Test Driver for 2020 Bridgestone TOUR B JGR DRIVER (Japan) with SP-COR

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I picked up a Bridgestone TourB JGR Driver from Japan yesterday to put in to play in 2020.
This is a newer version of the current JGR that has been released in the US.

1590002360065.png

It has what Bridgestone calls SP-COR

1590001824714.png

So there is a bolt with nylon behind the face to keep the face rigid enough to meet USGA Standards.
According to the article below each one is tuned like Taylormade does with their current drivers.

The SP-COR is also supposed to make the face more forgiving across the face:

1590002197804.png

A little review I picked up.

The "easiness of returning" of the face feels good! "TOUR B JGR driver" trial hit
Hayato Ogura
This is Og.
Today, I tried out the "TOUR B JGR Driver" of Bridgestone Sports, so I would like to report immediately.

Easy series for athletes
Bridgestone Golf's "JGR" model has been around since the "TOUR STAGE" era, which is the predecessor of the "TOUR B" brand, and is recognized by many golfers as "for athletes, but easy".
The driver of the current model that I tried this time is also released in the position according to that image and is supported by many golfers. When the first JGR first appeared, professionals preferred the athlete model, but nowadays there are some improvements in performance, but now professionals also prefer the easy model, and the current model drivers are professionals regardless of gender. Is also using.
The new technology called "suspension core" is what attracts attention with this JGR driver. One rod extends through the sole to the back of the face, and by supporting the back of the face directly, we have succeeded in expanding the high initial velocity area. By the way, it is said that each stick is manually adjusted so that it does not exceed the upper limit of the rule.
In addition, "Boost Power Technology" that optimizes the deflection of the head at impact by increasing the rigidity of the sole and conversely decreasing the rigidity of the crown to create high initial velocity and high trajectory, one face face milling By making it rough, it is a model packed with original technology such as "power milling" that suppresses ball slip at impact and reduces extra spin.

The design is also accented by the yellow protrusions (?) On the suspension core that shine in the depressions in the sole. It's mechanical, and it's pretty cool

The crown has a power slit that creates a bend, but I did not make a claim for painting, but dare to finish it. The contour of the head has a little angle on the toe side, but it is an almost round orthodox shape

Equipped with boost power technology that creates high initial velocity and high trajectory by increasing the rigidity of the sole and lowering the rigidity of the crown, and power milling that roughens the face milling to every 3 to reduce extra spin
Uses a shallow back shape with a lower head design.  Are you aiming for a moderate kindness?
Uses a shallow back shape with a lower head design. Are you aiming for a moderate kindness?

Genuine shaft "TOUR AD for JGR TG2-5". There is some bending, but it is a shaft with no habit that is easy to grasp the behavior
https://kakaku.com/item/K0001181362/?lid=kmag_pc_sports_14741_item_mid
https://kakaku.com/item/K0001181363/?lid=kmag_pc_sports_14741_item_mid
Even if you open and raise it, it will return with impact
When you set it up, the projected area is reasonably large and there is a sense of security, but it is the right size without feeling dull. The shape is beautiful and you can hold it comfortably. One of the features is the groove carved in the crown-the power slit is painted in the same color as the crown and is inconspicuous. I think it would have been possible to change the color to appeal, but I personally like the finish.
When I struck it, I could hit a high trajectory with a long flight time. The feeling of hitting is a mysterious sensation that is soft and has a repellant feel. It wasn't uncomfortable, and it felt good when I hit it with the core. Excellent tolerance for RBI mistakes. The distance loss was small and the bend was small even if I hit both the toe and the heel.
Personally, I like how face rotation is easy to do. Even if you open a large face with take back, it will be in time with impact. Although there are few bends in the ball itself, it is one of the beauty of this club that it is easy to hit the target and make a draw or fade trajectory.
It is easy to turn heads, so if you have a ball you should feel easy to hit
It is easy to turn heads, so if you have a ball you should feel easy to hit

Suspension core that succeeded in expanding the high initial speed area while keeping the upper limit of the rule. It also contributes to a unique feel

Wide selection of custom shafts
The TOUR B JGR driver is a club with a good balance of flight distance, tolerance for mistakes, straightness and operability. I feel that it is easier to handle, unlike the large models with high straightness that are the mainstream drivers today.

