ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Can't have a Christmas thread going without a Thanksgiving thread.

This one is "my" holiday. I love it, because it's all about the food. I can cook without other distractions (well, except for my mother-in-law).

The cooking started today. I make my own bread for the stuffing. Got a great recipe with all kinds of spices IN the bread, along with sautéed onions and corn meal. Most of the bread goes into the stuffing, but some gets left over for making turkey sandwiches.

I don't fret about fresh, organic turkey. I prefer a kosher turkey, and I've already got the 20 pounder defrosting in the downstairs refrigerator. Kosher turkeys are a lot less processed than your standard Butterball, so they taste a lot better.

Then the real prep gets underway Wednesday. I am the cook-in-advance queen.

I knew you were the real deal, Claire. Growing up in a Jewish family with orthodox grandparents, Kosher turkeys were our only option. And I agree, they are the best.

Thanksgiving is also my favorite; both for the food and also the fact that it is the only holiday I can relate to. Religious holidays have all been commercialized and Hallmark holidays make me gag. A holiday to be thankful for life itself ... that's worth tipping my glass to!

Save a couple spots for us Claire!

Save a couple spots for us Claire!

Love to have you! You can run interference with the inlaws!

And Grogger, you know I'm R.C. The first kosher turkey I bought was a bit of a surprise--seriously less processed than I was used to. I had to cut the neck out myself.

Last edited:
What do you do with the left overs? My wife is thinking of things to do. Right now her plan for the next day is to make turkey pot pies.

What do you do with the left overs? My wife is thinking of things to do. Right now her plan for the next day is to make turkey pot pies.

I'm looking for the standard Land-o-Lakes leftover turkey recipe, but can't seem to find it on line. It's required for the day after. Basically, a casserole of chopped leftover turkey, green beans, cream of mushroom soup, milk, and shredded cheese. Top with mashed potatoes and French fried onion rings. Cook at 350 (or microwave) until hot and gooey.

Just Googles "leftover turkey recipes," and you'll find a zillion ideas.

I do all the Thanksgiving cooking but my cherry/cranberry/sausage/sage stuffing and cherry/cranberry pie are my specialites.

We'll bring the Cranberry Sauce!

I want Tin Cup's stuffing!

Hubby is in charge of dessert around here. He's doing pumpkin pie but also making toasted pecan maple ice cream to go with.

Any extra seats? Looks like a non-Thanksgiving for Julie again this year. :starving:

We bought our green bean casserole ingredients; pearl onions, sugar and chicken broth for our carmelized onions; brussels sprouts (my wife and brother-in-law are the only ones who eat them!); dinner rolls and potatos today. We already have everything else. We have several bottles of wine for the adults and the Welch's grape juice in wine-looking bottles for the kids also! Is it Thursday yet?
turkey.gif
080509-105513-570007.jpg

I highly prefer 4th of July! Golf, beer, brats, and soem good tunes...most excellent day!

we have Thanksgiving on the second monday of october. not sure if i would like it so close to christmas like you americans.

A Monday Thanksgiving would sure be better for work than the Thursday date. (Do I take Friday off, or not?)

For the record, yes I do.

Any extra seats? Looks like a non-Thanksgiving for Julie again this year. :starving:

Slap that man of yours upside the head! And of course you're welcome here.

A Monday Thanksgiving would sure be better for work than the Thursday date. (Do I take Friday off, or not?)

The stock market is open until 1:00 pm on Friday, so we are too. Bummer.

I do have some cool news though - an old, dear friend of mine, my best friend's sister, Elizabeth - has been a Radio City Rockette for a few years and will dance with the Rockettes in the Macy's parade this year. I'm so looking forward to that! I don't know if anyone watches them but we have each year since we were little girls, we used to pretend we were them. So there you go!

She'll be on around 8:30 my time, her mom says. She's tall (even for a Rockette) so she's usually right near the middle. She's half middle-eastern so she has very striking dark features even though she's white. I don't know what outfit they'll wear but these are the pics I have, if anyone will be watching!

zbethrockette.jpg

We're doing a Turducken this year. We've not done one before, so this will be a new experience. Along with it, will come the regular trimmings: Mom's stuffing, broccoli casserole, corn casserole, potatoes (either mashed, or au-gratin)

This is all hinging on whether I manage to bag one the day before, in that case, we'll be eating fresh, and save the turducken for Christmas.

