DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So you’ve short sided yourself (in the rough) and have no green to work with. Green is running away from you….

How do you manage the 2-3 yard flop needed to get this shot close to the hole?

Ran into this like 3 times today and only manage to get one up and down and thats because I made a 10 footer.

Last edited:
Depends, out of a bunker, rough or, fringe?

Go to App Store , down load bible ,,,,, psalms 10.2 And God spoke to the ‘try hard ‘ ..... ‘ let my ball go’ ,,,,,,,and on the third stroke it rose again from the rough to the promised land .......
Amen 😇😀

If not buried in the grass to bad, a little itty-bitty bump and run with a 4iron, if buried, open my 58°wide open and maybe a 2ft back swing accelerating for a thump with no follow through and popping it onto the green. I've practiced this and get about 4ft of height and about the same forward carry, I find myself in to many shortside bunkers! 😕

Bring it to about hip height, accelerate into a full finish at a trickle of a pace. That, or purposely chunk the heck out of it. That’s all I got 🤷🏻‍♂️

I hit mini flops sometimes, but only when there's some irrigation issue I need to get the ball over. What ever wedge I use, I lay it wide open with a very open stance.

Rest of the time I'm either usig my 7w, or 7i with very abbreviated strokes. Much like a short putting stroke

What I do is usually with my 60-degree, bring the club back to knee height, then still have a firm follow through. Wouldnt say im the best at it but my misses in these situations are when I dont follow through and Ill chunk it.

Lob wedge, open it up. Short chipping stroke, I focus on turning the core and adding in a bit more hands than usual through impact to aid the flop. More of a swinging through the grass motion than stabbing at it.

This shot is high risk for the double hit.

Sitting up a bit, putter.
Down in the rough, a SW laid wide open, and hope for the best.

I am generally going to try to just pop it onto the fringe and see how it goes. I would not call it a flop as much as I would say it is a chip with a lob wedge.

My fav is the blade it across the green or into the bushes pas the green

Lay the 60 degree wedge wide open and swing like hell!

....after saying your prayers.

My fav is the blade it across the green or into the bushes pas the green

Depending on the thickness of the grass and slope to the green, if its not a hard chip, 56deg....If i had my druthers, i would roll it with he hybrid or 3 wood up tot he green edge and let it trundle on down to the hole

if not buried too deep, that fw/hybrid pop/putt may work as others have mentioned, otherwise open that face, say a prayer, and trust it

Lay the 60 degree wedge wide open and swing like hell!

....after saying your prayers.
Yep lay that LW wide open, ball toward front of your open stance and swing through it.

I'm opening up the wedge and playing a dead hand chip.

58* opened up half swing and don't decelerate the club. It may still go past but I'll make the comeback putt. :cool:

I like hitting the 2 yard flop with my wide open 60* wedge. You can't scoop it or it goes nowhere or you double hit it or you blade it 70 yards.
But.....the Phil Mickelson hinge and hold swing works well.....for me anyway.

64 degree wedge just play it straight up..

if it's not buried and sitting kinda nice then i will try and chip a sw. 1/4 back and 1/4 through. then walk to the other side of the green. say a curse under my breath, and line up my 30 foot putt

I’d show you but I’d have to kill you.....

haha but like many have said. Wide open 60. Putting motion and even tempo. Should come out with little spin and track at the hole

64 degree wedge just play it straight up..
I love the good ol 64 degree wedge. I will press my hands and open the face. Seems to keep me from chunking or blading it.

Back