Tell 3 things about yourself that people on here don't know

1. In college I was 5'11 3/4" (measured during a PE class). After college I joined the Army and was Airborne for 4 years. When I got out of the Army I was 5'10 1/2". Running and Jumping really compresses the vertebrae.

2. I've won a state championship in 8-ball (billiards) and was competing at a national, amateur, level for a couple of years.

3. I have a family member on the PGA Tour.

1. I've been to 43 countries, 26 US States and 8 Canadian provinces. And lived in 8 different countries in the last 20 years.

2. I was held hostage in Cambodia in 1993 for 8 hours and I am still not sure who they were or what they wanted.

3. I married my wife 2 months after I met her, and we had only actually spent 10 days together before the ceremony.

1. I've been to 43 countries, 26 US States and 8 Canadian provinces. And lived in 8 different countries in the last 20 years.

2. I was held hostage in Cambodia in 1993 for 8 hours and I am still not sure who they were or what they wanted.

3. I married my wife 2 months after I met her, and we had only actually spent 10 days together before the ceremony.

Man what i was gonna type doesn't sound so cool now!

Hmmm....

1) I was almost born an American in Hartford, Connecticut.

2) I once maced myself in the eyes just to see what it was like

3) Every Caribbean vacation I have taken I can remember getting violently ill on.

I only require 4 hours of sleep a day.

I sometimes confuse cheesecake for pie.

River Kayaking is a hobby of mine.

1. I have a fraternal twin brother named Andrew who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. We were adopted as infants as a 2 for 1 special, as the agency didn't want to seperate us.

2. I have been a performer for my entire life. I was in a capella choirs for the majority of my life singing in competitions. I was also an actor and studied theater/opera at university. I have performed in many stage productions in regular and musical theater. I have also been the front man for a couple of cover bands over the years.

3. I founded a secret club in high school called the "Society of the Midnight Golfers". We snuck on to local courses at night and played golf. We all had aliases. The rules of the club were: 1. You must wear plaid. 2. You can only use 1 club. 3. You must wear a funny hat. 4. Your 1st shot had to be hit with your pants down.

In 2005 I survived colon cancer by about 4 months. (had it not been caught in May of 2005, I would have been in the ground by October)

I'm 6'1 - 235lbs

I'm a closet Jersey Shore fan. (wow...did I really type that last one?)

Were certainly glad your still around and doin good Jake.

Pretty boring stuff for me:
1. I set a 2 mile cross country course record that stood over 20 years, until they changed courses.

2. My ex-wife and I were road raged in KC, Mo on the way to the airport in 2000. We were ok, but the guy who hit us hit the railing of the bridge we were on and had a huge head injury. I'm the first one to his car wanting a piece or two of him and end up having to hold pressure on his head to stop the bleeding while listening to him say "Did anyone see that guy hit me", lol.

3. I have the three best kids in the world and have followed that up with the three sweetest grandkids ever. I was the youngest of 5 kids and my mom was the middle child of 13 kids, haha. All thirteen lived into their retired age's.

edit: I've gained 14 pounds since joining THP!

I originally went to school for Broadcasting (turned down a summer radio gig to move closer to my girlfriend...I married her)

I was robbed at gunpoint in my own home when I was a Junior in highschool, pistol whipped ten times in the head

I used to play tournament paintball around the state of Indiana. With 3 kids it got too expensive so I "retired".

Hmmmm. Great thread. Let's see
My child hood golf idol was John Daly and I modeled my golf game after his (and it hurts me when JB posts disparaging remarks about him - kidding)

I have had 4 operations in my life. First was at about 3 months old , last one was a couple years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out.

When I graduated high school I was 6'2" tall and weighed 140lbs, but I still had had a tummy. I have since discovered beer and chicken wings and am over 200lbs :)

This thread is so fun! Ok here goes...

1) I don't care too much for seafood (will eat white fish, salmon (only wild), and shellfish, but no clams) and will not eat raw fish (sushi, sashimi or otherwise - which is pretty blasphemous in my house - as even my 2 y.o and 5 y.o eat sashimi). This drives my seafood loving husband and dad insane.

2) I was an insurance underwriter in my past professional life (personal lines).

3) After graduating from college, I seriously considered becoming an ASL interpreter and still think about doing it. I don't know any deaf people (no friends or relatives who are deaf), but I adore ASL as a language and really respect deaf culture.

1: I have an IQ measured in the high 140's, can talk about various theories of existence all day long but have a hard time changing a light blulb or building something from Ikea

2: Was on my way to playing footie professionally in Europe and then blew both ACL's

3: Use to do statisitcal analysis for a medical company about vaccines. After what I saw, please at least consider vaccinating your children

And CB I just don't know about the hockey comment...

