Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipes

GolferDad66

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So with COVID and new group restrictions, we are celebrating Thanksgiving only with the immediate family of 5 (usually I’m at my sisters in a group of 30). My daughter came up with the idea that each of us needs to prepare at least 1 dish. I was given Stuffing To make. I’m not a cook. Anyone have any good stuffing recipes for me? Only thing I know is I want to include spicy Italian sausage in there. Please help!!!! Thanks.

are you making a full size turkey still and are you stuffing the bird? i only like stuffing inside the bird.

this is not an exact recipe but it's the one i have used before. stuffing is a feel dish, like our short game....lol

get a loaf of bread, i like white bread, leave it out the night before to dry out some. crumble/break it up, leave the crust on. nice size chunks. get a large onion or 2 depends on how much you like onions, bunch of celery...chop them suckers up but not too small. add 2 eggs. a couple spoonful's of poultry season (careful it can be strong), salt and pepper to taste. mix is up and good to go.

what we do is put some in a small Pyrex dish and nuke it for a minute to see what the flavor is like. it's always easier to add something...very tough to take it out. you want it to be kind of wet but not too wet. never tried sausage in it before, curious to see what that will be like. if not a full size bird then go half a loaf of bread. either way it will look like a lot of stuffing but it will all fit inside. if it doesn't all fit then just bake the rest in a dish. this will be crunchier stuffing

edit: sorry add a few tee spoons of melted butter...again err on the side of light, you can always add more.

Last edited:
We like to make this a little wetter than the recipe calls for, but it's always such a hit we have to make a triple recipe so everyone has leftovers. It's simple to make.

1605721425776.png

1605722569909.png

This is the best.....don't @ me.

We do not do stuffing, only dressing but even people who don't like it generally love ours.

We make a skillet of homemade cornbread and about a dozen homemade biscuits (I cheat here and use the Pillsbury biscuits from the freezer section not the canned kind). Then we crumble that up in a large covered bowl and sprinkle a large amount of sage on it. Then leave it setting for a couple of days to get a little stale.

On Thanksgiving day we chop up an onion and about 5 stalks of celery and Sautee them in a stick of butter until nice and soft then dump all of that into the bread mix from earlier. When the turkey is done take about a 1/2 cup of the drippings and dump them in there as well. Add a whole egg and you're ready to mix.

Start to mix the dressing and season it with salt, black pepper, and more sage to taste. You almost cannot put enough sage in it. We generally use almost a whole normal size square can. If it is not moist enough add some more melted butter or another egg. It should be about the consistency of wet concrete before baking.

Add it to a casserole dish and sprinkle black pepper on the top and then bake it at 425 for about 1/2 hour or so.

We do a rice stuffing instead of bread. It's soooooo good. I'll have to dig up the recipe, it's a stock bread recipe just substituting rice.

We're trying a Butternut Squash, cranberry and andoulle sausage stuffing this year

We do a rice stuffing instead of bread. It's soooooo good. I'll have to dig up the recipe, it's a stock bread recipe just substituting rice.

We're trying a Butternut Squash, cranberry and andoulle sausage stuffing this year
gotta post of pic of that when you do it

The old family recipe was to make both in the bird and at least one big pan of oven stuffing.
If I remember it correctly it was;
2 loaves of white bread
4 onions
Whole bunch (bag)of celery
1 big tube of jimmy dean sage sausage maybe a lb.
2 sticks of butter
Bell seasoning
Salt and pepper
The neck meat and other stuff that came in the bird was boiled.

All of it was grind coarsely with a old hand crank grinder the night before and left to meld in the fridge.
It always came out fantastic and being a oven pan stuffing person that was my favorite with a healthy spoonful or two of gravey. I never could eat the mushy in the bird stuffing. It had more flavor I guess but the consistency was just off to me.

Last edited:
I’m the designated dressing maker in the family. Venison sausage, French bread, tons of butter, celery etc... several years ago we ran out of oven space, baking on the Weber Kettle added another level of delicious. FWIW, no deer hunt this year, no thanksgiving get together, I’m going to try to play golf if I can find an open course.

