Temporary Handicap and Club Competitions

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
Well my official handicap is taking a bit longer than expected to be allocated

I have just been issued with a temporary club handicap of 18.

There is a club competition on Saturday which I am now eligable to play in, but I am not sure if I should due to being allocated a handicap much higher than I should

For the record my cards were 76, 77 and 78

Should I play in it or not?

If ever you had a damn good chance of winning a competition, this would be it, but personally I would be hesitant knowing that the temp handicap is so much higher than your (obvious) ability

You could be looking at a potential nett low 60's score which would be bound to get some people talking

Tell them you want to lower it by like 4 or 5. Who would argue that? Then you're still way overcapped but it looks like you tried when you win. 🙅‍♂️

Haha, thats assuming I pay well enough to win.

I am hesitant to play in it, I am going for a round tomorrow so may just speak with them to see if I can get my handicap sorted there and then

As much as I'd love to win it, I don't think I would feel right if I did knowing that the temporary handicap gavce me a massive advantage

I've just phoned the club, they are aware of my scores and said that my handicap should be ready for tomorrow anyway, but if it is not they are fine with me playing off 18

I did say I wasn't sure it was fair on the others but they said not to worry, they will deal with any issues should anyone moan

I wouldn't play in any event with a temporary handicap. It's not worth the hassle to be called a sandbagger whether the club sanctions it or not.
Good luck!

I am waiting until tomorrow to see if my official handicap is ready before I decide what to do

I may just play but pickup on the final hole as to not put a score in

The last thing I want to be called is a sandbagger

I've just phoned the club, they are aware of my scores and said that my handicap should be ready for tomorrow anyway, but if it is not they are fine with me playing off 18

I did say I wasn't sure it was fair on the others but they said not to worry, they will deal with any issues should anyone moan
Even if they get you sorted tomorrow, if you play well (or win, let's say) there still might be people who bark about a 5 score handicap. You've done the right thing talking to the club about your concerns, so in my opinion you're good to go. Just go have a great time and shoot your score. Your can't control the rest. Good luck!

I am waiting until tomorrow to see if my official handicap is ready before I decide what to do

I may just play but pickup on the final hole as to not put a score in

The last thing I want to be called is a sandbagger
I’d go full force forward. You did what you had to do and there is no guarantee that you will win! You tried to fix it, so now go win it. You might be on the other end of that in the future

Talk the the competition board and volunteer to take a lower cap. Use your best guess. Its in the spirit of the game and fair competition. Its not your fault the temporary cap got assigned the way it did.

How did they figure that temporary handicap? I don't see any good reason why a temp should be that far from accurate. I agree with those who said play it. Whether you try to get the handicap adjust a few strokes lower is up to you, but I'd play it either way. There's no way I'd pick up on the last hole either. If I'm playing, then I'm playing.

How did they figure that temporary handicap? I don't see any good reason why a temp should be that far from accurate. I agree with those who said play it. Whether you try to get the handicap adjust a few strokes lower is up to you, but I'd play it either way. There's no way I'd pick up on the last hole either. If I'm playing, then I'm playing.

I have no idea, I think thats what they have been giving to everyone due to the Covid restrictions, even Grant has been given 18 too and he is a mid 20's player at the moment

I will find out tomorrow if my official handicap has been calculated and then decide if I am playing or not

I personally would not. But I am probably an idiot.

As long as they have okayed it, then it is on the club and not you.
I would see what/how they rate it after the next round and go from there.

The thing is I don't think they have rated it from the cards I put in yet, hopefully that changes tomorrow and I get my proper cap.

When I spoke to them today they knew what scores I had put in so I am totally baffled as to why they issued a temporary cap of 18

Either way I have decided to play on Saturday, tee time is booked in for just after my lads lesson finishes

I am hopeful that by the time I get to the club on Saturday my handciap will reflect the cards I put in

The thing is I don't think they have rated it from the cards I put in yet, hopefully that changes tomorrow and I get my proper cap.

When I spoke to them today they knew what scores I had put in so I am totally baffled as to why they issued a temporary cap of 18

Either way I have decided to play on Saturday, tee time is booked in for just after my lads lesson finishes

I am hopeful that by the time I get to the club on Saturday my handciap will reflect the cards I put in

Good luck! Bring home the hardware!

I would suggest they calculate your handicap off of the 76 for this event. You are obviously not an 18 and probably closer to a 4 depending on the difficulty of the course.

I say good for you. You've done everything you can, made sure the club was aware of your scores and tried to make sure everything was on the level. You're being totally honest, obviously not trying to sandbag or get an unfair advantage, so it's on them from there - enjoy the competition!

Not sure about how your club works, but I have heard of clubs who will allow new members to play in competitions, but they aren't eligible for a prize in the first few until they have an official handicap sorted or they have used those competition scores to calculate it

Play and donate any winnings to the captain's charity. You have done nothing wrong, and the card will accelerate the handicap.

Well I spoke to them today before I went out for 9 holes

My handicap will be done for the morning, it just needs entering into the computer

It is now provisionally 8

Much happier with that, even if it does mean I wont win tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Back