dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sorry if there's already a Tequila thread out there. I checked but did not find one. I'm a bourbon drinker but have some friends that have recently started to drink tequila. My tequila experience ranges from El Toro to Jose Cuervo!

Last week while on vacation I stopped in a cigar bar, instead of having my usual bourbon I ask them to recommend a good tequila. They poured me a Herradura, I found it to be very smooth, I liked it. I think I will pick up a bottle!

Are there any tequila connoisseurs out there? What do you recommend?

I am in exact same boat as you. I was given a bottle of Don Julio 70 and it is the first time I ever understood the concept of sipping tequila, it was fantastic I was going to get another bottle of it but the store was out. i was recommended a bottle of Cabo Wabo Blanco so I got that. I didn’t think it was nearly as good as the Don Julio 70.

AAAKLLOOOOTT of bad experiences with tequila, but sipping tequilas are something im wanting to get into as well. My buddy picked up a nice mezcal that was smoky like a single malt scotch, really good and something I'll be looking for too

Don Julio 70 is a gem. Gotta be one of my favorites.

As for others - any Don julio is going to be good. Patron is also good, but it's got more hype than any other brand and charges for it. Not bad though. Cabo Wabo is decent for cheaper brands, but I prefer Espolon, which you can pick up their reposado or anejo for around or under $30.

Herradura gets a lot of talk about being good but I haven't been in love. Casamigos is George Clooney's brand and is expensive for Tequila, but it's supposed to be good. Can't bring myself to buy it though haha.

Couple others that if you can find are definitely worth it - Tres Generaciones Anejo and Siete Leguas Anejo

In general, if you are going to be sipping it, avoid blanco or silver tequilas. Those are just meant for shots. Get either Repasado or Anejo for a little age to them, and it makes it so much better. I used to absolutely hate tequila until I went down to Mexico a few years ago and got to learn what good tequila actually was. Now it's my favorite spirit haha

Subscribed to hear what is recommended. Patron is about as adventurous as I've ventured and that is probably my current favorite.

AAAKLLOOOOTT of bad experiences with tequila, but sipping tequilas are something im wanting to get into as well. My buddy picked up a nice mezcal that was smoky like a single malt scotch, really good and something I'll be looking for too
Mezcal is either a love or hate thing. I love it...can't find anyone else that really does around here haha.

I just finished a bottle of El Silencio, and it was probably the best I've been able to find. https://www.binnys.com/el-silencio-mezcal-espadin-968643.html

Was passing through the Mexico City airport on the way home from Cancun and they were having tequila tasting there in one of the duty free booths. 1921 Cream Tequila.First time my wife and I had ever had such a think. It was delicious and as soon as we got home I ordered a case of it.

I only have 1 bottle left as the rest were given to friends or opened and consumed.

Tastes a lot like Kahlua but a bit more coffee flavored.:p

I'm a Patron guy...Don't drink often but for tequila...Patron

I do love me some iced Patron....yummmm.

Mezcal is either a love or hate thing. I love it...can't find anyone else that really does around here haha.

I just finished a bottle of El Silencio, and it was probably the best I've been able to find. https://www.binnys.com/el-silencio-mezcal-espadin-968643.html

love me some mezcal. Bar around here opened up with a bigger selection about a year ago. problem is I always forget which ones I like by the time I'm back at the liquor store.
will have to look out for silencio

usually keep some tres generaciones anejo around - my preferred for margaritas and doable for sipping
cazadores and casamigos I think lying around as well.
If I'm in the mood and out somewhere, don julio 1942 is good.

Someone mention El Toro? I think I have some of those nifty little red hats around here somewhere...

1583271733583.png
I picked up a bottle of this in South Carolina, its so good. No one north of the Bible belt seems to sells it or able to get it. It seems to be dying out in Charleston where I got it.

1800 Respado is my go to!

Me & tequila are not friends at all & I try to stay away from it. Although we have a restaurant here in town that makes an incredible watermelon jalapeno margarita that I will partake of when the wife & I go have dinner there. Give me a good bourbon or whiskey instead.

I just picked this up, haven't tried it yet, going over to a buddies house tonight (he's also a bourbon drinker) we're gonna try it. 20200306_113320.jpg

Interesting info regarding tequila!

It is agave that gives tequila its unique flavour and its unique effect on the nervous system. The effect of tequila on our sobriety is the result of all those hours of sun energy stored in the agave. Tequila is a product of the earth and when produced correctly is a natural, health promoting beverage when taken in moderation (just like red wine). Tequila is a synthesis of the pre-Columbian Mesoamerican culture and Spanish culture. The Spaniards, upon arrival of what is now Mexico, found that the natives had an alcoholic beverage called pulque, about the strength of beer. These conquistadors brought with them the art and knowledge of distillation which they applied to this native drink. The result was called “Vino de Mezcal” (mezcal being the original name give to the agave), the first expression of what has now become tequila.

It has been mainly within the last 20 or so years that tequila has been developing into an internationally appreciated spirit. There are a number of requisites that must be satisfied before tequila can be certified. The agave variety used may only be the blue Weber tequiliana sort. The growing of the agaves and production of the tequila may only be done in a demarcated region, similar to the case of cognac. It must be distilled at least 2 times, and it must be produced under the strict supervision of the CRT – the Tequila Regulatory Council.

I'm sorry if there's already a Tequila thread out there. I checked but did not find one. I'm a bourbon drinker but have some friends that have recently started to drink tequila. My tequila experience ranges from El Toro to Jose Cuervo!

Last week while on vacation I stopped in a cigar bar, instead of having my usual bourbon I ask them to recommend a good tequila. They poured me a Herradura, I found it to be very smooth, I liked it. I think I will pick up a bottle!

Are there any tequila connoisseurs out there? What do you recommend?

Tequila is the devil!

Even when I drank alcohol, I couldn't get that shyt past my lips!

Back