Tell Us About Your Last Chip In

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For some THPers they are common, for others they are not. This thread will serve as a place for when you chipped in.

This was probably more of a pitch, but 53 yards on the par 5 14th at my home course. That was also my last eagle.

Total accident, and a long time ago lol maybe 8 ft or so, in some rough but I caught the 58* thin, but hit the pole and dropped in

Happened yesterday in a Ryder Cup match at my home course over the weekend. Bladed my approach shot long into the second cut of fringe on #10. Ball was sitting above the green with a gradual slope down to the hole. It was about 45 feet away. Chipped a nice low runner, almost like a putt down the slope and into the hole for a cool birdie. Have really been concentrating on keeping my weight and hands forward to produce a low chip over the last couple of months and it’s produced quite a few hole outs since incorporating.

Mine was about two weeks ago from about 4 yards off the green on the tightly mown apron in front of the green. I used a putting stroke with my 4 wood a made it for eagle from 30 yards.

It was with my wife on the 3rd hole at our home course. Memorable because it was for par after taking a long route to that green.

Fairly easy par 4 that I slung one fairway over off the tee into serious tree trouble. No shot at the green, or even out to our fairway. Only shot was a low punch cut between the green and the 15th tee. Did that to perfection but settled directly behind the only little sapling in the area with again, no shot at the green. Chose to take a chance on the left edge of it, and got an unlucky bounce off and down the hill. Reeally short-sided now with a downhill lie to a green running away. Wife was being encouraging. 'You got this, babe'. I'm telling her if I can't hit the pin or something it's gonna roll to the front fringe, so don't get excited. Looked like a double to me. Hit a 60* that took one little hop, hit a couple inches up on the pin, and went straight down into the cup for par.

Two rounds ago, I chipped in for birdie twice. On the first one, I hit a terrible greenside bunker shot on a par 5 that came out of the sand, but stayed in the rough above the trap. The second one was also from the rough after I hit a gap wedge that flew a little longer than I thought it would and didn't hold the green.

Couple weeks go at Riverway #18. Short sided in the rough hit a little flop that flew most of the way there and just trickled over the edge for Eagle.

A few rounds ago, chipped in to save par from the rough just off the green. About 40 feet or so.

About a month ago— hit long over the green and the ball was sitting down. Managed to pop it up onto the down slope and watched it trickle in from about 25 feet for birdie.

playing with some randoms a few weeks ago. short par 3, wiped my approach and came up short. chunked then chip. next shot was a delicate chip that had to pop up softly, and take a hard left to right break. truth be told i missed it far out on the toe, but it came out soft and dead, took the break and hit the stick to rattle in for par.

Today from about 4 yards short of the green on a par 5. Misjudged the amount of head wind and came up a little short on my 3rd shot. Hit a chip and run with my 58 degree wedge off my back foot and judged the roll out and break perfectly to chip in for a birdie 4

Sunday at Pine Needles in Southern Hills NC. We played from the tips (7,100 yards) which I rarely try. Most of the par 4s were around 450 yards. Needless to say; I had lots of chipping opportunities. I chipped in on #16 with a 7-iron putting stroke from about 15 yards in front of the green for a birdie on a par 5.

The last chip in occurred on #18. I pushed the tee shot to the right because swinging hard helps the ball go farther...right??? Anyway, the ball was partially blocked behind a tree and I used a mid iron to get back into position. I was 39.5 yards from the pin and my playing partners were already on the green. I used a Bridgestone XW 60* wedge to clip the ball off a tight lie. Pre-swing thoughts included; keep the weight slightly forward, rotate, maintain a semi-passive right arm, and let the club's sole do the work. I hit a good shot and it tracked straight at the pin. The ball landed within a foot of the pin, bounced into the pin, the ball's spin carried it up the stick before falling straight into the cup. The guys on the green got a good view and I finished with another birdie to go with a par on #17.

Just so you know the rest of the story; I finished with a 96 despite being -2 on the last three holes. The par 5s crushed me. Scored an 8 on #1 and a 9 on #10. Whoops! Oh well, let's stay positive...the chip ins were awesome! Pine Needles hosted the Women's US Open a couple of months ago.

Man... this year they've been terribly scarce. Last year it seemed like I had one every handful of rounds. This season, maybe only 2 or 3 in total.

But the last was nice. A month or so ago, our par 5 #10. My 2nd shot hit the green but came to rest long but a very good lie, not far off the fringe, about 20-25' to the cup.

Chipped with 52° wedge back of stance, kept it low. Landed on the last foot of fringe and released toward the hole.

Eagle.

Made even better was that it was during club skins on a day when only 3 would pay out, including that one. Cha-ching!

I haven't had many this year, but the last one that I can remember was about a month ago on the 12th hole at my home course

Hit a bad tee shot that meant I was chipping out sideways from the trees back to the fairway, 3rd shot came up just short of the green
With the pin towards the back left of the green, I had an uphill chip that broke from right to left and the ball tracked right to the pin and dropped for an unlikely par

The group ahead were on the next tee and one of the guys (who plays off about 4) gave me a thumbs up as he saw it drop

6th hole at my home course is a long uphill par 3. The green slopes pretty severely back to front, so I usually err on the short side and often end up in the landing area in front of the green if I don’t hit a perfect tee shot. Last chip in was dunking it on a couple hops after leaving it short a couple months ago.

Last chip in came in a scramble a couple weeks a go. We missed the green on the easiest par4 on the course and short sided ourselves on top of it. I hit my 54 degree with a low spinning shot, got it rolling like a putt and put it in.

1998 ?

South Pointe on Friday with @M2Giles, I spent all day chipping like absolute trash. Found myself with a fluffy lie and decided to just flop it up rather than try to chip it down hill. Flopped it perfectly, caught a downslope, rolled in for bird. I should do that every time.

I left an approach shot just short of the green. I was about 30 feet from the pin. I chipped in with a 56 degree wedge. Shot required a short carry over a mound and then a slight downhill left to right roll hitting the pin and dropping in for a birdie.

In the past I’ve gotten them frequently, recently for some reason they have alluded me although I’ve come close a lot.

last one I remember was at the conservatory course for the odyssey experience, can’t remember the hole. Bombed a drive, left one just off to the right, landed it perfectly where I wanted to and it took the break into the hole.

The last one was a few days ago. PW approach spun back off the steep front portion of the green on a short par 3. Left a simple uphill straightish 20 footer from bermuda rough about 5 feet off green. Good enough lie and easy enough shot that I was trying to make it and managed to do so with a GW chip that carried a little over half way up.

Best one this season was after a horrible approach tugged way left and long into a par 4 fronted by a pond. Steep downhill side hill (ball below feet) lie in rough that would've required me to keep it under some over hanging branches and then clear a steep lip on a sand trap and somehow stop it on fast green breaking hard down and right toward pond. Pin was front right so I had that going for me but I in no way intended to play that risky shot onto the green. My intent was to punch a 4 iron into that trap and hopefully get lucky from there and set up a putt for bogey. The bermuda rough fooled me though and it came out hot enough to roll up the face of the trap and pop out on the green and trickle slowly down and in for birdie. If it was intentional at all it'd no doubt be an all time best for me. I just wish I hadn't vocalized my intentions to roll it into the sand before playing it.

Last edited:
Back-to back chip ins for birdie.....both were about 10 feet....4 man scramble...Minor Park GC (Cobra Wedges FTW!!)

Pretty straightforward - I just missed a par-3 right pin high, with the pin on the left. The 40' chip was fairly flat with about a 10" right-to-left break. I played a little low runner with a PW that found the hole for an unexpected birdie :)

Back