Tell me about your first round with your irons

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it all. We all get really excited to put new clubs in the bag. Personally I get most excited about new irons. Sometimes the maiden voyage is a smashing success. And sometimes it’s not.

Tell me about your first round with your current irons!

The last time I put new irons into play was my first round of last season. And I hadn’t picked up a club all off season and the ranges were closed because of Covid. So, you know where this is going. I had to use several rounds to get used to playing with the new irons.

I was overly cautious with them. By that I mean I didn't want to break something, let alone get them dirty.

Once I got past my own protective swings, (6-7 holes) and was confident enough to let it all hang out, I was good with the new stuff.

Can we keep this thread going for like another two months? K...thanks...see yah then...

I thinned the crap out of everything. It was not a good experience.

My first round with my Titleist irons was at the THP experience in Georgia. We played a shamble. I parred net birdied 7 of the 9 holes on the back to help out team win an extra prize. It was awesome!!!

Mine wasn’t great. I was tending to miss left with the short irons which frankly I still struggle with a bit. I went back to my old irons for a few rounds then went back to the fitter and they put heavier shafts in and things improved.

First round with the ZX7’s was a 77. Quite happy with it.

My first round with my Titleist irons was at the THP experience in Georgia. We played a shamble. I parred net birdied 7 of the 9 holes on the back to help out team win an extra prize. It was awesome!!!

See? That’s the kinda guy that needed to be my partners partner at my event!

I was pretty much not going to help much although I did find a successful bunt in the shamble format that at least kept him in play.

I’ve worked on my bunting since then as a worst case scenerio. I now have a very good 3w+ bunt that may kill geese but can get out there 220 or so. Throw in an ultra heavy Tx shaft and heavy weights in the head? It’s a bunter but also the only club I can attack with rage and violence (think tee after a 4 putt) with impunity. I cannot overpower it.

Me the first time I played these,
20191223_170450.jpg

I thinned the crap out of everything. It was not a good experience.

that’s almost always my experience. eventually i hit a couple decent shots. but it’s almost never a great first round.

20210221_095017.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-094555_TheGrint.jpg

Only had time for 9 first time out, only hit 4 iron down.

It was super ******* awesome went okay. ;)

Got mine in winter this year and it's been 20 degrees or so, haven't been able to use them in a round yet.

Current irons in the bag are P770s. First round out with them was at La Costa, where everything was weak and fadey. I was not happy. I played 2 more rounds with them before side lining them.

That was in October 2020. Fast forward to last week, when after playing with my old Cobras, Mizuno 921 Forged, 921 Tour, and Titleist T200s, since ditching the Taylors, the P770s are back in the bag for another go.

The second first time was much better. Better ball striking, and excellent control. Currently I am pretty happy with them, though I think I may build out a combo set with a couple of MCs or MBs in the short irons in attempt to get more spin on the greens.

Every set of iron I ever played took a minimum of ten rounds to get used to them.

Until I was selected to demo the off-the-shelf TM M4 irons for THP. My first shot and round were great, better actually than the clubs I was fitted to and had been playing.

Shift forward to the Callaway Mavrik MAX irons I was fitted to and it was the same great out-of-box experience as the TMs. They in fact have outperformed the M4s.

what about the other 11 sets you’ve put in play this year?!
None of them went that well, I don't think. Callaway seems to be the only stuff I order to my specific setup though. Everything else I'm usually working with a less ideal fit at first.

X Forged CB's went well because of that (same shaft, my length and spec). ZX7 were a little off - low spin bombs. 770's actually won me some money first time out (and a lot more shortly after). KING Tours went high and left all day in wet conditions($ Tapers). P7MC with stock KBS Tours went surprisingly well. The Apex MB (my spec) went well enough that I bought another AW at the end of the round, just in case. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was using 20 year old clubs with no grooves when I came back to golf 2 years ago and when I found I couldn't etch new and deeper grooves with a groove cleaner :) I scheduled a fitting with CC. Now I have the W-S irons and it was night and day difference, added 10-20 yards distance even compared to when I was 15 years younger. Only downside is my decreased ability to work the ball, so at some point I may try some blades to see if I prefer them to the D7's

My first round could not have gone better. I hit a lot of thin shots, which was totally on me, but the irons let me get away with it. There was an immediate comfort level and a lot of that has to do with the shaft, which was essentially a blind purchase. This transition will be completely seamless.

PXG 0211 with Accra (spelling?) shafts that were fitted had a solid 83 and hit a club longer through bag at least. Great sticks at a veteran discount with a great feel for a cast model.

But...but....but those black thingys in there....

What are those black things...?

I know...you were making waffles this morning weren’t you.... 🧇 🧇 🧇

that’s almost always my experience. eventually i hit a couple decent shots. but it’s almost never a great first round.

Yeah, I think the only exception to that rule for me was the i25s I had. Which I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of. I'm hoping the Apex Pros will be those irons for me when they show up.

Back