That's one expensive swing

Sharkdog

Reaction score
Handicap
Putting
So, I live in Ohio where the winters can be long. But like any fanatic golfer I insist on practicing my swing somewhere. The other night while in my garage got a bit steep on a 6 iron follow through and hit the holy crap out of my garage door track. Nothing broke this time but I am guilty of destroying some light fixtures in my past, nothing $30/$40 couldn't fix. How about anyone one else? What's the most costly damage done do to golfing indoors.

Don't tell my wife, but there are a few small dings in our drywall. And one slight tear in the fabric of the couch. (I'm going to blame that on the cat.)

I only do putting inside and never that aggressively.

Bladed a 9 iron right through the siding and wall into my boat garage. Shot was supposed to clear it and the trees behind it easily and fly into the woods. Perfect golf ball sized hole like I had drilled it with a hole saw bit.

My fence has more than a few dings from bladed chip shots. Nothing too terrible though.

When I was around 12 a guy gave my dad a set of old clubs in hopes that he would get into the game. The most that ever came of it was a couple of trips to the driving range.

One boring summer day I was home alone. I decided to go in the back yard and hit some balls. I snagged a club out of the shed and went to whacking. The only problem with this was that we lived in a neighborhood, and our yard wasn't near big enimough for me to be hitting balls in.

After spraying a few all over the place, I really got ahold of one. It was a low stinger that was really cooking...right up to the time that it smashed through the sliding glass door of the house behind us. It sounded like a shotgun went off.

I ran inside with the club, stashed it in the closet, then took off on my bike in case anybody came knocking.

Later in the day I stuck the club in my pant leg and walked it out to the shed (so nobody would see me carrying it). Not long after that a cop came knocking.

I made up some story about hearing a noise and finding a couple of balls in the back yard, and said that I had seen another kid in the neighborhood hitting balls in the alley a few days before.

Once my parents got home that evening, the cop returned along with the neighbors. I stuck to my story.

It wasn't until I was probably 25 that my wife spilled the beans to my Dad. He said he'd always figured I'd done it, but had enough doubt that he took me at my word. He did admit to paying for half the door, though. I have no idea how much it was, but it's the only damage I've ever done with a swing of a club.

Don't tell my wife, but there are a few small dings in our drywall. And one slight tear in the fabric of the couch. (I'm going to blame that on the cat.)

I chip back and forth in the downstairs family room. Last week I'm getting ready to paint it and I'm going round with the spackle repairing dings and I started laughing at all the ball marks with dimples in the drywall on the one wall.

If I swung a golf club in the house, it'd cost me half of everything ... so I don't do it.

My chipping practice has broken more than one of my wife's nic nacs in the past.

Probably luckily enough for me my apartment is too small to swing anything so everything is safe.......for now

I used to smash PW shots with a whiffle golf ball from my parents living room into the coat rack in their hall entry. For some reason it seemed like the perfect practice net. The only problem is that there is a ceiling fan in their hall entry, and the one time I actually flushed one, the ball hit the light globe on the fan dead center and destroyed it.

I kept a wedge in my old office that I would take practice swings with at work if I had a few minutes of downtime, usually early in the morning before anyone else got in.

I wore the cheap industrial carpet completely out in 2 places. They never asked why I was always moving my office furniture around...

Even using a "short club" in our bed room I once managed to accidently destroy our ceiling lights on a follow through.
Hitting one of the those foam covered balls with a hard core in our family room - I accidently bladed a shot that hit our window so hard - it put noticeable cracks in the window!
Emergency window repair took care of the evidence....
plus my wife is a Saint!!

I once took a golf club to the forehead messing around with a friend as a child. I believe that might've been an expensive trip to the emergency room for my parents!

havent really damaged anything... yet... but I almost put a hole in the ceiling last night from my follow through...

I have damaged drywall from throwing the tv remote lol!

I threw a golf ball through my uncle's window when I was like 3 or 4. He still hasn't fixed it, so I guess my answer is $0. Other than that, I haven't broken anything that wasn't a club while golfing or practicing ***knocks on wood***

Living room baseball was a different story!

I've been lucky to not break anything. But I dont swing in the house. Now my two year old with his cut down sand wedge so far hasn't broken anything. But I'm certain it'll happen!

I live on the left side of a par 3, and while we're pretty much out of the way we still get hit every once in a while.

I'm responsible for 2 good dents in my neighbors house (theirs gets a lot more damage than mine). They aren't really noticeable unless you're looking for them, so mostly they go without repair. My hits on their house were months apart, but within 4 inches of each other. Thats consistency.

Ceiling fan has been replaced....may or may not have been due trying a new swing path with the Sub Zero I had.....obviously I blamed faulty installation with the wife when she came home and it was lying on the living room floor.

I've hit some light fixtures and edges of counters but luckily nothing has been damaged. Unfortunately a few of those incidents were so loud, my wife heard and I'm banned from swinging indoors now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a ball through the window in the back of the garage in the rental I was in with my wife in college....and two in the drywall right below that. I went through the net I was hitting into at three different spots! Lucky for me my Father-In-Law use to build houses for a living. So, he measured and had a piece of glass cut for the window and replaced the glass himself. Plus, he patched the drywall and you could never tell. At least I got my full deposit back!

When I was a kid, I was swinging a club in my backyard...something I did all the time. On this particular day it was really humid, so the grips were slippery -- and so in mid-swing the club flew out of my hands directly into the side of my parent's shed. It was a metal sided shed, so the CRASH was super loud. The club hit the wall sideways, so a dent the full length of the club was imprinted in the side wall....so it was obvious a golf club made the dent. My parents came running outside to see what happened and I knew my "golf career" was over. They both just laughed and said be careful. I just stood there in awe......

Putter only inside so far so good.

During an early morning round with some NorCal THPers a couple of months ago I was extremely lucky. First fairway, 3W second shot, trying too hard to make the green, I hit a screamer off the toe that hit the doorframe above the oversized sliding glass door of a rather nice house. Even 80+ yards away the sound was loud. I can only imagine what it sounded like inside. I played it off as if I had it a good shot, and stealthily dropped a ball near the green and continued on as if nothing happened. Second tee, pulled my shot high and left over the houses and their protective netting, and it landed on someone's tile roof.

Thankfully, for the innocent bystanders as well as my score, I managed to settle down and actually play.

I haven't broken anything yet but came oh so close hitting the corner of a glass top dining room table with a PW. Sounded like a gun shot and to this day I can't believe I didn't at least chip it - not a crack or any other evidence of the strike seemed to be left behind - Lucky!

Back