Tell me a bit about your State

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I've noticed many members are spread across the U.S. I thought it would be useful if you could say something about the State in which you live.

It doesn't need to be something straight out of wikipedia. It could be something interesting that is not widely known. Of course, you're welcome to mention something that is commonly known as well because not everyone may know it!!!

Hi, I'm Dan... 23 years old, from Boston and I'm an aquarious. I like long walks on the beach, romantic dinners, and I don't pronounce "R's" in my words. Pahk the Cahr!

I live in Virginia about 20 minutes south of the "historic triangle" of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg. This area is full of history and during the summer gets overun by tourists. We use to get the PGA Tour here at Kingsmill as a smaller event that was usually right after the British open, which usually meant weeker fields. Now it is one of the premire LPGA events, which is nice because you get to see the big name players there.

I work in a town called Poquoson{po-KO-sin}, which I believe is Indian for "floods everytime it rains". A few years ago when Hurricane Isabel came through it created a lot of flood damage, to which many still have not been able to move back in their homes yet. About 10-20% of the homes here had to be raised up after the storm.

Tempature year round is fairly moderate and we usually only have a month of extreme cold and a month of extreme heat. Which is nice for my golf game if I could find more time to get out.

So there you have it, who's next??

Intersting link How To Talk Virginian

Great things to know about Kansas (it's a joke but most of the stuff is true!):

• Your closest neighbor is more than a mile away, and you can still see him from your front porch.
  • Except in Johnson County, a Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F150 4x4 is.
  • Traffic congestion is ten cars waiting to pass a combine on the highway.
  • The radio buttons on a new car are all preset to country.
  • You've had classes canceled for heat and snow in the same month.
  • You support the Chiefs through thick and thin.
  • No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.
  • You have seen people wear bib overalls to funerals and weddings.
  • You've never met any celebrities. (Bob Dole isn't a celebrity, he's your neighbor.)
  • You can say 110 degrees without fainting.
  • You know in your heart that KU can beat Oklahoma in football.
  • Hot water now comes out of both taps.
  • Going on vacation means going to Hutch to the fair, Abilene to Ike's house or Boot Hill to see Miss Kitty.
  • Your excuse for being late is the cows got out, and the boss accepts it MANY times
  • Your main drag in town is two blocks long.
  • You've been hit by enough tornados to know there is no such thing as Oz
  • You can properly pronounce Salina, Basehor, Olathe, Chautauqua and Osawatomie.
  • You've been to see Santa at the the North Pole in Colorado Springs more than once.
  • You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
  • What in the world is a vegetarian special? We don't even know what that is much less serve it at the local diner.
  • The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.
  • You're ready to shoot the next person who asks about Toto or Dorothy
  • You have to travel 20 miles just to go to the nearest mall.
  • The terms Sooners, Huskers and Missouri Tigers cause the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up straight and your blood pressure to rise.
  • You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.
  • You prefer the Little Apple over the Big Apple as a place to live.
  • You had at least one summer job that was bucking bails or custom cutting.
  • You understand the difference between 3.2 and 6 point, and more than once you've made a beer run to another state.
  • You really do think Sunflowers are beautiful.
  • You went to skating parties as a kid.
  • Your earliest driving lessons were in a field while picking up hay.
  • You wave to all the oncoming traffic.
  • You know that cow pies aren’t made of beef.
  • There’s a tornado warning and the whole town is outside looking for it.
  • Those strange lights you see at night is a farmer working late in the field – not a UFO.
  • You don’t buy all your vegetables at the grocery store.
  • You go to Wal-Mart to shop.
  • Using the elevator involves a corn truck.
  • You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.
  • You can make instant sun tea.
  • You discover that in July, it takes only two fingers to drive your car.
  • You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.
  • Down south means Oklahoma .
  • It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets.
  • You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
  • You know everything goes better with Ranch.
  • You know the real way to pronounce the name of Clintons state and the river... arKANSAS.
  • You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m. before work.
  • You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
  • Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
  • The only tourists you see are on the way to Colorado.
  • You instantly know someone is from Johnson County when they call everything west of Topeka... Western Kansas.
  • It's a bottle or a can of pop here. Soda is something you bake a cake with.
  • You think the opening day of pheasant season is a national holiday.

