TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

Biggsy , in all honesty my short game sucks and it is what is keping me from becomming the golfer I know I am. I appreciate you and CB offering advice and suggestions and maybe I have ben looking at the <100yd game the wrong way all this time, I was thinking KISS with the wedges, as in have less thoughts and choices might make things easier.
They don't call them scoring clubs for nothing...the more you have in your bag, the lower your scores :D

CB makes a good point, same swing with all 3 and you have three shots. Half shot with all 3 and you have 3 more shots.

They don't call them scoring clubs for nothing...the more you have in your bag, the lower your scores :D

CB makes a good point, same swing with all 3 and you have three shots. Half shot with all 3 and you have 3 more shots.

Hit the nail on the head. You get full shots, half shots, even 1/4 shots with all 3 wedges.
U can also chip with em all.

I am working on just using stock wedge swings, as described above and putting different wedges in. To vary distances.

But I do love the 60. It's so versatile around the greens with the regular 10 bounce, then opened you still get the bounces forgiveness IMO

But I do love the 60. It's so versatile around the greens with the regular 10 bounce, then opened you still get the bounces forgiveness IMO
CG, I am seeing the same thing, even with the short time I've had it, it's a lot better for me than the 60.06 I had.

Rhino I get where you are coming from. After searching around and taking to heart a few peoples thought around here, such as JB, who have a phenomenal short game I kicked every wedge out save my 55*.

I have been trying to learn that club, it was honestly a good and bad change. Good in that it took some indecision out of my mind, bad in that forced my hand in some shots. Biggsy was kind enough to bestow a little knowledge on me during a practice session and I've found myself using the 55* less around the green and utilizing my 9I and PW more and more. Now I'm getting to the point that I feel more confident about my ability to add another wedge in the bag without shooting myself in the foot.

Sorry if I derailed this thread, but at least we're still talking wedges :p

--
tapatalk

Thanks SW, i to have tried different clubs around the green , 7,8, 9 irons, even a hybrid or two in addition to the wedges. The thing I seem to have most difficulty with is shot distance. Used to be I could not hit the lofted shot very well you know the one where you gotta go over a bunker to get to the green. Now i can hit that shot some what but it always seems to land either right at the hole or just before it and rolls past to the other end of the green leaving me the distance of a freakin Walmart to putt. If I try to "take a little off" and not have that happen.. BOOM chunk city and I hot the ball maybe 30 feet. VERY frustrating. :banghead:

Another solid range session today and I'm really thrilled with all of my bounce options.

I spent about an hour in the bunkers and that C-grind and the bounce on the 60 degree just makes getting out of the bunker like child's play. I tried it in both firm and powdery sand and it was very easy to hit to any of the flags I was trying to. Very happy with this since I've been struggling with bunker play because I had neglected practicing it. It's really shaping up and my confidence is growing in the bunkers.

I hit in tight and fluffy lies from off the green with the 56 and 60, just trying different shots and picking out some of the more difficult pins so the only shot isn't to throw it at the flag. Also worked on some bump and run shots with the 50 and it worked well on the tight lie I was hitting it from.

I like the ZTP face, even if it rolls out more. I've worked on getting the ball in the air more and having it land soft to negate the roll out. I think it's helped expand some shots I can play and just made my short game a little more versatile.

Very thrilled with these great wedges from Taylormade.

any tips for getting a little bit more distance out of these wedges?
i'm loving my 58* around the greens and out of the bunkers! been able to work the ball like magic most of the time.
but from 100 and in, it seems like i just can't muster up the distance like i can with my regular PW.
any tips?

I spent some time in bunkers this am with the 60 didn't have time for much- but the 60.10 c grind may be the best combination short game club there is.

I honestly belive you can hit any shot around the green you need too as well as sand shots, it's just so versatile.

Only thing it can't do is a long bump and run- Just would need too much Fwd press to trythat.

But it's amazing how easy sand shots are with ot

any tips for getting a little bit more distance out of these wedges?
i'm loving my 58* around the greens and out of the bunkers! been able to work the ball like magic most of the time.
but from 100 and in, it seems like i just can't muster up the distance like i can with my regular PW.
any tips?

How far do you want to hit a 58* wedge? I rarely hit mine more the 40-50 yards.

I'm still staring at mine. Since they arrived on Tuesday I've been gone to junior tournaments and/or working. Hopefully I'm not Daniel Day Lewis tomorrow and Sunday for the husband/wife tournament at my club.

Kevin

I had a great day on the range today overall, but just an amazing day with the xFT wedges. I really concentrated on not picking the club up which I have been doing lately, and I was just puring the wedges. I'm getting more distance out of these wedges than I am used to, and just a great ball flight. After today what I am seeing is 59* 90 yards carry, 56* 105 carry, 51* 120 carry. They are easy to hit, and I can put plenty of spin on full and 3/4 shots from the fairway. I still need to spend a lot of time around the putting green to get used to the spin, but over all I couldn't be happier with the wedges for the Morgan Cup.

How far do you want to hit a 58* wedge? I rarely hit mine more the 40-50 yards.

I'm still staring at mine. Since they arrived on Tuesday I've been gone to junior tournaments and/or working. Hopefully I'm not Daniel Day Lewis tomorrow and Sunday for the husband/wife tournament at my club.

Kevin

Usually I won't bother to use my 58* outside of 20yds or so, but I do probably only hit it 40-50, same as you.
I was more concerned about my 54* and 50*
My "game" should allow me to hit them 65-75 and 85-100, respectively....but I'm not sure.

