Tell us about how to save $ playing golf in your area......

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I shall mention 4 ways which are specific to areas I have lived.
In Florida the SFPGA has a program you can join and it allows for play at many private clubs in the summer when most of the members are not around. They also have one day events often and sometimes at great places. I played the Championship course at PGA National for $60 via this.

In Virginia they have a VSGA VIP card...I currently have this. It's main advantage is $26 rounds in the winter at quite a few places which are charging about double that. They also have one day events at some nice places thru the summer at rates about 1/2 of standard.

In New England there is the Golfing Magazine. You buy this and you have access once or twice at a myriad of courses throughout New England at about $25 per round. I did this with a group of 16 for several years.

The last is a nation wide card called the Golfcard. This allows for discounts at a vast number of clubs. I'd say take a look at the list of courses and maybe if a number are members near you, it makes sense.

So are there any cards or ways you garner discounts at clubs near you?

Just moved here but buddy has a Public Country Club card...PCC

$65 a month all year and can play many course free if you walk, lower fees for many better courses also

I bought it so we'll see this spring

Last edited:
I’m taking a look at the VSGA site now to see what that card is about.

golf now app helps. also here, we can buy a card if the club is through park district meaning you pay about 500 dollars a summer and you get unlimited golf and range at that single course. Its a fair course i think the greens fee is fifty dollars and its 6700 yards

Hopefully local's rates will continue at the courses into the spring. Also Primetime membership offers discounts at quite a few public courses down here.

Potentially the #1 way to save money here is to play the best course in the area.
It will sound silly, but our military base 20 minutes away has an amazing course. Fees for the year? $749 for the general public. $625 if you are military.
18 hole course. Immaculate conditions. Beverage carts, restaurant, winter golf school, very good pro shop. Cart fees would be in addition, but come on, very affordable.

Put it in perspective. The janky 9 hole course in the city is $680 for the year. The crappy 18 hole course in the city is $650.

Play the best course, very much get your money's worth.

In terms of cards or anything like that that get you deals here? Really nothing. Or if there are they all require you to play during the week, teeing off mid afternoon. Not ideal.

For Phoenix....Play after 11am in the summer. 🔥🔥🔥🔥 deals.

No need for coupons or suchlike here, it's just plain cheap for anybody to play.

Golf Wichita has a membership for $102 a month to play unlimited rounds at any of their 4 public courses. Only $112 for couples, which is a great deal. They also have a heavily discounted juniors membership. If you play more than once a week, it pays for itself in savings.

When I am playing at the last minute.....Yea GolfNow Hot Deals are usually pretty good.

We have what is called a golf book, lets you play about 50 courses in KS for $25 per course. Seniors can use another $5 discount too. Only issue is they generally won't honor it on the weekend.

I kept my keys to the gates at the Country Club I worked at 20+ years ago and use glow balls. You can walk 18 no problem in 2 hours. 2am it’s just not crowded.

In season some golfnow Hot Deals. Out of season I’m friendly with the owner of a local course. I can play Anytike the greens aren’t frozen. Usually is a mud filled sludge fest.

At least we’re smart (???) enough to wear our worn out old shoes so we don’t ruin our new shoes in the muck. The problem with that is grip. The course I can play 365 (if greens aren’t frozen) has several hard uphill and downhill holes as well as enough dips and gully’s that someone in your group is going to fall on their ass and have a messed up backside and ruin a pair of pants.

Since I’m smarter than I look (not hard) I wear the worm out pair with the fresh spikes in them. I’m ruined pants free (ish) the past couple offseasons.

Up here in Maine if you're a member at any of the listed courses you can get a good deal,
This maybe the driving force this year to join a club.

My course is $500 to join. I play nearly every day at least a little on it so I definitely get my money's worth.

We have a couple course management/owner companies. One offer discounted rates and 2 free large range buckets everyday for 40 bucks a month. Awesome for us practice ho’s. Another company offers a deal for about 3-350 year with enough free rounds to make it break even and includes daily member rate discounts and other discounts. we also have a number of courses that offer decent senior rates one day a week. Then add to that the discounts you can find on online reservation sites and one can make it fairly affordable. You just have to do a little homework and visit each courses website to see what they offer

I kept my keys to the gates at the Country Club I worked at 20+ years ago and use glow balls. You can walk 18 no problem in 2 hours. 2am it’s just not crowded.

In season some golfnow Hot Deals. Out of season I’m friendly with the owner of a local course. I can play Anytike the greens aren’t frozen. Usually is a mud filled sludge fest.

At least we’re smart (???) enough to wear our worn out old shoes so we don’t ruin our new shoes in the muck. The problem with that is grip. The course I can play 365 (if greens aren’t frozen) has several hard uphill and downhill holes as well as enough dips and gully’s that someone in your group is going to fall on their ass and have a messed up backside and ruin a pair of pants.

Since I’m smarter than I look (not hard) I wear the worm out pair with the fresh spikes in them. I’m ruined pants free (ish) the past couple offseasons.
Are you for real about playing at 2am?! That's wild!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Just moved here but buddy has a Public Country Club card...PCC

$65 a month all year and can play many course free if you walk, lower fees for many better courses also

I bought it so we'll see this spring
It’s a pretty good deal if you are able and willing to travel - and not have the prime tee times. I’d get it but not a time in my life where I can travel from course to course so I play ours. My course (Wild Marsh) is part of PCC so if you’re interested come check it out this summer.

It’s a pretty good deal if you are able and willing to travel - and not have the prime tee times. I’d get it but not a time in my life where I can travel from course to course so I play ours. My course (Wild Marsh) is part of PCC so if you’re interested come check it out this summer.

Sounds good. Will be in touch this spring!

Both the county owned public courses and the city owned courses have annual discount cards that I buy.

I have the PCC card and it it the best golf investment I ever purchased. I am not sure where you live, but there are over 100 courses you can choose from. I live in the Cambridge areas and there are 3 courses within 15 miles of my home that are part of the program. The excluded times don't bother me as I am playing with the Men's club I belong to at those times.

Back