OK, seriously (just a few):
  • Kansas is not flat. We have no mountains, but it's not level either.
  • No cows roaming main street.
  • I may live in "Tornado Alley" but I have never seen one. Closest one has been to me was over a mile away and that was over 30 years ago.
  • Our gas prices are among the cheapest in the nation, usually.
  • My $160,000 house on 1/4 acre is worth close to a million in California. If I could only find a way to move both!
  • Our baseball team is the "T-Bones". They are about the lowest level of minor leagues you can find. The Royals are about 25 miles away from me in Missouri. The Chiefs play in another stadium in the same parking lot.
  • The college I went to was in Pittsburg (without the H) and last I knew were the only school/sports team that has a Gorilla as their mascot.

Hi, I'm Dan... 23 years old, from Boston and I'm an aquarious. I like long walks on the beach, romantic dinners, and I don't pronounce "R's" in my words. Pahk the Cahr!

It's a Hahvahd Bah... LOL, that's what I always think of. You like apples?

Texas - lots of folks think it's flat, dusty, hot and full of cowboys and thick Texas accents. I live in hill country, which is beautifully, um, hilly, and green. It is a fair 70 something here - gets hot, but not nearly always. With the university here there is quite a bit of diversity and not a lot of Texas accents, you hear one on occasion. No one rides horses, not around here. We have the world's largest population of bats under the Congress bridge (which is the bridge that leads to, um, the house of Congress). The Texas State Flying Mammal is the bat. That might not seem hilarious to anyone until you know the bat is the only flying mammal. Also interesting - six flags have flown over Texas (hence the amusement park name,) including the flag for the Republic of Texas. It's the only state flag allowed to fly as high as the US flag, since it was once it's own republic.

I grew up in Minnesota. A lot of people think it's frigid cold and full of thick Minnesotan accents. Both are true. It does however have equally sweltering summers, and beautiful North Country to enjoy at those times. Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota but not the capital, the capital is St. Paul. They are next to each other separated by the river. The Twin Cities popped up because it's where the Mississippi river and the Minnesota river converge, and an important trade and military spot (evidenced by the historic fort still standing). Minneapolis also has a university and is also considered a cultural hub, many call it the third largest city for theater (next to NYC and LA). That's not hot air, a lot of very famous troupes visit, for eg, I saw Sir Ian McKellen and the Royal Shakespeare Co before I graduated (they performed in only the three cities).

, and I don't pronounce "R's" in my words. Pahk the Cahr!

When I was in Maine this summer my girlfriend kept yelling at me everytime we would go to Dunkin Doughnuts. I would order a Iced Coffee and when they asked me how I wanted it, I would over exagerate the " Cream and Sugaaahhr". New England talk is awesome.

Anyway back to the original topic, I live in Southern California, we are much different then Northern California. We have nice weather all year, and they get rain and cold. We say "dude" and "F n A" and they say "hell a". We have laid back Los Angeles and they have the uptight Bay Area. Over all California is pretty awesome, but just because of the weather. I grew up in Chatsworth, which is a suburb of Los Angeles. Its a horse town but it also has the honor of being the capital of the adult entertainment industry. Its the only place I can think of where on any day I can go golfing, surfing, snowboarding, dirt bike riding all with in 45 minutes of each other. Were also the larget producer of Agricultural products and the largest exporter in the states.

It's a Hahvahd Bah... LOL, that's what I always think of. You like apples?

"so this is a Harvahd bah huh? I thought there'd be like equations and stuff on the wall"

Here's some good ones, I added to some of them in bold:
Texas is popularly known as The Lone Star State.

