Team Golf matches - where do you want to go in the lineup?

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Shamble and alternate shot, do you want to lead off, play in the middle or be the anchor match?

It's 4-4 in the Morgan Cup after Saturday's matches. Where do you want to go in the singles lineup? First, last or another spot? Let's say you're the Captain, how would you put out your team for singles?

I always want the stick and go first...set the match

Last edited:
Lead off and get the ugliness out of the way so the other guys can make up for it. :ROFLMAO:

I think it would be fun to be in the anchor match when it comes down to that. I like that pressure during a match play. I seem to focus more and play better.

I play in a lot of Pro Ams - with a couple different great local Pros. They most of the time ask me to lead of so they have one 235 yards down the middle , the rest can follow, lead or get the heck outa the way. Love it.:D

where ever the captain puts me, 1-4 it wouldnt matter to me.
first could set the tone
middle could save
last could mess up or save
a lot of times we go highest handicap goes first and so on
and if that doesnt work we figure out in the first 3 holes where to go
putting could be different, high handicapper could be a good putter

Wouldn't matter to me but I think you could do well to put the higher caps in the middle to keep pressure off them, and sprinkle the lower/mid caps in the front and back.

Let me adjust, in match play i want to set the tone

Captains Choice or Shamble, i like hitting last....stick one in the middle and i will bomb it

I don't want to lie. Although I'm a competitor and a grinder, I would not excel in the last match. It has nothing to do with handicap or ability and everything to do with mental framework. So, anywhere other than last.

I want to be the deciding point or first out so I can win 7&5 then go watch the team do work.

Overall I'm always willing to go wherever my Captain asks me to but I would of course love to be the anchor match with the chance to bring home a win for my team. If not the anchor I think going out first to try and set a tone would be my next preference.

As far as my strategy as Captain, I guess I'd do a lot of research as to what the best game plan is ahead of time. My first thought is to send out my high handicaps first to try and take advantage of their pops and also maybe put a little less pressure on them.

Singles.....where ever I'm put.

Anywhere the captain puts me is fine, but I do think playing toward the end of the lineup is fun.

If I am the Captain I am going off last. If playing for the Captain send me off first.

I'll go in the rubber match. I love pressure. 2 weeks ago I had just lost hole 16 to go 2 down 2 to go in the last match on our yearly golf trip when the other foursome finished and came back to meet us (we stopped for some lightning they kept playing).

My partner in my group had lost his match already and they informed me I had to tie for our team to win the weekend (we do Ryder Cup style on our trip). The next hole was a 140 yard par 3. I stuck it to 4' and made a birdie to win.

The final hole was a 580 yard par 5. We both hit in the water off the tee and hit our 3rd shots pretty good from the drop. I was 205 to the green hitting directly over water. He was about 170 to the same green but farther right than me so he had some dry ground to run up with. I got to go first and smoked my fairway wood directly at the pin. It landed on the front of the green and ended up about 20' away. He did not get clean contact and came up short by about 30 yards. He chucked his chip and by the time he got on the green I was up 3 and he conceded. That was with all 8 of our buddies watching and yapping during both holes. I really like hitting big shots.

Last edited:
This can only be answered after I know how many people are watching me from the tee box on 1.....

I have THP performance anxiety. I will cold top my first drive no matter what the first time I play with THP’ers.

They’ll then wonder why TF I’m playing the back tees and I’m usually ok from there. Usually...

I would want to go out first and set the tone.

I would want to be the anchor match in case it comes down to me I want to be in the spot to deliver the win.

If I'm the captain I want to go out first. Set the tone. The captain can do whatever he wants with me. Send me out, hold me until last, I don't care. I don't mind going last though, because I prefer to know where we're at towards the end, and I'm usually one of the few I play with who excels later in the day.

First Alternate! :unsure:

In no way does my game scream "put me at anchor" but that's where I'd want to be. I enjoy the competition and pressure, now if only I had the game to back it up :ROFLMAO:

I would want to be in the anchor match of any format.

As a Captain, I would probably send out my two strongest players first, to try to set a winning tone, and last, to give the team a better chance if it comes down to the wire.

Winners want the ball! I don’t want to sit back and watch I want the action. I’d play wherever the captain wants me

Shamble and alternate shot, do you want to lead off, play in the middle or be the anchor match?

It's 4-4 in the Morgan Cup after Saturday's matches. Where do you want to go in the singles lineup? First, last or another spot? Let's say you're the Captain, how would you put out your team for singles?

Hold on let me post my pairings... ;););)

Solid question - if I was a player, put me out when it counts, earlier or late
Doesn’t matter but want my mat h to count for something

Back