The 10 Records That Have Influenced Your Life

Apparently I liked music more as a kid than I do now.

Beastie Boys - License to Ill
311 - 311
Blink 182 - Enema of the state
The Ataris - So long Astoria
Green Day - Dookie
The Offspring - Smash
Rage against the machine - Evil Empire
Sublime - Sublime
Unwritten Law - Elva
Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue
Bro!

I feel Ocean Avenue SO much!! Probably So Long Astoria as well.

I’ll just go with my #1
3A611EE9-6738-4261-B953-6AAF437AB819.jpeg

Bro!

I feel Ocean Avenue SO much!! Probably So Long Astoria as well.

The most unique concert I have been to was the Kris Roe from the Ataris by himself playing an acoustic set at a small CD store in a mall. He joined us at iHop after.

The most unique concert I have been to was the Kris Roe from the Ataris by himself playing an acoustic set at a small CD store in a mall. He joined us at iHop after.
man, I need to start hunting things like down on YouTube!

I have very odd taste in music, but most of these albums were from my late middle school through early college years. With the exception of Matchbox 20 (my wife loves them so it is now on the list), these are all albums that I still listen to.

Nirvana Nevermind
Pearl Jam 10
Tim McGraw Not a Moment too Soon
Garth Brooks No Fences
Frank Sinatra Live at the Sands
Harry Connick Jr. Blue Light, Red Light
Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion II
Green Day Dookie
Matchbox 20 Yourself or Someone Like You
Toby Keith How Do You Like Me Now

Two more that were hard to leave off my list:

Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World. That album is awesome from start to finish.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View. Pretty much the same.

Another one just for pure fun music - Presidents of the United States of America (by band of the same name).

man, I need to start hunting things like down on YouTube!

It was before smart phones or YouTube for that matter, none of us got any video.

ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Iron Maiden - Power Slave
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Ozzy Osbourne - Ultimate Sin
Van Halen - Van Halen
Dead End - Dead Line (Japanese Metal Band)
Guns n' Roses - Apetite for Destruction

Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds - live at Luther college
Nirvana - in utero
Alice In Chains - dirt
CCR - chronicle vol 1
LED zeppelin- IV
The doors - LA woman
***(Morphine - the best of morphine 1992-1995) I could listen to this all night all day forever probably my favorite of all time
The Beach Boys - shut down volume 2
The association - insight out
The Beatles - a hard days night

My young self - aggressive

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Appetite - GnR
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue (Got me started on rock music)
Led Zeppelin - III

My college self - started to learn classical guitar.....at first for a girl then for myself

Spanish Guitar Music - John Williams (classical guitarist not composer)
Friday Night in San Francisco - Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía
Concierto de Aranjuez - Paco de Lucia (His version is my favorite) The second movement is my absolute favorite piece of music ever

After college with a bigger view of the world

Red Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
Texas Flood - SRV and Double Trouble
Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

It's probably easy to see my fazes of life from my selections. These get me part of the way thru High School. :p
I really like all music so I'm probably leaving some out but these were the years.

Elvis - All of them
Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain, Girls Girls Girls
Poison - Open Up and Say Ahh
Guns-N-Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Garth Brooks - Garth Brooks, No Fences, Ropin the Wind.....
Tim McGraw - Everywhere
Boyz II Men - II
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - 1999 Eternal
Master P - Ghetto D
Tupac - All Eyez on Me

10) Hammerfall "Renegade". Read a review in Metal Edge in 2000. Found a fun band and really opened up the power metal scene in Europe to me at a time when the US metal scene was turning to sh*t.

9) Symphony X "V: The New Mythology Suite". Loved the album cover and decided to give prog metal a try. Ended up finding a great band and got to see them live, and play a lot from this album

8) KISS "Alive!" Buddy in 9th grade taped me a copy. I knew some songs but became a fan after one listen.

7) Def Leppard "Hysteria". Just edges out High n Dry as my favorite of theirs for me since it was first exposure to band from MTV. Can listen to this straight through and is a great driving album, although vocal layering is a bit overkill.

6) Megadeth "Rust in Peace". Remember seeing the video for Hangar 18 on MTV before a little league game while eating dinner. Cool artwork, intelligent lyrics, technical guitar playing..set a benchmark for what a good thrash album should be.

5) Pestilence "Testimony of the Ancients". Bought this on a french class field trip when we stopped at the mall. Crossed death metal and jazz fusion and led me towards other similar bands.

4) Queen "A Night at the Opera" First ever Queen album i ever listened to and just edges out their debut for me. Still listen to this weekly as it helps me fall asleep. Dunno why, but it works.

3) Iron Maiden " Live After Death". First album I bought of theirs, became my favorite band of all time.

2) Guns n Roses "Appetite For Destruction" A perfect album all the way the way through, had a rawness to it thats refreshing.

1) Pink Floyd " The Wall" I am a sucker for concept albums and this is one if my favorites.

The 10 albums that have shaped my music tastes and been the soundtrack of my life:

1. 311 - Transistor
The chill, the groove, the beat, when I found my style was this album

2. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
Alternative doesn't have to be depressing, this is the band that has played the soundtrack of my life

3. Sublime - Sublime
Groovy and bassy gone too soon, but left behind 23 absolute gems

4. AC/DC - Back In Black
The perfect beat and rhythm every single time. They are the pace of my life.

5. Weezer - Blue Album
The perfect pop rockers

6. The Cars - The Cars
Weezer's forefathers and then band that hooked me on the 80's

7. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
When I started loving Tom Petty I was actually living life

8. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Not a heavy metal fan at all and I have way gotten over thinking long songs are true art, but something about Metallica keeps me listening

9. Notorious BIG - Life After Death
The first time I enjoyed hip hop. I was never big on gangster rap so when this album dropped and started moving past that I found I enjoyed the beats

10. The Black Keys - El Camino
I emerged from the haze of having small children and realized groups are still making good rock music. This started a renaissance in my adult music tastes.

Last edited:
My initial reaction is to identify them based on different stages of growing up. As a young kid, you listen to what your parents played. For me, that was:
-Elvis Aloha from Hawaii
-John Denver’s Greatest Hits
-The Monkees Greatest Hits

So I was strongly influenced by the Monkees, and compilation albums.

Ten is a big list. This will take a while. Two that make the cut for sure are Born to Run and Appetite for Destruction

Back