The Alamo is located in San Antonio. It is where Texas defenders fell to Mexican General Santa Anna and the phrase Remember the Alamo originated. The Alamo is considered the cradle of Texas liberty and the state's most popular historic site.

The lightning whelk is the official state shell.

Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States. - While Texas was in independent nation, from 1836 - 1845, my great (however many back) grandfather served as the governor of the free state of Menard (now known as Menard county) I've had family in Texas since around the time of the American Revolution.

Although six flags have flown over Texas, there have been eight changes of government: Spanish 1519-1685, French 1685-1690, Spanish 1690-1821, Mexican 1821-1836, Republic of Texas 1836-1845, United States 1845-1861, Confederate States 1861-1865, United States 1865-present

The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island. - The King Ranch still isn't the largest ranch in the state either, how's that for a mind blower.

During the period of July 24-26, 1979, the Tropical Storm Claudette brought 45 inches of rain to an area near Alvin, Texas, contributing to more than $600 million in damages. Claudette produced the United States 24 hour rainfall record of 43 inches.

More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.

Edwards Plateau in west central Texas is the top sheep growing area in the country.

Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.

The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.

Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.

A coastal live oak located near Fulton is the oldest tree in the state. The tree has an estimated age of more than 1,500 years.

Sam Houston, arguably the most famous Texan, was actually born in Virginia. Houston served as governor of Tennessee before coming to Texas. - He managed to get himself involved in a gun battle (duel) shortly after arriving in Texas, and wound up shooting his opponent in the groin, while biting a bullet in his teeth to help calm his nerves.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

When Texas was annexed in 1845 it retained the right to fly its flag at the same height as the national flag.

The first offensive action of the Texas Revolution occurred in Goliad on October 9, 1835 when local colonists captured the fort and town.

On December 20, 1835 the first Declaration of Texas Independence was signed in Goliad and the first flag of Texas Independence was hoisted.

The Hertzberg Circus Museum in San Antonio contains one of the largest assortments of circusana in the world.

The capital city of Austin is located on the Colorado River in south-central Texas. The capitol building is made from Texas pink granite. It served as the capital of the Republic of Texas in 1840-1842.

Austin is considered the live music capital of the world.

Texas is home to Dell and Compaq computers and central Texas is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the south.

Professional sports teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Houston Astros, Houston Comets, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, and Texas Rangers.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper. - If you've never had a Dublin, you need to. It's amazing.

The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.

In 1836 five sites served as temporary capitals of Texas: Washington-on-the-Brazos: Harrisburg: Galveston: Velasco: and Columbia. Sam Houston moved the capital to Houston in 1837. In 1839 the capital was moved to the new town of Austin.

The capitol in Austin opened May 16, 1888. The dome of the building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.

Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies.

The armadillo is the official state mammal.

Texas has the first domed stadium in the country. The structure was built in Houston and opened in April 1965.

The Houston Comets are the only team in the country to win four back-to-back WNBA championships. 1997-2000 Cynthia Cooper remains the only player to win the WNBA Championship MVP.

The worst natural disaster in United States history was caused by a hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Over 8000 deaths were recorded.

The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was Houston.

Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles.

Texas possesses three of the top ten most populous cities in the United States. These towns are Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio.

El Paso is closer to Needles, California than it is to Dallas. - this is no joke. We drove from Ensenada Baja California (Mexico) to El Paso in 10 hours, it took another 12 to get to Dallas (that was a long non-stop drive)

Texas includes 267,339 square miles, or 7.4% of the nation's total area.

The state's cattle population is estimated to be near 16 million.

More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.

More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Port Lavaca has the world's longest fishing pier. Originally part of the causeway connecting the two sides of Lavaca Bay, the center span of was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961.

The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden. It contains 38,000 rose bushes representing 500 varieties of roses set in a 22-acre garden.

Amarillo has the world's largest helium well.

The world's first rodeo was held in Pecos on July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel on Seawall Boulevard in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built entirely over the water.

The Heisman trophy is named for John William Heisman the first full-time coach and athletic director at Rice University in Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other comparable area in North America.

The Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

Jalapeno pepper jelly originated in Lake Jackson and was first marketed in 1978.

C'mon Dan. That's a good start. Tell us some more about Boston. When visited there at the end of 2005, I found it a fascinating place. I walked the Heritage Trail, had a Boston Duck ride, stood in Boston Common & was taken by its history such as the fact that the British troops camped there. Boston was one of those "I shall return" places.

state of confusion here,errr, make that province of confusion

Oops Sorry NVM. I should've couched the initial question as States/Provinces across North America. I'll give you a hand with perceptions that some Australians might have about Canada. Very cold in winter (duh); is unpolluted; has beautiful wilderness; they don't like being asked "so, which part of the U.S. are you from?; gun related crime is low because of sensible gun control laws; the Canadian Rockies are better; Niagara Falls is better from Canada; the obvious one is that Canadians say "eh" at the end of each sentence/question.

C'mon Dan. That's a good start. Tell us some more about Boston. When visited there at the end of 2005, I found it a fascinating place. I walked the Heritage Trail, had a Boston Duck ride, stood in Boston Common & was taken by its history such as the fact that the British troops camped there. Boston was one of those "I shall return" places.

I ADORED Boston, even looked at grad school there. To me, history and the contemporary mesh so seamlessly, it's awesome.

Oops Sorry NVM. I should've couched the initial question as States/Provinces across North America. I'll give you a hand with perceptions that some Australians might have about Canada. Very cold in winter (duh); is unpolluted; has beautiful wilderness; they don't like being asked "so, which part of the U.S. are you from?; gun related crime is low because of sensible gun control laws; the Canadian Rockies are better; Niagara Falls is better from Canada; the obvious one is that Canadians say "eh" at the end of each sentence/question.

I'd be interested in different takes on the different provinces - I've been to most of them though at first glance I can't tell much of a difference. All I remember is the health care - don't be a foreigner if you think you might get really sick there. Uff da!

I live in Virginia about 20 minutes south of the "historic triangle" of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg. ...

Tempature year round is fairly moderate and we usually only have a month of extreme cold and a month of extreme heat. Which is nice for my golf game if I could find more time to get out.

Intersting link How To Talk Virginian

Thanks Craig Mac. Virginia sounds a very livable state. As far as learning to talk 'Virginian" I think I'll leave 'Fauquier" alone. I'd probably start a gun fight.

Here's some good ones, I added to some of them in bold:

Thanks Gummi Bear; fascinating facts on Texas. It gave me a good understanding of why a Texan might consider him/herself to be a 'Texan' first and (dare I say it) an American second.

Texas - lots of folks think it's flat, dusty, hot and full of cowboys and thick Texas accents. I live in hill country, which is beautifully, um, hilly, and green. .....

Julie, I was speaking with a friend's father recently who is an executive in a U.S. oil company and had lived in Houston for a number of years. He mentioned how the city is such a diverse mix because it has people from all around the world due to the oil industry.

I grew up in Minnesota. A lot of people think it's frigid cold and full of thick Minnesotan accents. Both are true. ... Minneapolis also has a university and is also considered a cultural hub ...).

Julie, as you'd know, I have a good friend in Minnesota. The movie "Fargo" didn't do Minnesotans any favours. It gave the impression that Minnesotans are a bit slow (which I know is not true) & say "yah" all of the time. I'm still trying to work out the Jesse Ventura Governorship thing. Anyway, thanks for the insight.

... I live in Southern California, we are much different then Northern California. ...
Gasman, I was interested by this. I didn't spend much time in Southern California when I visited in 2005. In fact I got out of LA as quick as possible & on the road to Northern Cal. My situation of picking up a hire car at LAX with no map & me with no idea of how to get out of L.A was nightmare stuff at the time but now I can look back & laugh. Next time I'm in the U.S. I'll be sure to check out SoCal.

