Review TESTED! The Callaway MD CB Wedges

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Last month the new Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges were introduced and if you missed that launch, we have all of the tech information here. Lots of questions have come asking how they perform and who they are best suited for.

Do they have consistency? How is the spin? What about the forgiveness? From the THP Tech Studio, we put the new Callaway MD CB wedges to the test. We show it all, from the swings to the data and breakdown everything.

After watching the video with THP Staff member Dan, are the Callaway MD CB wedges right for you? What did you think about the performance?

document.write("Loading Custom Ratings...");

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much enjoyed this but from a performance stand point as well as the application of the video and data.

The timing on this was pretty fantastic - I'm thinking of moving to more of a GI set based on my fitting (in the middle of a head-to-head right now). And I've played a CB/set wedge in the past and had good success. I don't manipulate the face all that much, playing my wedges pretty much straight on.

These are kind of intriguing if I go that direction. Did you hit any partial shots? If so, what were your thoughts there?

Interesting wedge that will help a lot of golfers. I recently did a shoot out between a blade style 50* Jaws and the 50* Apex Pro approach wedge that has some forgiveness built in. This is mainly a full swing club for me so I found that I was more consistent with the set wedge. I do use the 50* for bump and runs around the green but never manipulate the face open or closed. By the time I am ready to replace my set approach wedge it will not be available new so I will take a hard look at the MD CB line to replace that spot in the bag.

Can’t wait to watch! I’m really excited to try this club!

Can we talk about the floating door in the tech studio?

Was that a 60* wedge?

Well done @Canadan

Great info. This wedge is very interesting to me, especially as maybe a gap wedge replacement.

This may be something to try, didn't care for CB wedges in the past (RTX3)

Awesome job on the detailed review of the wedges including shape/tech and performance. Wrote these off for looks, but obviously they perform and offer something that those looking for can appreciate it.

It leads to a further space that will be expanded soon.

you seriously have a masters degree in leaving everyone on the edge of their seat - haha!

the deviations (or lack thereof) is what surprised me the most. I've never been much of a fan of the full face mill profile, but I understand that it plays a critical role in performance both across the face and when you open it up for creativity.

Very solid product here, and another great argument for forgiveness in wedges.

Well done, Canadian! The consistency of data has pondering very hard as I probably will replace at least 1 wedge for 2021.

That’s a great informational video! @Canadan does an outstanding job hitting the wedge, describing the hit/swing, then dissecting the data at the end! The Mack Daddy CB wedge sole is wide on the video. Wider than I thought it would be. One suggestion would be to go back to @Canadan at the end of the video to wrap it up. I don’t like when videos end on pictures, graphics, charts, etc. Just a suggestion.

What's the chance on getting a head to head wedge review...something I think most would be interested in

That’s a great informational video! @Canadan does an outstanding job hitting the wedge, describing the hit/swing, then dissecting the data at the end! The Mack Daddy CB wedge sole is wide on the video. Wider than I thought it would be. One suggestion would be to go back to @Canadan at the end of the video to wrap it up. I don’t like when videos end on pictures, graphics, charts, etc. Just a suggestion.
Something we pondered a lot.. I'm not sure that it would be particularly engaging to have me on video as I'm looking at the data the same as you are, while dissecting and trying to walk through it a bit.

I really do appreciate the feedback. We may be able to find a way to incorporate into the future.

What's the chance on getting a head to head wedge review...something I think most would be interested in
We have something like that coming soon

What kind of head to head review?
A head to head between Cleveland CBX2 and the Callaway CB. We could also have and Zipcore vs SM8 vs MD and maybe toss in a few others and maybe the Kirkland wedge just for kicks.

A head to head between Cleveland CBX2 and the Callaway CB. We could also have and Zipcore vs SM8 vs MD and maybe toss in a few others and maybe the Kirkland wedge just for kicks.

Ping Glide 3.0 would be a similar competitor too.

Really good and interesting video. I’ve never been too much for cb wedges, but did go with the AW and GW in std Mavrik this year along with 54/58 in MD5. These would be interesting to hit head to head, as well as how they might blend into iron sets.

Really good and interesting video. I’ve never been too much for cb wedges, but did go with the AW and GW in std Mavrik this year along with 54/58 in MD5. These would be interesting to hit head to head, as well as how they might blend into iron sets.
Be curious to see when you give them a try what you think of the differences between set wedges

Back