The gripping performance of the head itself is neutral, so depending on the shaft, it is recommended for a wide range of golfers, for models that can be operated reasonably by advanced users and do not disturb what you want to do, models for beginners and intermediates who reduce mistakes. I think it is a club that can.
The combination with a genuine shaft is recommended for beginner and intermediate level players because it is easy to take timing and has no habit. It's also good for catching, so it's great for those who want to reduce the mistakes on the right.

It is "ATTAS 11" that it is easy to suppress the mistake on the right with a custom shaft. The neutral finish gives you a crisp swinging feel with the "Speeder EVOLUTION VI", or the "TOUR-AD XC", which does not fear a mistake on the left and follows firmly even if you shake strongly.

There are relatively few clubs in the market that are easy to face rotate, so I think it is worth trying if you can not hit the big head well.
Photo: Tomoya Nomura
Hayato Ogura

Hayato Ogura
A golf writer who can sing and dance, who also works as a golf shop manager, craftsman, club fitter, and magazine editor / writer. My favorite club is putter, left-handed / right-handed. Nicknamed "Og".

Last edited:
Space for Why I went this route and how I obtained it.
It's a good story

Last edited:
Looks awesome and looks like it would be a big hit in the US Market from a technology and aesthetics perspective.

The rigid face has been quite popular since Jailbreak came out and I have enjoyed seeing companies use different implementation.

Interesting to read their description vs a US description... "tolerance for mistakes" vs "forgiveness" for example

Interesting to read their description vs a US description... "tolerance for mistakes" vs "forgiveness" for example
That’s the reason I included it. Please know that this is a Google Chrome English conversion. One of things that Chrome does is give you an option to convert foreign language to English. So some translation gaffs may have occurred.

With the discounts on the Tour B irons in Bridgestone's website, could there be a new version of the JGR line coming to the US? And I wonder if this is the driver that will be released later in the year

With the discounts on the Tour B irons in Bridgestone's website, could there be a new version of the JGR line coming to the US? And I wonder if this is the driver that will be released later in the year
I don’t think there’s any new clubs coming. The new president said as much.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this Mark!

That is pretty interesting. I find it pretty.

Using the prior model your B driver and it is the easiest driver to hit straight that I have ever used. Sold my EF after playing a few rounds with it.

Great looking driver Mark. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Nice looking driver! Fun that you included the Japanese review, I always get a kick out of reading translations like that. So is the COR adjustable by adding/reducing tension to the SP-COR bolt?

First round in the books and I'm l please with the results.
Has a little more "Tinner" sound to it which I like, not loud just "Tinner"
It does like to go left for sure, I had to aim to the right to keep it from going left
(TBH I'm dealing with a hook problem and have no ranges open to try to fix it)
Distance was close to my EF for 2020 - The ground is so wet so there is no roll.
If I catch it square, it goes.
I do have to say that I read some where where Japanese model have a soft tip and I can feel that with this shaft.
Even though it's a stiff, it's play like a US Regular (Whatever that is).

It set up for 45.5" and I normally play 45" so I do need to get that adjusted when things open back up. Hoping that will help with the "Whippyness"

Otherwise, it set's up nice behind the ball and is easy to swing.
Like the color, like a Deep Blue which you can see really well in the sun.
Onward and Upward we go.....

Nice looking driver! Fun that you included the Japanese review, I always get a kick out of reading translations like that. So is the COR adjustable by adding/reducing tension to the SP-COR bolt?
Yeah, the review was a stitch. When I read it, I thought some here might like it.
On the bolt. I don't know that officially however based on the article and some applied "Logic," I would guess yes to keep it USGA Compliant.

When are you getting this beast back outside Mark?