I'm from Canada, and in a province where it is so cold, on most days in the winter if you are outside for more than 10-15 mins you WILL get frostbite.

i spent the 60's in Saskatchewan, left chunks of my tongue on many metal fence posts in the winter. don't dare me!

Julie, as you'd know, I have a good friend in Minnesota. The movie "Fargo" didn't do Minnesotans any favours. It gave the impression that Minnesotans are a bit slow (which I know is not true) & say "yah" all of the time. I'm still trying to work out the Jesse Ventura Governorship thing. Anyway, thanks for the insight.

Hate to burst the bubble (it's really a common mistake) - although the Cohen brothers are Minnesotan, Fargo is actually in North Dakota.

The 1998 Jesse Ventura election...had to be there. The candidates were Mayor Norm Coleman of the famous 1996 "Oh, you elected me, a democrat, to be mayor? I'm going to change into a republican!" debacle, and Hubert H. Humphrey the 3rd, a disliked atty gen and even more of a celebrity than Ventura. Ventura (also a mayor, keep in mind) was eloquent, bright, and the best candidate.

Let's see I'll list everything I can think of about Alaska

• It's cold, 60+ is hot as hell for us
  • We don't live in igloos, nor do we ride polar bears, hell there aren't even any polar bears except for in the very very north of Alaska
  • Anchorage is the biggest and most populated city, but not the capital
  • The capital is Juneau
  • We have the second smallest population in the US
  • We are the biggest state in the US
  • If you cut Alaska in half Texas would be the 3rd smallest state, take that!
  • Only 1% of Alaska's land is inhabited
  • Moose, bear, and other animals are seen frequently
  • I have been less then 5 feet from a moose that was trying to kill me
  • If you don't know how to shoot a gun then you are not considered an Alaskan
  • If you don't at least think of fixing everything with duct tape then again, you are not an Alaskan
  • I have gone to school in shorts when it was 35 degrees out, which is not uncommon of Alaskan high schoolers.
  • Most kids have played hockey in their life
  • We have a team that has gone to nationals and won
  • If you don't play hockey then you play soccer
  • We have a team that has gotten 2nd in the biggest soccer tournament in the US
  • I was part of that team. We will win next year
  • Some kids play baseball
  • One team made it to the LLWS
  • We have our own baseball league that many college players come play in the summer between their senior year and their first MLB season
  • Randy Johnson, Barry Bonds, and other famous players in the MLB have played in our league
  • Curt Shilling was born in Alaska, don't believe me? Click here
  • We also have our own Junior AA hockey league
  • We have 2 teams in the IFL (minor leagues of the AFL, indoor football)
  • We have one of the best teams in the ECHL, a minor league to the AHL and NHL
  • Scotty Gomez is from Anchorage
  • Anchorage has a very diverse population, but a lot of people are Native Alaskan, including me
  • Alaska is technically not owned by the US since we bought it from the Russians even though they did not own the state
  • There are some regions in the state that you can go to and break every US law. They are Native land and not part of the US because of the last point

Well that is all I can think of now, but if I think of anything else I will let you know.

i spent the 60's in Saskatchewan, left chunks of my tongue on many metal fence posts in the winter. don't dare me!

I could say something, but I will be nice :angel:

As far as where I am living now, all I can say is it is wet, very very wet! :smirk:

Last edited:
Let's see I'll list everything I can think of about Alaska

You forgot:

- Our Governor is dumb as wood

(sorry, but I DID manage to stay out of the Politics thread. I actually don't think she's dumb, rather an opportunistic flake with no backbone. That is all. Resume normalcy, please.)

You forgot:

(sorry, but I DID manage to stay out of the Politics thread. I actually don't think she's dumb, rather an opportunistic flake with no backbone. That is all. Resume normalcy, please.)

You forgot the most important thing Grogger31, she looks hot.
2437.gif

You forgot:

I'm not really into politics so yeah...

You forgot the most important thing Grogger31, she looks hot.
2437.gif

I'm 15, one word, NO

Back