.

photo-5.jpg

I went with 3 wedges, much like my current setup, but with some different bounce choices and one different loft change.

Our choice in wedges was from the TP Wedge with xFT (Exchangeable Face Technology). We had a choice of any loft or bounce, so the possibilities and combinations were endless.

I currently game these wedges and have so for a year. I really love these wedges, so this was an easy choice for me and there will be absolutely no transition in getting used to them. The only exception to that will be the conforming grooves which I have limited experience with that. Shouldn't be an issue, I don't count on a ton of spin when playing.

Here are my specs:

XFT 60.10 - RH - KBS Hi-Rev "Wedge Flex" - ZTP faceplate - White New Decade Multicompound Standard grip and standard taping. This is known as an "L" or "Lob" wedge for those of you that don't know. I will most likely use this wedge for shots I need to get in the air, any greenside bunkers I may encounter and some touch shots around the green. I can also use this club from 100 yards and in for a variety of different shots.

4c650e3a-2d4b-d807.jpg

This 60.10 wedge has the C-grind. You can see the difference between a 60.06 without the grind and 60.10 with it.

4c650e3a-2d5f-284f.jpg

4c650e3a-2d78-e4d9.jpg

XFT 56.16 - RH - KBS Hi-Rev "Wedge Flex" - ZTP faceplate - White New Decade Multicompound Standard grip and standard taping. This loft is consistent with what many call a Sand Wedge. I'll use this club for a lot of chipping and pitching as well as long or low running bunker shots. I can hit this club from 110 yards and in.

4c650e3a-2d8f-45c2.jpg

XFT 50.06 - RH - KBS Hi-Rev "Wedge Flex" - ZTP faceplate - White New Decade Multicompound Standard grip and standard taping. This could be considered a Gap or Approach wedge and it's stronger in loft than my current 52 degree Gap Wedge. I'll use this for shots from 125 yards and in. I really like chipping with this club and find it easy to control when I dial it down and want to hit low runners.

4c650e3a-2da6-c57b.jpg

Shaft: All of the Wedges come with a KBS Hi-Rev Wedge Flex. I'm a fan of these shafts. They impart just enough spin and give me an incredible amount of control not only around the green but on half and full shots as well. Very versatile and very reliable shafts I can count on.

4c650e3a-2dce-ab4c.jpg

4c650e3a-2dbc-9961.jpg

Bounce: I used to play all low bounce wedges and that was all wrong for me because of I'm more of a digger and those wedges would dig to our water table after a couple of shots. I've transitioned to mid-bounce and higher bounce wedges with much better results.

I currently have a 60.06, 56.12, 52.08 and they have worked well for me. I went with the higher bounce wedges because of the conditions we'll face at Reunion. It's very fluffy and thick sand/dirt around the greens and waste areas and I've been practicing with using higher bounce wedges on some of the tight lies, much like we'll see around the greens in the fairways and they again have worked well for my swing type.

4c650e3a-2e0d-ec16.jpg

4c650e3a-2e1f-f455.jpg

This will now make 8 of the 14 clubs in the Morgan Cup staff bag. I've updated the signature and now you can see the latest WITB. The only item left will be 6 irons (PW-5).

4c650e3a-2de3-21de.jpg

4c650e3a-2df1-6d26.jpg

4c650e3a-2e34-af78.jpg

4c650e3a-2e44-51c9.jpg

4c650e3a-2e53-3eab.jpg

Once again, just can't say it enough, thank you to the my sponsor, Taylormade and most especially to The Hackers Paradise and JB and GG for all they have done to make this happen. Eternal thanks from the bottom of my heart!

Thank you for the insight into why you ordered those wedges Biggsy. Cant wait to see how they treat you.

Awesome stuff biggsy! Hit 'em well!

Thanks bigsy can't wait to see what you think

Tap tap taparoo

Great stuff, biggsy. I really like my xFT GW and it is my go-to clubs from inside 100 yards. I like the choices in bounce as well. You have a good variety that should help you in many different situations.

