The 145th Open Championship - Royal Troon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well the time has come for the oldest golf tournament and one of the most sought after pieces of hardware, the Claret Jug. The Open is upon us in what looks to be a great week on a historic course. The modifications made to Royal Troon were completed over the last three years in attempts to make the 145th Open Championship course more firm and links like. Let the crazy bounces and unpredictable weather ramp up and wreak havoc. So just how will the weather affect this year's Championship? Who are the favorites? Do we see one of the top players walk away with the Claret Jug or the likes of a Matt Fitzpatrick winning his first major?

The discussions will be fast and furious and I look forward to joining along with fellow THPers!

So time to set the alarm clocks early and grab a cup of coffee!

http://www.royaltroon.co.uk

COURSE: Royal Troon GC, 7,190 yards, par 71. Set against the rugged coastline of Scotland’s western coast, Royal Troon was established in 1878 and will serve as The Open’s backdrop for the ninth time. The course didn’t settle into its current form until 1909, when head professional Willie Fernie laid out its two most iconic holes in No.8 (Postage Stamp) and No.11 (Railway). The Open first arrived in 1923, which Arthur Havers won with a bunker holeout on the 72nd hole. Even more memorable is Gene Sarazen’s hole-in-one at the Postage Stamp in the 1973 Open, coming at age 71. Five of the eight Open champions at Royal Troon claim it as their only major title.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 4-7 a.m. (GC); 7 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 4-7 a.m. (GC); 7 a.m.-2 p.m. (NBC).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: None.

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 3 a.m.-1 p.m. ET; Saturday, 4 a.m.-2 p.m.; Sunday, 3 a.m.-1 p.m. (SiriusXM).

Last edited:
I love it. I will be up for the 1:30 AM tee time on Thursday! Its a tradition!

I love it. I will be up for the 1:30 AM tee time on Thursday! Its a tradition!
Haha i always do that before work too. Just fun to watch

You and me both! Same thing every year and my wife thinks I'm crazy. My favorite major by far!

Watching the pros struggle at the US Open and The Open make me feel better about my game. I certainly don't envy them when they are playing in 30mph driving rain!

Setting the DVR for Saturday and Sunday!

I will be there either Saturday or Sunday, not sure yet. Either way, this is my 2nd favorite major so I'm pretty excited to watch it in person!

The Open is my favorite major and I love Royal Troon. I'll be up early all week to watch!

I will be there either Saturday or Sunday, not sure yet. Either way, this is my 2nd favorite major so I'm pretty excited to watch it in person!

Are you serious??? Damn if so enjoy that and snag me a Open Flag.

I always enjoy waking up early to catch the coverage, can't wait to watch this year's tourney across the pond!

Really looking forward to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think DJ has to be the favorite heading into this.

This is becoming my favorite major.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Love the British Open.

Probably 1.B with the Masters for my favorite major. I love these style courses and conditions. This is always an awesome championship to watch

I love The Open...links golf, the weather, the rota...just awesome. I wonder what the weather is going to be like.

I love The Open...links golf, the weather, the rota...just awesome. I wonder what the weather is going to be like.
Looks like Friday will be the best day with scattered showers throughout the tournament.

Easily my favorite major to watch. Will catch all I can before work Thurs and Fri.

One of my favorite majors besides the Masters. Looking forward to watching early all by myself while the rest of the family, including the dog, will be sleeping. Uninterrupted nirvana.

Tee times are posted...

http://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

9:03 - Spieth, Rose, Lowry
9:25 - Day, Willet, Fowler
9:36 - McIlroy, Watson, Matasuyma
12:09 Curtis, Daly
1:36 - Mickelson, Els, Westwood
2:04 - Kaymer, Johnson, Knox

Fantastic championship!! Due to the televised times, my DVR will be set. I like watching it even when I know the eventual outcome!!

Time to start altering my sleep schedule to prep for Thursday. I love major weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back