Video Tech Talk: Cleveland Launcher UHX Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We sat down with Jeff Brunski, head of R&D at Cleveland Golf, to discuss the new Cleveland Launcher UHX irons.

Cool animation with the box opening and the different elements of the hollow irons being showcased. I can see these being a hit among THPers. When I think game improvement and progressive sets, I think first of the Cobra F line and then that’s really it. What I like about Cleveland’s take from the vid is that they are focused on these as scoring options rather than all out distance monsters. It sets them apart imo. I can see a lot of THPers (myself included) enjoying this design.

Personally, I know I need that extra ball speed and help in the 5i. It helps also in the 6i, but I think I can keep an ok gap from the 7i. 6i to 5i everything said in the vid holds true. Not enough speed and launch to gap properly without a lot of help. The CF16 I game do a good job there. Adding in some forgiveness though is intriguing to me.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Good stuff.

I think these will be a home run because most average Joe golfers will not about admit they need now help in the longer irons because many don't like heart big heads and I think Cleveland has nailed this with the hollow design

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

I gotta try these............

I really like the way Cleveland is going. These definitely look like a higher end club, but with average golfers in mind. Any chance future endeavors will include forged heads, or is that just too much for what they see from this line?

I really like the way Cleveland is going. These definitely look like a higher end club, but with average golfers in mind. Any chance future endeavors will include forged heads, or is that just too much for what they see from this line?

I wouldn't sweat that part.

These are a blast to hit.

• Admin

From a golfer stand point, it probably doesn't matter. Although they do have Srixon for those that really want to head into the forged direction.

Really enjoyed the video. The wedge grooves in the higher irons sounds really intriguing and helpful. The head construction being hollow bodied for the 7 and lower and standard cavity back for 8 and higher is basically the head construction I am playing in my current iron set which I do like.

I know its there, but from the release pictures and such you really don't see the V sole. There was a picture I seen and it showed it well but most I have seen doesn't show it.

Really interesting concept with these irons and I love that concept! I think these could be a homerun for Cleveland!

Great video. These are very intriguing to me. I like the idea of a progressive set. I think they look great

I'm pretty much set with my irons for a while, but I've been really pondering adding a utility/driving iron to the bag lately. One of these could be a real possibility sometime soon, maybe a 4-iron????

From a golfer stand point, it probably doesn't matter. Although they do have Srixon for those that really want to head into the forged direction.
I guess that's what I was asking. The CBX were just a straight GI iron that was similar to the 585 in terms of market share. It seems like they step on their feet by having two very similar irons in the same category under the same company. I didn't know if the plans were to compete with Srixon or continue to do their own thing.

Great video

I guess that's what I was asking. The CBX were just a straight GI iron that was similar to the 585 in terms of market share. It seems like they step on their feet by having two very similar irons in the same category under the same company. I didn't know if the plans were to compete with Srixon or continue to do their own thing.

Pretty much just doing their own thing. You will continue to see different price points and these are a bit different, despite the category that gets used. These are hollow leading up to the scoring clubs, etc.

Looking forward to trying the UHX irons. Like the idea of having wedge grooves.?

Wanted to bring this back to the top for those that missed it.

the thing that stuck out to me when i watched the video earlier was the wedge grooves on the iron face. my first question is how do “normal” iron grooves differ from wedge grooves? and my second question is why would we NOT want wedge grooves on an iron?

the thing that stuck out to me when i watched the video earlier was the wedge grooves on the iron face. my first question is how do “normal” iron grooves differ from wedge grooves? and my second question is why would we NOT want wedge grooves on an iron?

There are a number of different groove configurations.
Some are progressive in nature where they change throughout the set. Others are similar but aren’t discussed much. In general, there can be differences in terms of channel depth, edge sharpness, etc.

Saw some of these in the wild today (meaning in someone else’s bag). Two people at the range had matching sets.

I hope everyone is keeping an eye on these, I hit them a few months ago and thought they were really good. Very aesthetically well done all around, and I thought they felt good and looked nice at address. I remember they worked as advertised on higher launch angle.

Enjoyed rewatching that video ?

Saw some of these in the wild today (meaning in someone else’s bag). Two people at the range had matching sets.
Love that this video got a bump. Talking with Jeff is awesome.

I still think this is a sleeper iron set this year.

I love my set so far. I probably have about 10 rounds in with them and it’s the first set that is actually easy for me to get the the long irons up in the air with. It’s been a great match so far with with Aeortech Steelfibers. Can’t wait for the season to start

Back