Please tell me more about the C-Grind as you use it. It's something that I've looked at quite a bit.

Awesome write up Biggsy.

Here is a little video unboxing I did as well.

Really looking forward to getting these out on the range this weekend to see how these conforming grooves work. I really like the red and how it stands out on the back of the wedge. Just such a pretty wedge to look at and very solid when you play it.

Love the wedges Biggsy! Very nice writeup!

After you get some time with them Biggsy love to hear what you think of the ZTP face plates.

Now that's a knife! Love those TM boxes and Those XFT's look sweet! I love these wedges as well. I'm also curious about the LW C-Grind sole on that biggsy and how it works out for you and how it performs on FL turf.

Great looking wedges Biggsy. I have no chance at getting them today as it is a holiday plus the border crossing, so I figure monday or tuesday and they will be here. Love your choice and the reasons why in the write up.

Now that's a knife! Love those TM boxes and Those XFT's look sweet! I love these wedges as well. I'm also curious about the LW C-Grind sole on that biggsy and how it works out for you and how it performs on FL turf.

Thank Spank. I'll let you know. I'm anticipating good things.

Great looking wedges Biggsy. I have no chance at getting them today as it is a holiday plus the border crossing, so I figure monday or tuesday and they will be here. Love your choice and the reasons why in the write up.
Thanks CB. Looking forward to seeing what's in you TM box. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Great job Biggsy! I love the wedges, they look so pretty. I'm with CB, Monday or Tuesday they may be here ;)

Nice wedges, never tried a tm wedge

I now tap while I talk

I love this!

Great GREAT stuff guys, so much fun to read about all of this, I cannot imagine actually being part of it!

very nice so far biggsy. I love the pic of the 60 w/ c grind and your current 60 without c grind.

Well done Biggsy. Great pictures and an AWESOME write up. I really appreciate the insight into what we will be up against as its been about 16 years since I golfed in FL. Great looking wedges man.

Very sweet looking wedges Biggsy! Nice pics and write up. My wedges are high bounce due to my steep downswing and the fluffy conditions I often play in. That bag sure is looking nice.

I met the Fed Ex guy leaving my house as I got home today. There was a long, rectangular box waiting for me on the porch...

oops, trigger happy. Working on the post now.

I met the Fed Ex guy leaving my house as I got home today. There was a long, rectangular box waiting for me on the porch...

oops, trigger happy. Working on the post now.

I thought so, that was a pretty small write up before.

Good stuff biggsy, very thorough writeup. Interesting you changed the gap wedge numbers, is that a distance gap decision or preference?

Nice shot of the different grinds as well, admittedly I know very little about what that means.

--
tapatalk

I have two videos loading. The first one was not very good and my wife didn't tell me that the box blocked a lot of it, so I made another. They should be available shortly, thanks.

I went with 3 wedges:

- 50* 6* Bounce, STD L/Lie, +1 wrap
- 56* 12* Bounce, STD L/Lie, +1 wrap
- 60* 10* Bounce C-Grind, STD L/Lie, +1 wrap

IMG_0255.jpg

All 3 wedges...50*, 60*. 56*

IMG_0257.jpg

C-Grind, 10* Bounce in the 60*. I have been playing a 60* with 4* bounce and am quite comfortable with opening the face up and flopping shots onto the green. I read a lot about the wedge bounces when I was making my decision and chose to go with the c-grind. I am excited to get out on the range tomorrow and practice with this club to try out the c-grind.

IMG_0259.jpg

KBS Hi-Rev shafts in wedge flex. This is my first TaylorMade wedge since they went with KBS, so I don't have any experience with them. I have heard great things and hope they will give me some stopping power since we are using conforming grooves.

IMG_0260.jpg

Black/White Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound grips. I have been gaming these grips on my irons/wedges for a while now and am very comfortable with them.

IMG_0261.jpg

The Morgan Cup bag so far...

IMG_0262.jpg

Thanks again TaylorMade and The Hacker's Paradise! I can never thank you guys enough.

Back