1. I played and coached college baseball

2. I can ride a bike backwards

3. I am only 5'6 160lbs and can deadlift 465lbs.

1: I have an IQ measured in the high 140's, can talk about various theories of existence all day long but have a hard time changing a light blulb or building something from Ikea

2: Was on my way to playing footie professionally in Europe and then blew both ACL's

3: Use to do statisitcal analysis for a medical company about vaccines. After what I saw, please at least consider vaccinating your children

And CB I just don't know about the hockey comment...

Great stuff Tuna but I just can't stand hockey, and the more people try and make me think I have to like hockey the less I like it.

Great stuff Tuna but I just can't stand hockey, and the more people try and make me think I have to like hockey the less I like it.

Isn't lacrosse the national sport of canada anyways?

I don't think you have to like it, I know plenty of people that don't. If you didn't grow up watching it with your family chances are you won't become a fan later on. It's more along the lines of if you say you can't stand hockey, people think you mean even in the context of the World Juniors or the Olympics and then you're not anti-hockey but anti-Canadian. Thus do you get the ire of people as international hockey is a huge part of the countries identity. Just my theory anyways.

Edit:

Gus: For the official government papers? Yes it is. In actuality? No, it's not. Most lacrosse boxes are either hockey rinks with the ice removed. If a place actually has an outdoor lacrosse box, 90% of it's use will be for "street" hockey instead.

I don't think you have to like it, I know plenty of people that don't. If you didn't grow up watching it with your family chances are you won't become a fan later on. It's more along the lines of if you say you can't stand hockey, people think you mean even in the context of the World Juniors or the Olympics and then you're not anti-hockey but anti-Canadian. Thus do you get the ire of people as international hockey is a huge part of the countries identity. Just my theory anyways.

Edit:

Gus: For the official government papers? Yes it is. In actuality? No, it's not. Most lacrosse boxes are either hockey rinks with the ice removed. If a place actually has an outdoor lacrosse box, 90% of it's use will be for "street" hockey instead.

I played field lacrosse for 6 years in the states. Now that is what I call a sport.

1. I ran and finished a marathon along the fenceline of Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. And it wasn't flat by any means!

2. My son who will be born on April 12th, will have a unilateral cleft lip and palate. Everything is fixable, but I will still be the most proud dad in the whole wide world.

3. I met my wife on myspace while I was deployed....lol She picked me up from the airport when I came back. We were engaged 6 months later and married a year after that.

Well I learned something new about P4B for sure! He's a great liar, talented writer and hilarious comedian. I laughed the entire way through that post.

Thanks both of you! Yeah I'm all good now and as my wife says, "I sure got my humor back" so that's good too!

P4B -- Buddy I knew you had some humor but dude, that was some funny stuff :laughing:!

A couple more because I am bored-

Been single for my entire life, an odd thing for most teens nowadays.
Have never drank a drop of alcohol.
I have got into trouble at school several times for backtalking a teacher. I called one an idiot, another irresponsible, told one that here son graduating from JUCO was unimpressive, and told another that her myriad religious beliefs had no bearing on a math class, and that she should keep them to herself.

I have so many, but I'll pick 3:

I am the oldest of 5 children, 3 boys and the 2 youngest are girls. My father was so proud, but now, he has 7 grandchildren, 5 girls and 2 boys, one of which is mine. he's completely lost now.

I spent 6 months of my life doing meth every day, $300 worth a night, in the mid 90s. I went from 160 lbs to 130 in the first month. I have been clean and sober now since May of 1997.

I just recently got a promotion, and promptly got sick and was diagnosed diabetic all within 2 weeks. My eyesight is now finally coming around, and when it's back, I plan on teaching myself how to develop in Java, on advice from a buddy, so that I can move along again in another year or so.

Also throw out there that myself and both of my brothers are Eagle Scouts, but my troop does not participate in OA, we have the Tribe of Mic-O-Say at H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation. My son will join Tiger cubs next and then I get to go through it all again!!!!

A couple more because I am bored-

Been single for my entire life, an odd thing for most teens nowadays.
Have never drank a drop of alcohol.
I have got into trouble at school several times for backtalking a teacher. I called one an idiot, another irresponsible, told one that here son graduating from JUCO was unimpressive, and told another that her myriad religious beliefs had no bearing on a math class, and that she should keep them to herself.

You sure you werent drunk when telling your teachers all that?

I am a boring person ......LOL

1: Raised by a single Mother with 1 sibling ( older sister ) since the age of 4 , seen my dad 3 times since then , the last was to see him before he died of cancer 4 years ago .

2: Passed up a full ride Art Scholarship to Denver University in 1978 to become an Automotive Body & Paint Man for the past 32 years . ( have painted everything under the sun , from dried cow patties to a coffin that came in damaged for a little girl that was murdered )

3: The pickiest eater you'll ever meet !

A few more:

I am learning Latin.
I am pretty well regarded locally for my speech and essay writing.
I can fix most basic to moderate computer problems, from replacing parts to removing viruses.

Back