To be honest, I haven't visited the range with them yet since I lack one at my home course.
But once I get there, I was looking for some tips on hitting them better.

"I...drink...your...milkshake!"

Usually I won't bother to use my 58* outside of 20yds or so, but I do probably only hit it 40-50, same as you.
I was more concerned about my 54* and 50*
My "game" should allow me to hit them 65-75 and 85-100, respectively....but I'm not sure.

To be honest, I haven't visited the range with them yet since I lack one at my home course.
But once I get there, I was looking for some tips on hitting them better.

"I...drink...your...milkshake!"

More swing speed and playing it further back in your stance. Make sure you pure it as well.

More swing speed and playing it further back in your stance. Make sure you pure it as well.

That's what I do. The ball position will almost force you to pinch it off the turf. Puring is another story.

thanks guys.
i'll def. give that a shot at the range. pun intended.

Not an MC'r, but I can't say enough good things about this wedge. I'd gladly add a couple more to my bag. I don't hit it anywhere near as far as most of the MC'rs, but I do feel like I can control the golf ball with it in terms of trajectory and distance very well with it. Feel on mishits isn't nice, but it's a blade and what can you expect?

Not an MC'r, but I can't say enough good things about this wedge. I'd gladly add a couple more to my bag. I don't hit it anywhere near as far as most of the MC'rs, but I do feel like I can control the golf ball with it in terms of trajectory and distance very well with it. Feel on mishits isn't nice, but it's a blade and what can you expect?

What kinda distance do you see?

I always played my wedges direct dead center. Disnt see very good distance at all- I hit em fat alot.

When my coach had me move it back in my stance further and rotate y hips through- (tended to use upper body a lot on wedge shots- big no no)

I saw my distance, ball height, and spin increase

Checked out a 54/12 and 58/12 to demo tonight from pga ss. It will be nice to get these outside on some grass and see how they work with me. Dug up some notes I had taken at the kingdom and apparently I loved the 58* then, but I was overwhelmed so my memory is fuzzy.

--
tapatalk

Typically, my 50 is around 90-95 yards with a smooth swing. I don't really try to hit it hard. I'd rather swing my PW choked up to be honest. For me, the xFT is my club from 95 yards in.

What kinda distance do you see?

I always played my wedges direct dead center. Disnt see very good distance at all- I hit em fat alot.

When my coach had me move it back in my stance further and rotate y hips through- (tended to use upper body a lot on wedge shots- big no no)

I saw my distance, ball height, and spin increase

Typically, my 50 is around 90-95 yards with a smooth swing. I don't really try to hit it hard. I'd rather swing my PW choked up to be honest. For me, the xFT is my club from 95 yards in.

I hear ya- i don't swing hard at all anymore. Except off the tee really. I've cranked down my finesse swings just aim for tempo.

Nor should you. For me, I've gotten away from trying to kill shots, I lost all kinds of accuracy and I'd rather go up a club and hit a more controlled shot with no fear of coming up short.

I'm really liking this 50. I was hitting some chip shots with a little back spin from tight lies and got a good little ball reaction, plus it bridged a gap that was forming to my PW.

I have liked chipping with a 50 for awhile. For me, this xft 50 goes you the best height for a chip that lands an rolls out perfectly. It's probably a 1/4 swing I never really get to parallel and I usually hold the follow through just below parallel.

I wish I didn't have to chip so much but when I do I usually try to use a 50.

I wish I didn't have to chip so much but when I do I usually try to use a 50.

You sound like the Dos Equis guy here.

Another round in with the xft. Can't say enough about them.

Stuk two 50 degrees within 15 feet. Had several putts at birdie and par today - but I didnt make one.

Worst day of putting ever. I'll post that in the putterthread.

I have alot of confidence already with these and if I could find one fault it's the glare.

Bright sunny day today- and that sun just shines off the faces.

Had some good chips with the 50 too

So I played my first round with these wedges today. The only practice I had with them was six shots with the 51* and six with the 58* before teeing off. I'm going to make a statement here. If I hit the R11 far enough during TMC to put these in my hands for approach shots, the ladies that comprise Team Hackers better be very ready indeed.

Because these things rocked my world. The faces are a bit larger than the Vokeys I've been playing for the last four or five years, and I hit them about 10 yards farther. The ball jumps off the face, and while it may not have old groove spin on it, it spin very, very, very good indeed. After saying in my video I most likely wouldn't use the 56-12* out of the fairway, I went ahead and did it anyway. And covered the flag with two shots. Unfortunately, I left two five foot putts about 2" short total, one on a par 5, the other on a short par 4.

Love the look, love the feel off the face, and love the feel of the shaft. The KBS Hi-Rev shaft is considerably better than the stock True Temper Vokey wedge shaft. Like worlds apart better. Like dry-aged Kobe beef to Pick 'n' Save choice steak better. Like my looks compared to TC's better. Hell, I considered laying up to a number today on a par 5 just to hit another 80-100 yard shot with one of these things, and that's not my MO.

I didn't though, and tried to draw a hybrid into the green. Hit it straight through the dogleg into the rough. I did, however, hit a little flip 58* over a small tree to about 12', but 2 putted for par.

I will admit I had some concerns going in. A guy like me forms a close bond with his wedges. After just one round, those concerns have gone the way of Tiger Woods' golf swing. Right out the Escalade broken window.

Listen. Do you hear that? That's the sound of my feet pounding the floor. I'm dancing with joy about how well these clubs are going to work out.

Kevin

Back