Thanksgiving travel plans 2020

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
AAA is forecasting car travel to be down about 10% over last year and air travel to be down about 50%. Automobile travel for Thanksgiving makes up over 90% of the total so overall travel is not down as much as I expected this year - about 50 million vs almost 60 million last year. Our family traveled by plane to Florida to spend the holiday with just our household of five.

Many colleges including the ones for our two oldest attend started the fall semester earlier than normal and finish classes for the semester today or tomorrow. Those schools will shut down campus until spring semester begins in 6+ weeks so lots of college kids will be flying and driving home this week for a much longer break than normal. It will be interesting to see the TSA travel numbers over the next week as over 1 million have gone through their checkpoints each of the last two days.

I don’t normally travel for Thanksgiving and I’m especially glad for that this year.

Were it not for NY’s travel restrictions, I would have been traveling to Tampa this week.

A two hour round trip this Wednesday to pick up our daughter from college is the extent of our Thanksgiving travel this year.

Staying home for Thanksgiving, but then we usually would anyway. :confused2:

Taking our trip up to see family in New Braunfels like we do every year. Nothing changes for us.

We aren't traveling very far as our Daughter's home is only a few blocks away. Easily with in walking distance if the weather is permitting on Turkey Day.

Vegas being a tourist destination, over all travel into the valley is down 58% per the local news last night. Being a tourist destination is also keeping our state's covid numbers quite high.

Plus our governor has issued new covid protocols limiting get togethers. 10, or less per house hold, or only two families. We had already planned on 17-20 family members at our shin dig.

Walk in restrauants can no longer allow walk in customers. Reservations are now needed. Most businesses are limited to just 25% of normal, fire dept capacities. All this for the next three weeks, then a review of those rules.

Going to be a limited Turkey Day travel/celebration in our area.

Myself and Aunt/Uncle/cousin who live in the same household will be headed to my parents for Thanksgiving. We’re all in PA about 70 minutes apart. I will miss seeing everyone. Christmas gathering has already been cancelled and I’ve been put in charge of Secret Santa.

We are making the hour and a half drive to visit my parents.

Was supposed to go to WI to see my dad, but that is out now.

Our son was stuck at home for the first semester of his sophomore year... poor kid, he got 7-8 months of college life before things went virtual last March. So haven't been making the 2 hour trip to see him, let alone pick him up/take him back for a while...
Normally we get together with my parents and sister & her family for holidays, alternating our house & her house each year. Parents will be 70 next year and my wife and my sister are both in healthcare so we decided to not have the big family dinner. We are going to meet at my sister's house on Thursday and trade some pies/sides that each make every year. Kinda sad knowing we've always been together and won't be this year but it seems like the smart decision.

We punted on driving to Colorado. Right decision for many reasons.

We are still seeing significant tourist travel here. University ends the semester this week. As a net for in-out, town should feel on the quieter side.

My family usually congregates at my brother's house about 20-25 minutes away for most of us but with mom and his mother in law over 70 and his wife's sister being a teacher we cancelled that and then for some reason they made plans for our immediate family to go to Ruth's Chris. I just got a text from my brother yesterday that he had lunch with someone who tested positive, I had a couple drinks with him Friday, so he's getting tested today and we may not have a Thanksgiving this year. Even if they decide to go ahead with it I may bail out, seems like a bad idea to have it at a restaurant this year.

My family of 3 is driving an hour or so to spend the week with my parents like we always do. So no changes here.

Father is coming down to Charleston for the holidays and we’re going over to my Aunt and Uncle’s in Savannah. Going to spend Black Friday on the course then

The wife and I usually take a golf trip during Thanksgiving or we may go spend the holiday with relatives.
But...not this year. Due to the Covid pandemic, we are going to do the smart thing and stay home by ourselves and stay safe.
We don't want to be part of the explosion of Covid infections that will happen within 2-3 weeks of Thanksgiving.

Going to be the smallest Thanksgiving ever for our family. My oldest daughter lives in California and doesn't want to travel back east. My youngest two just came back from college and are waiting results from their COVID test. My parents are 90 and not in great health so they won't be joining us. So will just be the 4 of us. Kind of sad in a way but also looking forward to just relaxing with my wife and kids and no outside distractions or tension that in-laws/cousins can bring.

Our family is not having a get together this year. I was supposed to travel for work this week, something I was dreading. We canceled today, a coworker tested positive. I suspect half or more of the company will test positive in the coming weeks.

10 minute drive to my brother and SIL's house. Fried turkey - can't wait.

Back