Thanksgiving Golf traditions?

syndicate559

Sweet Trajectory
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
Golf has become as much a part of my Thanksgiving traditions as turkey. I'm wondering if this is the case for anyone else and, if so, how you do Thanksgiving golf.

For me, a group that includes friends and family meets at McDonald's at 6:30 AM and goes over to my brother's club after a quick breakfast. The course is closed and open for members/guests to walk that day if they want to. This year, our group is so big that we'll be split into separate groups. My brother, nephew, dad, son and several friends will all be out there. It's a relaxed round where we're not really worried about scores. It's just an excuse to hang out, start drinking bourbon & coke at 7 AM and get some exercise before the onslaught of calories later in the day. For some reason, my wife still has an issue with this, but I'll be home hours before the actual Thanksgiving dinner. I think it helps a little that I'm taking my son out this year too.

So, anyone else have a fun Thanksgiving golf tradition?

Several years back we had the Wild Turkey Classic. It was a family/friend golf tournament that was held on Friday, the ladies go shopping and the men go golfing. It was a two man scramble and teams were put together when they arrived. It was so much fun, and I really hate that we quit doing it.

Snow here so only eating this Thanksgiving........

I don't know about any real traditions, but I think I've played on Thanksgiving each of the last 3 years! And I will be playing tomorrow as well! :D

For about 20 straight years I worked on Thanksgiving. My job was about a mile from the golf course and one of my water sampling points was on the creek by the 12th hole. Every Thanksgiving the course had a shotgun start at 0800 or so, and would close around 1330. I would go get my sample at 1400, and walk the creek to an island on the 16th hole. In hip waders I would wade over - I could generally pick up 100-150 balls in less than 30 minutes - about half were shag material, but a surprising number were like new and I could count on a dozen or so plum ProV1's the last few years. That job closed down two years ago, so that Thanksgiving tradition of mine is history now.

We have the key to the building, so if it's warm enough, Jacqui and I will have our own private course.

No set tradition, but for the last 3 years we have been in So Cal at my in laws for Thanksgiving and I have been playing at Angeles National as they have a shotgun tournament in the morning. If the weather is good I will be there tomorrow.

We have the key to the building, so if it's warm enough, Jacqui and I will have our own private course.

We wound up staying home. No golf today.

Some of these traditions sound really great!

One of my friends families has a tradition of playing 18 holes stroke every year. Their entire family plays from grandparents to cousins. They have a trophy and everything. Winner gets to display it and talk smack for the year. I want to start that in my family.

Played this year in the morning, which my wife agreed should happen just to keep me from snooping about in the kitchen while she's trying to cook.

We still have the keys, so . . .

Unless it gets really windy from the north, we'll be playing tomorrow. Might have a few walkers to contend with, but we'll be the only group with carts.

If we do end up playing, Jacqui will drive home at the turn and put the turkey in. By the time we're done and get home, we'll make the green bean casserole, caramelized onions, rolls, etc. and by then the turkey should be about ready to eat.

I always play a on Thanksgiving morning. Several of the courses have some type of small tourney. I haven't missed one yet and always home in time for lunch.

May start a new tradition today. Our club will be closed but a few of us may meet up for a round if the weather's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to play the day after thanksgiving whenever possible. But I wouldn't call that a "tradition", since it might be a different group every year.

No Thanksgiving golf, but for years a group of us would always play the day after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately a lot of those golfers have moved away or passed away.

Every year, for the last 5 (moved here then) the club has an 8am shotgun start, one 4some on each tee About 8-10 of us have gone out and played, usually done no later than noon. our group plays $5/man, one winner. Home for 2 hour nap then back to the club for the group and spouses 4pm sitting at the Thanksgiving Buffet. The golf winner then gives the pot to the our server as an extra gratuity. Fun, relaxing day of golf and dinner. Don't get much better...
Thankful I can do this.... As we all should be.....

Back