Tell us about your experience on the most difficult course you’ve ever played

KingsKraken

Reaction score
Handicap
High
I’m curious to hear about all of your experiences on the toughest course you’ve ever played.

For me, there’s no question. Hands down, it’s Wolf Creek. A friend of mine grew up with one of their groundskeepers who offered to comp our green fees. I had never even heard of Wolf Creek, but free golf is free golf, so I headed out to Vegas with no idea what I was in for.

Neither of us are good golfers, and we did not have the sense to play from the easy tees. We lost so many balls we weren’t sure we’d have enough to finish all 18, even after buying more before the back 9. The course was beating us up so badly after the first few holes that we both just started hitting from the best ball to maintain pace.

It was the most humbling experience I’ve ever had on a golf course, but one that I will never forget.

Carnoustie Scotland playing with some British friends from back in 25 mph wind with > gusts and about fifty five degrees. Was a 3 handicap at time and shot proudest 89 in my life. Some drivers would go 175 tops then next hole could hit 5 iron around 200. Was “fun” as we played skins in 2 groups and team two ball and did ok and Guinness or others was great after.

I actually have sought out the toughest golf courses....and have played many of them. My best story happened at The Shattuck at the base of Mt Monadnock in NH. I took 3 buds who were like 12/20 and 30 handicap....I told them before hand several times...Bring a lot of balls....We played 36 holes...18 from the white tees as regular golf...and then the 2nd 18 we played a scramble.....During the day I spent about 1/2 of my time searching for balls.....I found dozens beyond those we lost. These guys all worked for Travelers and they brought 8 dozen brand new balls. At days end they were all gone, along with dozens of others I had found and donated to their cause...We called this our "100 ball day"

I’m curious to hear about all of your experiences on the toughest course you’ve ever played.

For me, there’s no question. Hands down, it’s Wolf Creek. A friend of mine grew up with one of their groundskeepers who offered to comp our green fees. I had never even heard of Wolf Creek, but free golf is free golf, so I headed out to Vegas with no idea what I was in for.

Neither of us are good golfers, and we did not have the sense to play from the easy tees. We lost so many balls we weren’t sure we’d have enough to finish all 18, even after buying more before the back 9. The course was beating us up so badly after the first few holes that we both just started hitting from the best ball to maintain pace.

It was the most humbling experience I’ve ever had on a golf course, but one that I will never forget.
I shot 81 with double and triple on front but 38 on back with 18 bird...But best was my wife was at adjacent airport skydiving for first time and got a video of the fall with Wolf Creek in the background...

I shot 81 with double and triple on front but 38 on back with 18 bird...But best was my wife was at adjacent airport skydiving for first time and got a video of the fall with Wolf Creek in the background...

81 sounds about right for my front 9. 🤣

The toughest course I’ve played was Diamondback National in Abilene, TX this October. I’m not sure if numbers wise it is actually the most difficult course I’ve played, but it certainly felt that way. Both my playing partner and I were having terrible days anyway, and the course sure didn’t help. Not knowing the course made it even worse. I had at least four shots that looked great, but found trouble I couldn’t see from where I was hitting. I ended up finishing 18 with the only ball left in my bag...and I carry quite a few.

Tobacco Road in Pinehurst was biggest challenge. Only played once and it is straight up target golf, tough course first and only time out.

Whistling Straits with 15-30 mph winds gusting off of Lake Michigan. We played it back at almost 7,000 yards and I do it all over again. It’s definitely a bucket list course that lives up to the hype.

Or, got an invite to play Medinah with business associate and game went so far sideways that I had know idea what was going to happen when I took the club back. Scariest thing ever. Was over 100 after 14 holes. I was in my late 20's at the time and beyond embarrassed for my friend.

Carnoustie Scotland playing with some British friends from back in 25 mph wind with > gusts and about fifty five degrees. Was a 3 handicap at time and shot proudest 89 in my life. Some drivers would go 175 tops then next hole could hit 5 iron around 200. Was “fun” as we played skins in 2 groups and team two ball and did ok and Guinness or others was great after.
This honesty sounds like a lot of fun!

Mine was Whistling Straight. I played Blackwolf the day before and shot a respectable 85 for my ability at the time. WS - I have no idea because I stopped keeping score to try and enjoy the scenery. Wind was up and it was BRUTAL! Loved the course however!

This honesty sounds like a lot of fun!
Memorable and was in fact fun I have played all the Open circuit courses except Muirfield most as an Army doc.

Mine was Whistling Straight. I played Blackwolf the day before and shot a respectable 85 for my ability at the time. WS - I have no idea because I stopped keeping score to try and enjoy the scenery. Wind was up and it was BRUTAL! Loved the course however!
I said Carnoustie early but WS is also a stern but beautiful test of golf

Whistling Straits I got to play last day you could prior to 1st PGA there. Shot of day was 18. Duck hook drive and it's in heather and the ball is sitting on top of laid sideways grass, Like a foot off ground. Caddie hands me a PW and says chip it back to top of hill. I say how far in. He says 220. I say Hand me my driver.. He kinda laughs and I say the thing is on a one foot tee and the driver is my biggest head. So I give it a whack and played it out to right as I figured the grass would grab the hosel a little, and absolutely pured it...It bounces off the grand stands set up and onto the green. 2 putt par Thank You Very Much...Ha

Bethpage Black....The out of state way...Drive up and park at 5:30pm..First time have tried this. Park in spot 7...They have numbered spots for walk on play for next day. There are 6 walk on tee times. I'm in spot 7...Son of a gun...Lot fills up like 80 cars. As the night sets in I engaged with every vehicle in slots 1-6....One of the guys is in a pick up truck...2 seater and sleeping in it and playing the Red....Bingo, that is my opening to get on Black. My son is driving up from Philly area to meet me at 5am. As the starter dude comes out about then and as he approaches each car....You get a numbered tab for all who are standing there. So my son showed up at 5am and shortly thereafter the starter showed up. We got our two chits..We played with car next to us 2 kids who were interning in NYC with summer jobs. They and my son were players. I play well but don't move ball off tee past 240. But we play the tips...7600 yards. Hit driver on two par 3's. Couple times bombed driver as good as I could but didn't reach the fairway. Shot a 96. This was next to last day prior to the first US Open there...It rained like crazy the morning we played so the course was delayed in start. Every drive was a plugged ball. That 7600 was like 8000 plus. Did make one bird. The first par 5. I could write about 10 stories like these...Ha

I played old Greenwood which is a 132 slope from the Two tees which are basically the whites. I played it this summer about two weeks after the Barracuda. I played with two members. It was like having caddies and I shot a respectable 97. But it was really tough. If I’d played it with no local knowledge I would have shot at least a 105 and probably a 110 at the time. And it probably would have not been a fun experience.

Probably Spyglass Hill. I played it with some guys from here. Don’t remember what I shot, but pretty certain it contained 3 numbers. The greens were brutal.

Back