TESTED! Srixon ZX4 Irons Review

So we at least agree that it was a ridiculous performance by the ZX4.

I'd say by me too, but I've seen me golf recently.

No doubt a combination.

But not sure you, or anyone, could jump out there with just any club and put out numbers like that on the best of days. ZX4 very impressive in that regard.

Not this time around, no. I won't make any assumptions on gapping but I'm also not afraid of it at all, especially for my game. I typically bend my irons a bit strong to accommodate my dynamic loft, which means I could probably just put the ZX4 in play without altering loft if there happened to be a gapping issue. That in mind, I also wasn't hitting any crazy numbers with the head, it was just consistent. On the button with my current player irons, I can get the 7 out there pretty good. What I can't do, is freely hit a 190 yard flag with them haha
I'd definitely take consistent with the performance that is offered with this lineup, especially in the long irons. Not only does that allow me to hit more greens, but be more precise off the tee, or lay up approach shots.

When I think of Hollow body design clubs, I always have to listen to them first. That audible 'click' has to be muted for me to hit them. But those are some nice sounding irons (I turned up the volume every time @Canadan hit one:eek:) And 195 yard carry for a 7-iron & all online in such a tight dispersion? Wow ... why aren't these in the bag yet? Definitely in the long irons at least. But I would look at the entire bag just for the forgiveness all around. (y)

Well done, Dan! The irons look like a real winner.

One thing that I don’t think I heard mentioned is that for a forgiving and thicker soled club. The zx4 looks great at address.
They really do. They're not for me, and I know that, and I still can't help myself when I see them. Lol I see it, have to grab it, and put it down to look at. For what it is, it's a good looking club. The whole ZX lineup are lookers.

Good info in the vid guys. I like the Neo stock offering. Real popular with a lot of people who might fit these clubs.

@Canadan We got a question via social media on this.

"I watched the video and the tester spoke about a level of consistency not always found in irons of this style or type. Then he said he would consider them in long irons, why not the full set if they are as consistent as it appears in scoring clubs?"

@Canadan We got a question via social media on this.

"I watched the video and the tester spoke about a level of consistency not always found in irons of this style or type. Then he said he would consider them in long irons, why not the full set if they are as consistent as it appears in scoring clubs?"
I don't have a good answer to this - probably should have hit the 9 iron as well to see what it was like.

Likely the only reason I said that is because I am so completely comfortable at the top of my bag of incorporating forgiving long irons and utilities, I was trying to relate to others who likely do the same.

Man I shouldn't have watched this video....I love playing my Hogans...and fully intend to play them for a calendar year before looking to move on...but I know I need a more forgiving club. I really need to go hit them! Then I saw the "in stock" plus two weeks to slide some Recoil 95s into them......

My wallet is getting nervous.

I like the looks of the ZX5 better and I am pretty good ball striker with my irons most days, but I also cannot see any reason why I wouldn't go 4, 5, maybe even 6 in the ZX4 if it truly looks as good at address as I am hearing. ZX series are #1 on my hype list right now.

I like the looks of the ZX5 better and I am pretty good ball striker with my irons most days, but I also cannot see any reason why I wouldn't go 4, 5, maybe even 6 in the ZX4 if it truly looks as good at address as I am hearing. ZX series are #1 on my hype list right now.
Screenshot_20210708-135521_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20210708-135617_YouTube.jpg

It definitely has a bigger look, but it's real sharp for what it is. There's a much bigger change in appearance between the ZX5 and ZX4 as there is between the ZX7 and ZX5 though.

Thanks for the comparison. When I inevitably get a fitting in the next month or two I will explore all combo set potential for the ZX.

@Canadan, great review. Maybe I'm just not getting it but what benefit does the relief (I think that is correct) on the heel and toe of the clubs offer? Also, from looking at the pics on the Srixon website, it looks like there is considerable offset in these irons. How did it look at address?

P. S. Club looks barely past parallel at the top! Enjoy that flexibility while you're young!

@Canadan, great review. Maybe I'm just not getting it but what benefit does the relief (I think that is correct) on the heel and toe of the clubs offer? Also, from looking at the pics on the Srixon website, it looks like there is considerable offset in these irons. How did it look at address?

P. S. Club looks barely past parallel at the top! Enjoy that flexibility while you're young!
I'm pretty numb to offset. It doesn't make me think twice unless it's on something different and visible like some of the fairway woods out there.

To the question of relief, I think it has more to do with the VT Sole performing on heavy strikes, not something that might be hitting the leading or trailing edge - so the focus is about centralizing that turf interaction, reducing how much drag is on the turf itself.

Great review, maybe it’s a good idea to compare with similar irons from other manufacturers.

Im going to shaft up the 7 iron with a Recoil 95 Proto and take it with me to the course next round.

What is your impression of the ZX4 scoring clubs?

Great video @canadan! The dispersion, carry, spin numbers presented are crazy good. I know this may be difficult to answer, but….Wondering what your impressions are looking down at top line of ZX4? My point of reference would be Apex DCB. Would ZX4 be similar size, top line?

Great video @canadan! The dispersion, carry, spin numbers presented are crazy good. I know this may be difficult to answer, but….Wondering what your impressions are looking down at top line of ZX4? My point of reference would be Apex DCB. Would ZX4 be similar size, top line?
@JB might be able to steal an overview look at the two heads as they are in the club lab.

I know a lot has been said already about the top line of the ZX4, but without direct comparison, I really didn't think much of it in the 7 iron. My regular head right now is either a Mizuno CB or a Callaway X Forged and I didn't think twice looking down at ZX4 - Thought even less about it as I watched the ball go straight down the pipe repeatedly haha

@JB might be able to steal an overview look at the two heads as they are in the club lab.

I know a lot has been said already about the top line of the ZX4, but without direct comparison, I really didn't think much of it in the 7 iron. My regular head right now is either a Mizuno CB or a Callaway X Forged and I didn't think twice looking down at ZX4 - Thought even less about it as I watched the ball go straight down the pipe repeatedly haha
I’m used to playing GI clubs and don’t mind top line, but like anything there is a tipping point. I love the ZX5 look and think a 4/5 setup in ZX would be similar to my current set…. Besides, these are shiny and who doesn’t like shiny? 😉

I’m used to playing GI clubs and don’t mind top line, but like anything there is a tipping point. I love the ZX5 look and think a 4/5 setup in ZX would be similar to my current set…. Besides, these are shiny and who doesn’t like shiny? 😉
I think this image is pretty helpful;

1625840392021.png

I had some time after a meeting today to visit an actual golf store (it's been a loooooooooong time).

I wanted to see the HMB MP20 from Mizuno, but they only had some 921s and a few woods and hybrids was shocking how little they actually had (right next to a sign saying they are a top 100 fitter of Mizuno stuff). ANYWAY - sorry, the Srixon stuff was right next door. I was able to pick up ogle and waggle the ZX4s they look really nice, And I better understand the sole design (and they had the 5s and 7s too, so more to look at). the ZX 4s they looked different somehow from the picture in this article - they don't look as 'deep' in the cavity, can you tell me what iron was used for the photo? Could be an illusion but it was sort of strange the photo versus the real club - the real club looks considerably meatier - heck maybe it due to the proximity to the 5s and 7s.

I'd love to see @Canadan play these for a round just to see how crazy the distances would be haha

Back