Thanksgiving Menu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are going to get a smoker for our turkey this year. Can anybody recommend a decent one?

I don't know if others would recommend or not, but a buddy of mine bought an electric one from Lowes for around $200. He loves it and swears by it.

For my menu I'm assuming it the standard fare.

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potatoes
Beets
Chocolate Pie
Pumpkin Pie

I'm kinda bummed I have no say in the menu or wont be doing a turkey this year. My sister really wanted to have it at her house this year so we decided to let her after having it the last 3 years.

Got a bit aggressive on the bird, 21 pounds for 6 people is perfect right? Haha

I think we are going to get a smoker for our turkey this year. Can anybody recommend a decent one?

If you want ease of use then go with a pellet smoker. Traeger makes a wide variety of them and I have one at my place. If you want a bit more work (charcoal smoker) then the Weber Smokey Mountain is a great grill. I have that one up at my girlfriend's and I prefer it over the Traeger. I have the 22.5" so I can smoke a lot of meat.

Both of these options won't break the bank and you get a quality smoker.

PM me if you want to talk more on this.

Just ordered a 12lb turkey and a 8lb bone in turkey breast from central market this year. Gonna try it with their brine this year. Always wanted to brine a turkey before frying so we'll see!

I always brine beforehand. I also inject.

Haha, I did that last year and then couldn't fit the turkey in my oven. :banghead:
Haha that is a problem for sure. I shouldn't have that issue. I think I got a good deal and an eye roll from the wife who said I should have gotten a 12 pound bird... Oops

Looks like this year were doing Pernil instead of Turkey. None of are fans of turkey so we try something different every year.

Haha that is a problem for sure. I shouldn't have that issue. I think I got a good deal and an eye roll from the wife who said I should have gotten a 12 pound bird... Oops
It was my first year with our new stove which is the range with double oven. Turns out the bottom oven is not large enough to hold a bird that big. Lesson learned haha.

Just ordered a 12lb turkey and a 8lb bone in turkey breast from central market this year. Gonna try it with their brine this year. Always wanted to brine a turkey before frying so we'll see!

I brine before smoking. I use a maple brown sugar recipe and it's fantastic after the smoker.

Our Official Menu:
Smoked Turkey
Carmalized Onion, bacon and Guyere dip
Green Bean Casserole (homemade with real green beans, nothing from a can)
Cornbread Stuffing with Apple, Sage, and Sausage
Mac & Cheese (made with several cheeses including Gouda and Cheddar)
Corn Casserole
Potato Gratin w/Truffle Oil
Rosemary/Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Sweet Potato Souffle (this is my first year making it, so we will see how that goes)
Cheddar Bay Biscuits (homemade)
Cheddar Cheese Rosemary Bread (homemade)
Cranberry Sauce
Gravy
4 different pies (my mom is responsible for the dessert)
Homemade Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and other fun Thanksgiving themed homemade chocolate
JB is making the Sangria

Hey, wait a minute. I'm in charge of the turkeys too.

There are numerous houses in this thread that I would like to visit on Thursday and/or Friday (for leftovers).

Looking over all the menus, so many things I have never tried before.

Strangely enough, green bean casserole.... never had it.

Looking over all the menus, so many things I have never tried before.

Strangely enough, green bean casserole.... never had it.
You are not missing much. I make one every year, with fresh green beans not from a can, and it tastes good but it's still always the last item eaten.

I feel like it's one of those dishes you have to have but no one ever really loves.

We are doing Turkey day today. Bird just came out of the smoker after a brine bourbon, peppercorns, maple syrup, brown sugar and salt.

Looks like this year were doing Pernil instead of Turkey. None of are fans of turkey so we try something different every year.

Me gusta pernil. I'm hoping to get some when I'm back,home next week. Great substitute for turkey

You are not missing much. I make one every year, with fresh green beans not from a can, and it tastes good but it's still always the last item eaten.

I feel like it's one of those dishes you have to have but no one ever really loves.

That is one dish that everyone always puts on the plate in our house. We don't make too much of it, compared to the potato dishes but if it weren't there someone would cry foul!

Whole foods Turkey dinner: Organic Turkey breast, almond green beans, mash potatoes, stuffing, pecan pie and some other stuff

Done, no cooking, no mess, more time to play golf!

I brine before smoking. I use a maple brown sugar recipe and it's fantastic after the smoker.

My brine is (per 1 gallon of water):

1 cup kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 TBSP maple syrup
2 TBSP Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.

Add salt and sugar over medium low heat. Once dissolved add the seasoning and bring to slow boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Obviously, wait until it is cold before using.

I'm using the central market already brined turkey this year. Next year I'll probably go to using my own. We'll see how theirs is first.

I always brine beforehand. I also inject.

I inject a bird with caution I found out the hard way that it's easy to over inject a turkey and ended up with some mushy meat in spots.

I inject a bird with caution I found out the hard way that it's easy to over inject a turkey and ended up with some mushy meat in spots.

I've done quite a few turkeys and chickens and all were injected. Haven't had an issue with mushy meat. My injection is just water, butter and Tony Chachere's seasoning.

I've done quite a few turkeys and chickens and all were injected. Haven't had an issue with mushy meat. My injection is just water, butter and Tony Chachere's seasoning.

I have injected the last five years with no issues.

Man just got my 24lb turkey tonight. Hope that sucker thaws out by Wednesday.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man just got my 24lb turkey tonight. Hope that sucker thaws out by Wednesday.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bucket of cold water will do the trick. Better yet, get a 5 gallon bucket for your brine and set the bird in there. Clean it first but then just place the bird in the bucket and leave it. It will thaw, get some brine and flavor.

Whole foods Turkey dinner: Organic Turkey breast, almond green beans, mash potatoes, stuffing, pecan pie and some other stuff

Done, no cooking, no mess, more time to play golf!
Now that is a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back