I do have some cool news though - an old, dear friend of mine, my best friend's sister, Elizabeth - has been a Radio City Rockette for a few years and will dance with the Rockettes in the Macy's parade this year. I'm so looking forward to that! I don't know if anyone watches them but we have each year since we were little girls, we used to pretend we were them. So there you go!

She'll be on around 8:30 my time, her mom says. She's tall (even for a Rockette) so she's usually right near the middle. She's half middle-eastern so she has very striking dark features even though she's white. I don't know what outfit they'll wear but these are the pics I have, if anyone will be watching!

zbethrockette.jpg

Havent we learned that putting pictures of women up on this board sends Harry into a frenzy? :blob:

My company makes that decision for us. We're closed. :alien2:

I got this from PetPlace.com. Don't let it be said that only Harry does P.S.A's!

Thanksgiving is only a few days away. Maybe you have a dog or maybe you are expecting relatives to bring their dogs. Either way – here are common problems or emergencies that occur to dogs and associated with Thanksgiving. Knowing these, we will give you some tips to make your home safe for any pets in your home and these same tips may also make your guests more comfortable.

How can you make your home safe and "dog proof" to the common Thanksgiving dangers? Let's talk about them right now.

These tips are based on emergencies and problems veterinarians see on our around Thanksgiving. Please take special care with the following:

• Prevent access to counter tops – some dogs and especially cats will jump up on to counters (cats) or pull thing off counters. This is so tempting to pets with the succulent smells of turkey and food. The hot stove and hot items on counters can cause severe burns. Hot burners can also cause tail and hair to catch on fire.
  • Safely dispose of the turkey string and foil– the string that wraps or ties turkey's legs is often haphazardly placed aside and found and eaten by dogs and cats. The same danger exists with the plastic turkey wrapper. Ingestion of these indigestible items can require life-saving surgery. Place string, aluminum foil, and turkey wrappers in a secure covered trashcan.
  • Take care with the fireplace – many times Thanksgiving is the first of the winter holidays and the first time the fireplace has been used. Take special care that pets stay away from the fire. It is a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home to ensure all heaters are adequately ventilated.
  • Careful with table scraps and food – some dogs and cats deal well with table scraps and others get stick. Small breed dogs can be especially sensitive and develop a disease called pancreatitis. This is especially true with high fat meals. Don't feed your pet the skins to get rid of them. If you feed anything – offer small amounts of vegetables or meat. Many deserts contain chocolate, which pets don't need. Don't feed your pets chocolate.
  • No Bones – bones can be dangerous to dogs. Don't feed your dog the bones. If you dispose of them in the trash – make sure the trash is secure from your pet.
  • Special care with candles – this is a wonderful occasion to light some beautiful candles. Only do this with the candles are supervised. Never leave the room with a burning candle. Pets can knock them over causing burns or house fires.
  • Beware liquid potpourri – this is another item that is commonly used during the holidays to give the home a wonderful aroma. The liquid potpourri can be very caustic to the gums and throat of ingested. Spray or plug in air fresheners may be a safer alternative.
In addition, prevent your pet's access to any new cut flowers. Wash all bedding and vacuum like crazy. Doing this will also help clean, minimize the hair and make your home smell better.

In that vein, holiday plants toxic to children and pets:

1.) Poinsettia – The poinsettia is a popular and beautiful plant during the holiday season. These plants are usually not deadly when ingested. The plant has changed some through hybridization so the floral industry contends that these plants are not poisonous.

The poinsettia is listeed as poisonous because the sap is an irritant. If any part of the plant is ingested by a dog, cat, rabbit, or other curious pet the animal may show signs of oral irritation by shaking its head, hyper-salivating, or pawing at the head and mouth. The plant my also cause vomiting.

Treatment – Wash the sap off immediately to stop further irritation. If the animal is vomiting or if the eyes appear inflamed then call your veterinarian. Medications may be needed to treat your pets eyes and/or to treat the GI tract.

Continued...http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/christmas_plants_toxic_to_pets

That is great.

Are you telling JB he's a turkey?

Back