Tell me a bit about your State

C'mon Dan. That's a good start. Tell us some more about Boston. When visited there at the end of 2005, I found it a fascinating place. I walked the Heritage Trail, had a Boston Duck ride, stood in Boston Common & was taken by its history such as the fact that the British troops camped there. Boston was one of those "I shall return" places.

It's a great city... it's relatively clean, safe and most importantly its manageable on foot. You'll see some interesting architecture and designs seem to seamlessly coexist given the difference in time.

It's amazing how a lot of the history just passes you by when you live here. I've been around it my whole life that sometimes I walk by building that are from the early 19th century.

It's a great city... it's relatively clean, safe and most importantly its manageable on foot. You'll see some interesting architecture and designs seem to seamlessly coexist given the difference in time.

It's amazing how a lot of the history just passes you by when you live here. I've been around it my whole life that sometimes I walk by building that are from the early 19th century.

Exactly DD! I grew up in Newton (15 minutes outside Boston) and my parents still live in Natick. The wife and I get up there every couple months, drop the kids, and spend the night in the city. The key is that most of Boston is walkable, as DD said. I never feel overwhelmed there as I do in, say, NYC.

Probably helps that I grew up there and went to college there, but Beantown is the city for me!

grogger! I'm from West Roxbury! Still living with my parents... it's been about a year and half since I've graduated from college. The day HAS TO come soon...

grogger! I'm from West Roxbury! Still living with my parents... it's been about a year and half since I've graduated from college. The day HAS TO come soon...

Hey, if you can save money and the folks don't drive you crazy, good for you!

Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed all of the responses to this thread & learnt a lot too. Hopefully I'm not the only one. Well done everyone. :clapp:

woodstock, ny, the most famous small town in the world. we are here because we are not all there.

ny, the empire state, we produce more maple syrup than vermont

Tennessee-Miniature Golf

Tennessee-Miniature Golf

Tennessee - Volunteer State, has western half flat & in Central Time zone.
.. Eastern half with Cumberland plateau and border with Smokey mtn of N.C.
305 mile LInear State Hiking trail being built up on the Plateau called "CT" Cumberland Trail, part of the Geat Eastern , Fla panhandle to NY.
. Chattanooga very historic with Lookout Mtn battles of the Civil War.
Prior Indian purge by British called "Trail of Tears", still Cycle run remember.
Tn river runs 650 miles both ends of state via dam system of TVA, JetSki
Ralley for 600 miles early summer.
. Miniature GOLF was invented up at ROCK CITY , Ruby Falls , Lookout mtn area overlooking Chattanooga, the RR CHOO CHOO music song city.
. Soon to be the USA home of VW auto mfg plant.
. Has a NationWide Golf Tourney event in Mid Oct each year.
.Very few Dirt roads in state. Smooth pavement almost every where in state.
. Very little snowfall each year . Get 2-3 " storms , but melted by end of day or next noon.
. River Gorge Area west of Chattanooga known as "Grand Canyon of East"

This isn't an entire state, but I grew up and spent my early adult years in Chicago, Illinois, at the bottom right-hand corner of Lake Michigan.

• It really did burn to the ground in 1871, though Mrs. O"Leary's cow had nothing to do with the fire. As a result, the entire city has been one huge (and very successful) architectural experiment ever since.
  • Almost the entire lakefront is park system. It is absolutely gorgeous.
  • The nickname, "the Windy City," comes from politicians' speeches, not the weather. That said, it is awfully darn windy. The other nickname, "the City of Big Shoulders," still holds true.
  • All Chicagoans have enormous chips on their shoulders about New York.
  • After Warsaw, Chicago has more Polish people than any city in the world. The city is a huge melting pot--you don't realize how many different kinds of caucasians there are until you hang out in Chicago.
  • We all love Cubs, even though they haven't won the World Series for 100 years. We don't expect them to.
  • Kid's Hallowe'en costumes have to be big enough to fit over a snowsuit. There's always a big blizzard in late March, and I've seen it snow on Mother's Day (second Sunday in May).
  • If you're from Chicago, every place else in Illinois is "downstate"--even parts of the state in the far northwest.
  • Chicago still has that amazing openness and semi-naive midwestern quality. I still remember the chill day a restaurant menu listed the past of the day as, "tuna noodle casserole."
  • It's been years since I've lived there, but if I had the chance, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

other than Vancouver, BC is pretty much small towns, trees and mountains. there's not a city in the province even close to the population of Vancouver.

[YOUTUBE]CpokAdwh35o[/YOUTUBE]

Kid's Hallowe'en costumes have to be big enough to fit over a snowsuit. There's always a big blizzard in late March, and I've seen it snow on Mother's Day (second Sunday in May).

Halloween Blizzard, 1991. We had the same thing you did, with the exception of that year - we abandoned costumes at that point. (And yet, still went out...)

snowtotalsc.gif
(My county would be the one at the bottom of that light purple, 28-32" streak.)

thumb3.jpg

We had a big snowfall around Halloween 1994. It was so sudden that the leaves hadn't fallen from the trees yet and it was a real wet, heavy snow so it broke tons of branches off the trees and a lot of us (me included) were without power for a week. The snow was gone in less than 2 days because it warmed back up, but the damage was done.

Here's a little humor about the great state of Ohio

You may be from Ohio (pronounced O-hi-uh ) if:
You snicker when someone's from Lima, because you think of the State Hospital.
You think all pro football teams are supposed to wear orange.
You've heard of 3.2 beer.
Schools close for the state basketball tournament.
You're proud of your state fair, but would rather go to Cedar Point.
You know all the 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and road construction.
You live less than 30 miles from some college or university.
You know what a buckeye really is, and have a recipe for candy ones.
"Toward the lake" means "north" and "toward the river" means "south."
You know if other Ohioans are from southern or northern Ohio as soon as they open their mouths.
You root for a college team though you've never taken a class there.
You can spell words like Cuyahoga, Olentangy, Bellefontaine, Tuscarawas, and Wapakoneta and you know which letter is doubled in Cincinnati.
You always visit more than two amusement parks in one Summer.
You know that Serpent Mounds were not made by snakes.
You know what game they're playing when the Mud Hens take on the Clippers.
"Vacation" means spending a day at Cedar Point or King's Island.
You measure distance in minutes.
Down South to you means Kentucky.
Your school classes were canceled because of cold.
Your school classes were canceled because of heat.
You know where Neil Armstrong grew up.
You've had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
You know what should be knee-high by the Fourth of July.
You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: "Where's my coat at?"
You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
You think of the major four food groups as beef, pork, beer, and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.
You carry jumper cables in your car.
You know what pop is.
You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
Driving is better in the Winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
The local paper covers national and international headlines on one page but requires 6 pages for sports.
You think that deer season is a national holiday. (Some schools close for opening day of Deer season)
You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
A well balanced meal contains some form of potatoes.
Trick or Treat bags always contained at least one bar of soap.
You wore a tuxedo or formal gown to a prom in a gymnasium.
School shopping included a trip to Lazarus.
No hamburger will ever compare to a Kewpie.

The humor posts probably weren't what Brad was after when he started this thread, but I think it's cool to see what goes around in email in other states. I've really only seen the Kansas and Missouri ones before.

Back