Teach Me About Shipping Golf Clubs

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
So I sold a putter and go to FedEx to ship it. The cheapest option was $64.44! Wow!!!!! I went ahead a did it. I was there and wanted to get it done, but I may have learned a lesson about how not to ship a putter.

How do you guys ship golf clubs?

Try myhermes.

USPS Priority.

So I sold a putter and go to FedEx to ship it. The cheapest option was $64.44! Wow!!!!! I went ahead a did it. I was there and wanted to get it done, but I may have learned a lesson about how not to ship a putter.

How do you guys ship golf clubs?

USPS... usually in the $25 range

I usually grab old golf club boxes out of the recycling behind this golf store near me to save on $ for a vessel

I shipped a set of irons UPS for $25.

UPS & USPS are usually the best. Depends on destination, insurance & all that other shiznit that goes along with it. :act-up:

USPS and tell them you need to ship cheapest way with tracking. Size of the box and weight matter, but shouldn’t be anymore than $15

USPS is big on the 48" rule, too. If your box is 48&1/8" the price sky rockets. Had one that was a little over one time, guy at the counter asked me how much room I had at the top. I said it was a driver, so a couple inches of packing material. He cut it open, sliced the sides to make the flaps fold in a different place making the closed box shorter and then taped it back up. Saved me quite a few bucks.

I use priority mail and it’s usually around 12$ for a single or couple clubs. If it’s cross country it might go up a bit. I’ve also found it depends even who you get at the post office.

I’ve also found it depends even who you get at the post office.

It should not. If someone is charging more than they should, then call them out. Now, if someone is giving discounts and they shouldn't, then maybe keep quiet about it. :clown:

It should not. If someone is charging more than they should, then call them out. Now, if someone is giving discounts and they shouldn't, then maybe keep quiet about it. :clown:
Maybe less of their charging more than they should than there being the occasionally more lenient employee who won't charge for a package slightly over allotted dimensions.

My local place was good for that, just one person would charge me the literal price every time. The others would knock it down a price point as long as the package was close.

When I finally got my own scale, I paid closer attention to dimensions and weight and their affect on cost.

Last edited:
Maybe less of their charging more than they should than there being the occasionally more lenient employee who won't charge for a package slightly over allotted dimensions.

My local place was good for that, just one person would charge me the literal price every time. The others would knock it down a price point as long as the package was close.

When I finally got my own scale, I paid closer attention to dimensions and weight and their affect on cost.

That's a fantastic way for it to get returned to sender by someone along the way. I run a business that offers a postal service to the public as a very small part of the business and as a service to our customers. We don't make a dime off of it. Now granted we are not a part of the post office but if we make an error in pricing (look at the rate chart wrong, etc) that package is getting returned to sender.

I've seen multiple return to sender issues over 11¢. If a large document style envelope has a metal fastener you have to charge eleven more cents for it unless you cover it with tape. This was a change that was made and was unbeknownst to us for a while when they changed it. I think it has to be sorted different due to this thus the higher price.

Maybe it makes a difference if it's a price label generated by the post office itself but I can tell you for certain that they ship anything back to sender that's not correctly priced from an outside postage meter.

As to the OP, 62.00 to ship? Holy mackerel! Looking at my postal chart at work right now the most a 2# package costs anywhere in the US is 12.90. I think it's only insured for 50.00 at that point but that's priority, so 2-3 days. Unless it was a belly putter that required a over 48" box. I would definitely look into USPS next time. They've always been the cheapest for anything I've shipped.

Go to the post office. Depending on the weight, you can Priority it for less than $15.
I recently sent a hybrid club Priority to PA from CA, it came out to 9 bucks. Got there in 2 days.

Were you shipping overnight with insurance or something? Jesus. I shipped a set of irons to California from Michigan for $30 fully insured 3 days with tracking via USPS. You got raked.

USPS has priority mail medium shipping tubes. You can order these on the USPS site under supplies. They will hold a putter up to about 38 inches. These are 3 sides tubes and are great for blade putters. As others have said don’t use a box much longer than the club that your shipping. That’s a way to keep the cost down.

That's a fantastic way for it to get returned to sender by someone along the way. I run a business that offers a postal service to the public as a very small part of the business and as a service to our customers. We don't make a dime off of it. Now granted we are not a part of the post office but if we make an error in pricing (look at the rate chart wrong, etc) that package is getting returned to sender.

I've seen multiple return to sender issues over 11¢. If a large document style envelope has a metal fastener you have to charge eleven more cents for it unless you cover it with tape. This was a change that was made and was unbeknownst to us for a while when they changed it. I think it has to be sorted different due to this thus the higher price.

Maybe it makes a difference if it's a price label generated by the post office itself but I can tell you for certain that they ship anything back to sender that's not correctly priced from an outside postage meter.

As to the OP, 62.00 to ship? Holy mackerel! Looking at my postal chart at work right now the most a 2# package costs anywhere in the US is 12.90. I think it's only insured for 50.00 at that point but that's priority, so 2-3 days. Unless it was a belly putter that required a over 48" box. I would definitely look into USPS next time. They've always been the cheapest for anything I've shipped.
I added the end about the scale to mean that I paid closer attention to dimensions and cost in that I made whatever alterations necessary prior to generating a label. I should have added that as reading it back makes it seem like I aimed to scam, that's not the case at all.

When I'd later drop off the package after I'd generate my own label, they'd always confirm.

When they'd allow for differences was before I had the scale nor knowledge and would come to them with package in hand awaiting postage. Purely their decision, not mine.

Back