Tell me about your first round with your irons

Can we keep this thread going for like another two months? K...thanks...see yah then...

can we extend that to 2 1/2 possibly to 3 months? I may have sets to have first rounds with

First round with the PXG gen3s yesterday. Felt way better than the 0221s. Had some pretty nice shots with them.

The first time I played my current side which are 2019 Apex Pro’s seem like an eternity ago but it was only late May/early June of last year, which got delayed about a month from the regular opening up due to Covid. I had bought them blind direct from Callaway new in November 2019 timeframe after my season had ended. So as you can imagine I was pretty anxious to get out and hit them but no driving ranges or courses open until the first outing.

My best recollection is it went very well and I was very happy that I had not made a bad decision. My previous set was a Srixon combo set so I found the adjustment no issue as well the shafts were almost identical. Can’t remember the details of the scoring but I just was concerned about if they were easy to hit,, trajectory etc. and they delivered exactly as I thought/dreamed they would.

The ‘19 Apex Pro are such a good iron that I find very easy to hit. If everything goes according to plan I’m hoping in two months I’ll be getting my new 2021 Apex pros, assuming they get here or in that timeframe and have them out for their maiden voyage.

Mine was playing in our church's annual scramble tournament. I had picked up my new Mavrik irons from the fitter the day before and only had about 15 minutes on the range before the tournament. It had rained all night the night before, the course was soggy and we were CPO. I also was feeling bit under the weather. It was a disaster. I'm not sure that I hit more than 5-6 halfway decent shots all day.

I’m looking forward to reporting sometime in early April my first round with my ZX7’s. I don’t remember any of my first rounds with irons but there haven’t been many of those over the years, only 6 sets since 1980.

I’m looking forward to reporting sometime in early April my first round with my ZX7’s. I don’t remember any of my first rounds with irons but there haven’t been many of those over the years, only 6 sets since 1980.
I kinda wish I had the control, I think I have had 6 sets in the last 2 years and I even sold a couple of those before even taking them to the course

Grandaddy Dye course was my first round.
1st shot was a 5 iron on the 220 yard par 3 17th. Hit it hole high just off the green on the right. Rest of the round was average. Spent a lot of time missing greens long/left from the rough since my tee game was struggling.

First time I put them in play, I lost 2-1 to the #1 seed in the semi-finals of my course's senior match play but shot 38. The feel in the short irons and wedges really opened my eyes.

I kinda wish I had the control, I think I have had 6 sets in the last 2 years and I even sold a couple of those before even taking them to the course

I have 40 putters and 15 drivers so we all have our vices. :ROFLMAO:

Internet purchase and lack of confidence...lot of mishits, thin and hostel rockets.

My warmup on the range was a "oh no what did I do" moment. Every iron I grabbed out of the bag felt about a foot short.

Surprisingly I didn't blade as many shots as I expected to, but I could NOT get comfortable with the length. I was on a weekend trip for multiple rounds, and by the time the trip was over I had decided that the shafts clearly weren't correct for me.

Once I got them replaced, the first round with the correct shafts was more like a warm blanket on a cold day - it wasn't perfect ball-striking, but it definitely felt that I had made the right decision.

Was flushing them pure , maybe only 5 shots I hit wrong and thankfully was not punished too much. Ended up shooting a very good score . Normally takes me 5 rounds to warm up with new irons so I was very thankful

Hasn't happened yet. The weather isn't cooperating. At the range they're nice though

My first round with my ZX5s was a fiasco. The Fed Ex guy dropped them a couple of hours before midday tee time. I had a conference call that ran late meaning they went straight from the box to the bag to the first tee. No range time, literally the first time I'd hit them would be on the course. But of course I was so horny to hit them that I didn't care.

First hole is a short downwind par 4. I hit a great drive and only had 100 yards in, downwind. It should have been a partial gap wedge, but I HAD to hit my new clubs and tried to baby in a PW and decelerated.

The whole round went downhill from there. I had range session the next day and felt a lot better about them. I think if I would have had a chance to hit them pre-round I would have been fine.

First round with my PTX Pros was at the Conservatory as part of my first THP event. The combination of new irons and shafts, especially the shafts going from a stiff 85g steel to xstiff 125g graphite, along with nerves led to less than stellar play to say the least.

When I played the first round with my Cally Apex CF-19's last year, it was a mediocre round. I struck the ball well, but trusting the distances was a bit tough.
I think some extra adrenaline had something to do with that.

i've actually put two sets into play already this year. the first round with one of the sets i was pulling plastic off the covers to hit shots on the course. it went ok, not great but not terrible. most shots were thin, and came up short a fair bit due to mishits. next rounds out with that set were much better, so just one ok round then some really good rounds after.

the second set had its maiden voyage this past weekend. i had already spent some time on the range with the clubs. but the weather was tough to get a fair shake. i would say it actually went really well, but in better weather i think it will go even better. which is exciting! that said, it was certainly one of the more successful first rounds i've had with new sticks in awhile.

I can't remember back that far. Sometime in the mid to late 1980s. Probably was not very good. They were "No Name" clubs that weThen they sat dormant from the late 90s to just last spring.

When I drug 'em out from the shed, the grips were hard, cracked and falling apart. I put senior flex shafts and new grips on 'em and got back into it.

I bought my CF19s from another member. First round out, and first shot was a 7 Iron. Pured it and landed like 5' from the hole.

Been in love ever since. Just reshafted them. Can't wait to game them with the new shafts.

Back