I have my family recipe that I make every year for my Friends-giving, since I'm 1960 miles from home. I does not use bread. Instead it uses soda crackers. It's the bomb. My personal addition to it is Hatch green chiles and smoked turkey leg instead of the giblets.

Also, my grandma would scold me if I didn't add....it's called "dressing" if you do not actually stuff it in the bird.

Here is my stuffing recipe that serves 8-10, it's really easy to make, and if you don't want to do the 2 kinds of bread cubes you can use all of one kind, and feel free to buy store-bought cubes, but I don't love the texture of them as much:

Ingredients

4 cups cornbread cubes (I make my own using jiffy)
4 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes (you can buy store bought, or I get the cubes from the deli counter, they make them from stale bread and I think it makes for a better texture)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 large diced yellow onions (or 2 small)
1 cup diced celery (about 3-4 stalks)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2" cubes
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1lb bulk sausage (I use sweet, but you could use the spicy you mentioned)
2 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 lage egg, beaten
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 cup fresh shopped parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with butter (I just use cooking spray).
  2. Place the stuffing cubes in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter. Add the onions, apples, and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add the vegetables to the stuffing cubes. (Don't wash the pan but scrape out every last bit of vegetables, otherwise they will burn in the next step.)
  4. In the same pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a spatula while cooking (the largest pieces should be no greater than 1/4-inch). Add the browned sausage and fat to the bread cubes and vegetables.
  5. Add the chicken broth, egg, rosemary, sage, parsley, salt and pepper to the bread cube mixture and mix until the bread is soft and moistened. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and bake for 65-75 minutes, uncovered, until deeply golden and crisp on top.

Here is my stuffing recipe that serves 8-10, it's really easy to make, and if you don't want to do the 2 kinds of bread cubes you can use all of one kind, and feel free to buy store-bought cubes, but I don't love the texture of them as much:

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2" cubes
apples.....very interesting, I have never tried stuffing with apples in it. I might have to try this...sounds real good. does it give it a tiny hint of sweetness?

apples.....very interesting, I have never tried stuffing with apples in it. I might have to try this...sounds real good.

It adds just a hint of sweetness that I really like. The stuffing is my most requested side dish. I normally make two of them so guests can take some home.

I admire you for your adventurousness!

gotta post of pic of that when you do it

Yes, please!

The old family recipe was to make both in the bird and at least one big pan of oven stuffing.
If I remember it correctly it was;
2 loaves of white bread
4 onions
Whole bunch (bag)of celery
1 big tube of jimmy dean sage sausage maybe a lb.
2 sticks of butter
Bell seasoning
Salt and pepper
The neck meat and other stuff that came in the bird was boiled.

All of it was grind coarsely with a old hand crank grinder the night before and left to meld in the fridge.
It always came out fantastic and being a oven pan stuffing person that was my favorite with a healthy spoonful or two of gravey. I never could eat the mushy in the bird stuffing. It had more flavor I guess but the consistency was just off to me.

Wow! With that recipe you must have been feeding a horde! Ours was a bit smaller. And our Mom made "in the bird" stuffing that was not mushy! In fact, you needed more gravy! You can't make it too wet, and you can't pack it in there too tightly! That's how you wind up with "mushy" stuffing!

@GolferGal - gonna give that recipe a try. Sounds awesome.

my wife's family makes dressing. i contend that anyone who prefers dressing just hasn't had good stuffing.

our family fights over the stuffing. it's been my responsibility the last 5 or so years as my grandparents started to decline and at the same time i was enjoying cooking. if you want i can find the official recipe and post it. for now i'll go off memory.

cook a package of jimmy dean sausage, reserving some of the grease.
dice a white onion, and equal parts celery.
tear a loaf of white bread into bite-sized chunks.
combine all ingredients, and add two unbeaten raw eggs.
add about 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning, and generously season with salt and pepper.
combine everything with your hands. occasionally add some sausage grease to moisten the mixture, and about a cup of whole milk for the same purpose. it's by no means a wet mix, but it should be moist.
stuff every hole of the bird that you can. we usually tent the exposed parts with some foil once they start to brown during the cook.

Back