This thread is going too dominate for a while. The grass is greener syndrome is going to have people fascinated by this club.

I do like seeing ever companies slightly different take in localized stiffening of the face. Cool to see.

When are you getting this beast back outside Mark?
I'll be playing Sat, Mon, Tues and Wed.
Tomorrow is a really "Big" course - Links Style so I should be able to let'er rip.
The only thing I have to make sure I temper is the distance performance, it is so wet here (9" of rain in a week)
The ball is not going to get any roll.
I may try to do a Vfit tomorrow and see how the spin is.
I have 2dz of the Bstone XS Tiger Edition that I want to use up so I'll be putting them into play.

This thread is going too dominate for a while. The grass is greener syndrome is going to have people fascinated by this club.

I do like seeing ever companies slightly different take in localized stiffening of the face. Cool to see.
TBH this version might not even make to the US.
Bridgestone releases clubs every year in Japan and if Bridgestone in the US decides to skip a year with equipment, which make perfect since given the current environment, then the next version might come here.

This all started when I picked up the 2019 version of the Hybrid and fell in love with it.
I remembered @Jman reviews and said that the Hybrid was the best club out of the current US release.
Then I remember the Hybrid thread talking about how some Hybrids are Iron replacements and some are Fairway replacements.
@vgolfman added you should play the style that fits you (After all, he did invent the hybrid didn't he?)

So a happened day on eBay I did a search for Bridgestone Hybrid and this one shows up from Golf Partner USA.
Price was really reasonable with free FedEx Priority shipping from Japan (How much does that cost?)
it was used however it came look almost brand new.
I'm so much more consistent with this one versus the Big Bertha - Just don't like the sawed off toe, Iron replacement hybrid.
This one is very much like the TEE EX9 with more punch...
109227FB-4B6A-4E8A-98DA-E97659AE9F1F.jpeg
You can see here how much this looks like a Fairway Wood.

17ED2ECA-BB59-4B36-BB21-096EECD4DBFB.jpegFCBEE1E7-DBAE-4D99-A804-1EE08F5185D8.jpegE08ED6DE-7A2A-4FD8-A2DA-CA19CBB25E72.jpeg

Last edited:
Well it’s a fairway finder for sure:
8241DB5C-8A02-412E-88AF-812322872C3F.jpeg

Bumping this because I saw Matt Kuchar over the weekend have this driver in play during the QBE Shootout.
So maybe.......

I ended up selling mine a buddy.
True Story:
He used Ship Sticks to send his clubs to Florida for a vacation he was going to take and a Hurricane hit Florida.
He delayed his trip by 1 week and decided to play golf with our regular group on a Saturday, however he had no clubs.
So he calls me and asked me if I could gather us a bag of clubs for him to use (Apparently I have the reputation of being a Club Ho')

I managed to "Scrap UP" a bag together using this JGR Driver and a old Taylormade Slant 32 Spider putter.
Well needless to say, He just hit this Driver so well, the most beautiful baby draw you'd ever wanted, this after he's been struggling with the PXG driver he had.

At about the 10th hole, I said "I'm not going to get the driver back am I ?" He exclaimed - "Nope!"
I had been hitting my Epic Flash so well, this club would just be sitting in the basement, so I sold it to him and along with the putter.
I let him know that I got the Driver from Japan and that he would never see one like it in the US for quite sometime.

Over all I really liked the Driver, when I put it to play It's a High Handicappers dream with the weight in the heel and forgiving head.
I hit a lot of fairways with it: 49% and had more misses left than I did right (30% vs. 20%)

Hope this come to the states, I'm sure @Jman will have fun hitting it since he tested the other 2 original JGR Drivers.

Think the "Made For" Tour AD Shaft might be a better shaft (Offered in Japan) than what will be standard shaft in the US.

Last edited:
Nice writeup with a bunch a good info!
I did not see this back in May..
Thanks for sharing/bumping!

Look what showed up on. IG Video taped in Port St. Lucie today:
6174CA93-82E8-4264-B5FF-624063A69C12.jpeg

Back