TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

Been having some gaps in my game since moving to the Burner 2.0s, so I picked up the A Wedge today, and had my xFTs bent from 52* & 56* to 54* & 58*.

Hoping that will solve my gap issues.

Been having some gaps in my game since moving to the Burner 2.0s, so I picked up the A Wedge today, and had my xFTs bent from 52* & 56* to 54* & 58*.

Hoping that will solve my gap issues.

Hopefully that fills the gap for sure. I still really love these wedges and am shocked they don't get more love from consumers.

First thing in the morning, I'm picking up a 60* xFT and heading out for 9 holes... :bananadance:

Hopefully that fills the gap for sure. I still really love these wedges and am shocked they don't get more love from consumers.
Everything I see is pretty much love/hate on the xFTs. Besides the shanks I had last week with them, I love 'em.

First thing in the morning, I'm picking up a 60* xFT and heading out for 9 holes... :bananadance:
Good luck with it.

One thing that I think is a underappreciated aspect of these wedges is the consistency that not having to change your wedge every year gives you. For me I practice a lot with my wedges and I have gotten very used to the grinds and lofts of my wedges (which I really love the C grind on my 58*). It is so nice to know that when I wear the face on these wedges, I don't have to completely change my club. I can just put a new face on and get back the lost spin, but yet still have all of the other parts of the club to be exactly the same. I feel like this would be even more enticing to the tour players.

I agree Teeth - When I received these wicked wedges from TM for the Morgan Cup, I COULD NOT believe the amount of spin I was getting. My old CG wedges were 3+ years old, and while I tried to redo the grooves, it just wasn't great. They would be ok for a round or 2 then revert back to less than ideal spin. I have the conforming grooves, and plan on picking up a set of non conforming grooves to start the new year with.

On the performance front, I have taken to only ever taking 80% swings with all wedges except the 50*. Sometimes I hit that one 100% because of the large distance gap between my PW(47) and GW(50). These are just solid wedges, and I love everything about them. Not to mention I believe they are some of the cheapest on the market right now. Add the replaceable face to mix, the the value is off the charts.

Belbs

I agree Teeth - When I received these wicked wedges from TM for the Morgan Cup, I COULD NOT believe the amount of spin I was getting. My old CG wedges were 3+ years old, and while I tried to redo the grooves, it just wasn't great. They would be ok for a round or 2 then revert back to less than ideal spin. I have the conforming grooves, and plan on picking up a set of non conforming grooves to start the new year with.

On the performance front, I have taken to only ever taking 80% swings with all wedges except the 50*. Sometimes I hit that one 100% because of the large distance gap between my PW(47) and GW(50). These are just solid wedges, and I love everything about them. Not to mention I believe they are some of the cheapest on the market right now. Add the replaceable face to mix, the the value is off the charts.

Belbs

Excellent point. I picked up both my 52* & 56* for a 2 wedge special for $109.99 That was a deal I couldnt pass up on. Throw in the savings I will have when it's time to replace them (2 faces vs 2 new wedges) and you cant beat it.

Everything I see is pretty much love/hate on the xFTs. Besides the shanks I had last week with them, I love 'em.

Good luck with it.

I've picked up the shanks too- and someone actually noticed I was standing much closer with my wedges and I was taking it back waaay inside. That big In to OUT path leads with the hosel and if you don't get it back to square- boom shank.

Someone once told me a more inside path back is OK with wedges , and i listened. Bc it did help for the time. But I've since gone back to my stock iron swing that some have said is too far outside going back, but perfectly on plane coming down.

That really tightened up my wedge play and I'm ok with the path now.

I've picked up the shanks too- and someone actually noticed I was standing much closer with my wedges and I was taking it back waaay inside. That big In to OUT path leads with the hosel and if you don't get it back to square- boom shank.

Someone once told me a more inside path back is OK with wedges , and i listened. Bc it did help for the time. But I've since gone back to my stock iron swing that some have said is too far outside going back, but perfectly on plane coming down.

That really tightened up my wedge play and I'm ok with the path now.

Matt, after struggling all Summer with a wrist issue and then an over the top move, my daughter reverted to an inside takeaway. She loads it beautifully at the top and is making a fantastic weight shift to the left side. She's smashing the ball. But with anything under a 3/4 swing with wedges it was death. She has to stay on plane to hit those shots. Two semi-shanks cost her her first tournament win. Inside takeaway with a half wedge shot takes a lot of manipulation of the clubface to get it square at impact in my opinion. On plane and connected is the way to go with those shots.

You were great at that in FL. Quit screwing around with your swing.

Kevin

I played a round Sunday for my matchplay league. The group plays shorter tees (5700) which meant I have a lot of wedges into greens if I am hitting my driver remotely well. The xFT's performed superbly and I gave myself a lot of birdie opportunities. The greens were firm which took a little getting used to. I am not used to seeing wedge shots bounce and I just had to hit the shots a little shorter. I ended up shooting a 73 (+2) with 3 birdies and owe a lot of the that to the xFT's. I am extremely comfortable when I have one of these wedges in hand.

Highlight: I holed a 20 yard flop shot for a bird!
Great stuff!

Excellent point. I picked up both my 52* & 56* for a 2 wedge special for $109.99 That was a deal I couldnt pass up on. Throw in the savings I will have when it's time to replace them (2 faces vs 2 new wedges) and you cant beat it.

EPIC DEAL. Where was that?

