TESTED! KBS PGI Shafts Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Last month KBS added to their shaft lineup with something they called Players Graphite Iron, or PGI for short. The idea behind this is to have the feel, consistency and control of steel, with the benefits of a composite shaft.

Today we are in the THP Tech Studio for another episode of TESTED! Where you see the swings and get a full breakdown of the data on this new set of KBS graphite shafts. The video below starts off with some technology talk, then hops into the hitting bay for some swings. Finally, we will walk you through the information that the Foresight GCQuad presented and give you some final thoughts.

For the sake of testing, we have paired the KBS PGI shafts with a Tour Edge Exotics C721 iron head and if you missed our full review of that iron set, you can find it here.

Continue reading...

Great stuff @Canadan . I've played both the KBS Tour V and Tour FLT. Enjoyed both shafts, with the FLT playing a bit better for me because of the added height I got out of them. Graphite, and some of these weights in the 90-100 range have me intrigued. I always played something in the 105-110 range, but my current shaft is the Elevate 95's, and they have been working really, really well for me thus far. Weight allows for a more deliberate tempo, but I can get after it too and still maintain a smooth swing and solid strike.

If I were to hit the PGI, I would expect much the same performance I'm seeing now, with a bit softer feel on impact, but nothing completely different. I'd be really interested to try them side by side with the Tour V in a blind case study, to see if I can tell the difference.

Thanks for the great review Dan. I wonder how these differ from their previous graphite iron shaft offering, which I believe were called TGI. Tried those 3 or 4 years ago and was not really a fan, especially in comparison to Recoil.

Hit their previous offering and didn't take long to know they weren't for me. Keeping an eye on these and another one. Will get to hit those this weekend as my BIL shipped his set to celebrate his recent victory or health concerns.

Have been a TourV guy for many years and looking forward to more information on these. Spin and high flight is my nemesis in wind. Enjoyed your quick descript and data.

very new to the idea of playing graphite as I've always played steel. Like the idea, however, the weight of the shafts is what throws me off as they seem to be really light but maybe looking at the 100 grams might be a possibility.

WOW ! I have been looking at switching the steel shafts in my C721's from the XP 85's and I like KBS having played the Tour V's and C Tapers a lot in the past. Also had an Exotics EXS 7 iron with a TGI 70 in it when i was trying out graphite at first. Saw the release of the PGi and was intrigued and now with the video, I really like the launch on these shafts paired with the C721 Irons. I find the 85's little light and prefer the 95-100 gm range. Watched this, or really, backed it up through the hitting segments a couple of times, and really want a set of the shafts in the 100's to continue with my irons. Awesome choice gentlemen, well done

Last edited:
Great review @Canadan. That is a nice looking iron shaft. I am currently waiting on some KBS Tour 90s. I am looking forward To getting them in and in play.

I’m intrigued by these. Have had limited experience with KBS shafts. The 100 gram shaft might make my c721s come to life. I’ve committed the next month to playing the c721s exclusively. Will see how it goes.

I have a KBS shafts in every part of my bag at one point or another. I have a TD wood shaft. Played the $ tapers last year. I have some wedges shafts and both the cutter and one step putter shaft.

I am curious about these as I am all graphite iron shafts. These just seem a little light to me.

I am curious about these as I am all graphite iron shafts. These just seem a little light to me.
I wouldn't shy away from 100 if going to graphite. But weight changes impact others a bit more than me

I wouldn't shy away from 100 if going to graphite. But weight changes impact others a bit more than me

Plus, for me, swing weight was important in the steel to graphite conversion. My i95 SteelFiber shafts do not feel light at all. The ZX5 irons are D2 swing weight with the SteelFibers. And they feel great!

I keep telling myself that, but I have not been able to convince myself yet.. I know it is old thinking and mostly defunct but it is one of those things that is hard simply because of cost and lack of ability to test.

Plus, for me, swing weight was important in the steel to graphite conversion. My i95 SteelFiber shafts do not feel light at all. The ZX5 irons are D2 swing weight with the SteelFibers. And they feel great!
Like @ I’m very happy with my i95s. May have located a set to install in c721s. If I can’t get them I’ll look into getting the PGI in 100

I keep telling myself that, but I have not been able to convince myself yet.. I know it is old thinking and mostly defunct but it is one of those things that is hard simply because of cost and lack of ability to test.

Totally agree. It gets harder to test out and that means harder to jump in.

I have a KBS shafts in every part of my bag at one point or another. I have a TD wood shaft. Played the $ tapers last year. I have some wedges shafts and both the cutter and one step putter shaft.

What's your current iron shaft?

Modus 120s x hard stepped
Okay, I thought it was something like that. It's tough at your speed. If you could make a 100g graphite work, my hat would be off to you. It's fun, but I can never get the flight and control I want. I'm curious to hit these (I like KBS) and see how they feel compared to others in the same class, but I'lll wait until I spot them on a rack, or later this year when they come out with the taper tips.

I think one of my big takeaways was the lack of load variance from soft/smooth swing to aggressive (for me) swing.

PGI seemed to handle it without any real issue, in stiff flex. I certainly came away impressed.

Great video @Canadan Ive play several KBS irons and love my KBS Tours but I’m an old man and ready for some ‘lightness’ seems like hundos would be a great option to consider 🤔

Very cool video. Like what I see and hear on these and really like the different weight offerings. I've always liked KBS Tour steel shafts, but have used recoils for the graphite shafts I have now. I am going to have to find somewhere I can swing something with these and see how I get along with them.

Wonder how these would compare to the Recoil 95s I have now. :unsure:

I would definitely be interested in seeing how they perform in the 90's stiff in the C721's. With the higher ball flight and the stronger lofts of the C721's the pairing could be deadly for me. The only thing is the 65 per shaft price tag for me.

Going to order a shaft to try. KBS advised me this sits in between the TGI and the Max.
Less spin than the Max but softer and higher launch than the TGI.

I really enjoyed @Canadan review, but I was curious about others experience with these shafts?

I really enjoyed @Canadan review, but I was curious about others experience with these shafts?
Same. From what I’ve seen from reviews these are a “higher launching “ shaft. If so they might be the ticket for me.

I’m currently playing Recoil 807 (82g). I’m a bit confused by the “stiffness “ and what is posted. KBS’s own literature confuses me. Cobra calls the 75 R and 85 S. Are they tipping them to get to that flex?

905B44B4-C44B-40EE-A3DC-BCC9A4B42D9B.jpeg

Back