Thanksgiving Menu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to thaw mine early two years ago. leave it in the fridge. then wed night or real early thur morning put in cold water to finish the thaw. I believe it needs 1 hour for every 4 lbs to thaw out in cold water

I've been informed I'm making my chicken and dumplings that are from scratch....and I'm ok with that.

What time should I get there?

We are traveling to the wife's grandparents this year since they don't travel well any longer. Typical menu there:

Roasted Turkey
Smashed taters and gravy
Corn (probably dried corn)
Green Beans
Dried Lima Beans (my request)
Cranberry sauce

Desserts will likely be pies:
Fruit of some kind
Sugar
Vinegar Tart (yes, they make pie out of vinegar)

My mother just sent me a text (which is amazing in and of itself because she doesn't know how to do that normally) and it said:

"Pick from cream pies: lemon meringue, key lime, chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch"

So I said peanut butter chocolate and she said:

"Besides that....make a choice"

So I said, aren't you already bringing a peanut butter cream pie, a sugar free apple pie, some other fruit pie and a pumpkin pie? She said:

"Yes, now make a choice between the ones I listed earlier"

Ummmmm, we only have 6 people for dinner, how many pies does she think we need?

I guess we know where I get my over feeding a crowd gene from. LOL, I love my mother!

Side note, it looks like either lemon meringue or key lime will be making it's way to our table. I told her to pick between those two hahaha.

Side note, it looks like either lemon meringue or key lime will be making it's way to our table. I told her to pick between those two hahaha.

I'm betting she brings both. :D

I'll be working with my dad to fry up at least 6 turkeys and bbq a ham for thanksgiving. We usually do some of the birds with a Cajun injection that turns out awesome.

Ours is a pretty basic menu. We'll have two types of turkey, one roasted and one deep fried. Mashed potatoes and gravy, cheesy potato casserole, traditional stuffing, dinner rolls, corn, and then a mixed fruit plate.

And for dessert, there is always an assortment of pies (pumpkin, graham cracker cream, etc.)

My mother just sent me a text (which is amazing in and of itself because she doesn't know how to do that normally) and it said:

"Pick from cream pies: lemon meringue, key lime, chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch"

So I said, aren't you already bringing a peanut butter cream pie, a sugar free apple pie, some other fruit pie and a pumpkin pie? She said:

I guess we know where I get my over feeding a crowd gene from. LOL, I love my mother!

It astounds me when I get a text from my mom too. If you end up with both of those pies, I love both and you have my address. :clap:

Looks like I'm going to be brining the turkey myself this year. Can you guys that do this already share your brines??

Looks like I'm going to be brining the turkey myself this year. Can you guys that do this already share your brines??

As soon as I get home I will post mine. Was fantastic last year.

Here is the one I use Nate. It was fantastic last year.

6 bay leaves
6 sprigs of thyme
8 sage leaves
1 medium white onion chopped
3 cups good quality maple syrup
1 cup of brown sugar
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup of salt

This is for a 6 lb turkey breast, so multiply out if necessary. Fill a large container with water covering the turkey and mix these ingredients. Stir until well mixed and then cover for 24 hours.

If you need any more help, happy to assist.

Thanks JB. I'm adding this to my list for sure.

I have brined a lot, but this was the best I have ever used. The turkey came out so juicy with a great smoke flavor and a sweet taste. I am doing the same one again on Thursday.

6 bay leaves
6 sprigs of thyme
8 sage leaves
1 cup of brown sugar
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup of salt

This is for a 6 lb turkey breast, so multiply out if necessary. Fill a large container with water covering the turkey and mix these ingredients. Stir until well mixed and then cover for 24 hours.

I'm adding this to the list. I've usually gone with the brine package from Central Market, but this one seems easier.

Let me know how it turns out.

6 bay leaves
6 sprigs of thyme
8 sage leaves
1 cup of brown sugar
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup of salt

This sounds fantastic. Amanda and I may just have to try this.

If anything like my Mom, two people per pie...minimum!

Forgot to add a Cowboys win to the menu. Go Boys!

#trollalert

e9a5ac78a556e24650f4bdf918ca1783.jpg

I have dinner every other year at my parents house - standard items:
-Turkey with a brine similar to JBs
-Turnips
-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
-Green beans
-Traditional stuffing
-Mini rolls
-Pumpkin Pie
-Gravy

Non-traditional:
-Vidalia onions and peas white sauce
-Sausage stuffing
-Sweet potatoes with caramelized onions
-Ice Box Cake

My brother and my wife's brothers and their wives along with some nephews and nieces with their spouses will be joining us again this year. I think they like our non-traditional Thanksgiving menu. While I get a ham, I am a good ole Virginia boy, my wife gets a ton of crab meat and makes Smith Island Crab Cakes. I must admit they are darn good. The typical side dishes includes scalloped potatoes, something green (which I ignore), and corn on the cob. There will be the usual assortment of pies along with a Smith Island cake. (The wife has a thing for Smith Island cuisine.) Other than the ham, my contribution is the beer and the Tennessee sipping whiskey.

I special day for me, my son made it to Phx this year. We will be preparing grandma's cornbread stuffing together along with Turkey.

This will be the second year of the non-traditional Steak and Seafood Thanksgiving...This year are some nice filet mignons cooked Gordon Ramsey style and steamed shrimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

We are making sushi :)

I started pre cooking some items so that I'm not on my feet all morning.

Sweet potato soufflé and candied yams
13e202333561c8786dbd6715678486ae.jpg

39bd0e5e3666bbbde596c44469bfd5a4.jpg

We do Thanksgiving dinner at my sister in-laws house with all of my wife's family. Each family brings a dish or two. I'll be doing BBQ Honey Glazed Carrots and Beer Braised Beef. First time doing a braise but sounds very easy from the recipes I've read. I'll post some pics in the contest thread later. Dinner is at 5:30 tonight. Now if I could only sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back