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Belbs

It is interesting to hear that you are experiencing a big distance gap between you 50* and PW, because I am experiencing just the same thing. I though it was just me. I can't figure it out though it is weird because they are only 3* apart yet I am seeing about a 15 yard difference between the two.

It is interesting to hear that you are experiencing a big distance gap between you 50* and PW, because I am experiencing just the same thing. I though it was just me. I can't figure it out though it is weird because they are only 3* apart yet I am seeing about a 15 yard difference between the two.

Yeah mine is like 20 y. 115 max for the 50 and 135+ for the pw. I generally just choke down on the pw a bit now. But it it strange. The same 3* gap for the rest of the irons us maybe 10y at the most.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

Glad I read this. I now understand why I was hanksing my wedges for awhile. I thought that was the case, but never asked.

You guys probably already know this but...with Golfsmith's Labor Day Sale you can get the TaylorMade xFT Wedges for $76.49 (new) as the are NOT excluded. I've read a lot of info about them on this thread and getting down in the $70's from a major OEM for their latest tech equipment makes it a lot easier to drop one in the bag and see if you guys are lying! LOL! Thanks again to all of you who dedicate your time to educate people like me....HOWEVER....THP seems to be costing me tons of dough since it becomes a non-stop parade of "in my face, must have equipment, day after day...I sure hope THP has a sister site similar to an AA type situation!

You guys probably already know this but...with Golfsmith's Labor Day Sale you can get the TaylorMade xFT Wedges for $76.49 (new) as the are NOT excluded. I've read a lot of info about them on this thread and getting down in the $70's from a major OEM for their latest tech equipment makes it a lot easier to drop one in the bag and see if you guys are lying! LOL! Thanks again to all of you who dedicate your time to educate people like me....HOWEVER....THP seems to be costing me tons of dough since it becomes a non-stop parade of "in my face, must have equipment, day after day...I sure hope THP has a sister site similar to an AA type situation!

Good post and the bolded is funny.

I did some testing over the summer and of those I got outside on the grass the XFT's were the best fit for me, other than my standard CG14's. I never pulled the trigger with my job at issue, but still don't think a person can go wrong with these. I do wonder how often people change the face plates? My CG14 looks pretty worn out, yet I continue to get great spin, (56*). I have to think if I had the face plates I would have changed out long ago, possibly prematurely.

Good post and the bolded is funny.

I did some testing over the summer and of those I got outside on the grass the XFT's were the best fit for me, other than my standard CG14's. I never pulled the trigger with my job at issue, but still don't think a person can go wrong with these. I do wonder how often people change the face plates? My CG14 looks pretty worn out, yet I continue to get great spin, (56*). I have to think if I had the face plates I would have changed out long ago, possibly prematurely.

The prematurely thing is what would get me too...as it's my philosophy that 3 bad shots in a row is the equipment's fault! (Bad shot 1 = accident, Bad shot 2 = change balls, Bad shot 3 = get new equipment cause clearly something is wrong with these)

Not trying to take this thread off track but had a few question about the XFT Questions: What is the difference between the XFT and the Z-milled TP XFT, i tried looking on TM for explaination but didnt find what im looking for. What range or loft would Z-milled be more benificial. And whats the diffence between the Z-milled and C-Grind (ive researched CG and it seems great for higher loft wedges but want to get a true grasp of the differences). Which is more user friendly and/or effective. Does any one have a link or a pics of the wedge faces. The reason i am asking is becuase i will probably be buying a 60 wedge and possibly a 50 or 52 and i just would like to know the pro and cons so i can see which would benifit me more, i would like to hit them to see which would fit me more but in all honesty with the amount of time before i get home i will end up buying online.

The Z-TP face plate conforms to the new USGA regs on groove size, which isn't an issue for amateurs right now.

The C-grind is something totally different. It is grinding done on the sole of the club to make it easier to open/close. It's only available on the 58 and 60.

I wanted to give this thread a bump back up. As you know I play the 50* xFT and love it but I just got a 60* with DG Spinner in a trade from member Bridges, holy smokes is this wedge great. I have said many many times my Jaws wedges are the best I have played for me and it would take a lot to knock them out of my bag, so far the 60* xFT with DG Spinner has done just that to the Jaws 60*. I dont get the spin like I do with the Jaws (can suck them back) but I can hold greens and check them up with no problems at all. Really digging this combo

I wanted to give this thread a bump back up. As you know I play the 50* xFT and love it but I just got a 60* with DG Spinner in a trade from member Bridges, holy smokes is this wedge great. I have said many many times my Jaws wedges are the best I have played for me and it would take a lot to knock them out of my bag, so far the 60* xFT with DG Spinner has done just that to the Jaws 60*. I dont get the spin like I do with the Jaws (can suck them back) but I can hold greens and check them up with no problems at all. Really digging this combo

Those spinner shafts have worked for alot of people on the site. I have tried them and not had much success. I do love these wedges with the Hi Rev shafts from KBS though; my short game is geting better each time out.

Those spinner shafts have worked for alot of people on the site. I have tried them and not had much success. I do love these wedges with the Hi Rev shafts from KBS though; my short game is geting better each time out.

glad your short game is getting better WR, personally I like the DG Spinner a lot better than the KBS Hi Rev that comes stock in these.

glad your short game is getting better WR, personally I like the DG Spinner a lot better than the KBS Hi Rev that comes stock in these.

That is the beauty of golf my friend, so many options out there everyone can find something that works for them if they become knowledgeable and they trust the information provided to them.

Back