If it's not buried too deep, a toe-down chip onto the fringe and deal with whatever putt(s) I have left would be my first choice. If that won't work, I'll try the mini-flop - face wide open, shaft laid down, wide open stance, short swing with no deceleration.

A short-sided flop out of rough is a really high risk shot. It's going to be hard to put any spin on the ball because of the grass getting between the ball and the clubface, and the potential is there to skull it and turn a 2 yard flop into a 50 yard bullet. Or equally as bad, to go right under the ball and be facing the same shot on your next stroke.

Really depends on the lie, but I'm in the opposite of the open up the lob wedge camp. That'd be unlikely for me. Probably a little pop stroke with the 54' to land it on a specific spot in fringe/green, but could be anything from AW to the toe of the putter. If it's sitting super pretty I might glide the 58* under it.

Lob wedge, opened so it looks like a dinner plate, nerves of steel & wrists of jelly. Maybe close your eyes.

First .... heads up people in front of me. Watch out for the bladed wedge on the other side of the green. Then Open the stance a lot, open the face of the highest lofted wedge you have .... wayyyyy open .... so open that it looks like if you hit the ball it would ricochet straight up & hit you in the face, Backswing .... take it back with very active wrists, break the club up very quickly, use the bounce of the wedge (the bounce is your friend), take a mean lash at it, aiming a bit behind the ball (all depending on the lie & amount of grass laying behind the ball of course). It should flop straight up & come straight back down. Just think of the Phil flop trying to hit over a person standing right in front of you.
Oh & pray you don't kill anyone on the other side of the green. 🙏

My fav is the blade it across the green or into the bushes pas the green
I don't always hit a lob wedge 100 yards but when I do it's always on a green side flop shot.

I had that exact shot last weekend. Just about two yards off the green, down lie in about 2-1/2" of rough. The green sloped away from me and from right to left.

I just lifted a gap wedge straight up over the ball and gently chopped down behind it. The ball popped forward a few feet and rolled down to the fringe in front of the green. I two putted for bogey from 40 feet.

There was no shot in my arsenal with even in a 1-in-20 chance of doing better than getting the ball on the green a long way from the hole. So I went with a shot that was almost guaranteed to do just that. The par putt was tracking most of the way and just grazed the lip on the low side as it lost speed. That would have been a miracle par.

Hitting my 7-iron shot to that spot had already cost me a stroke. My only goal was to make sure I didn't cost myself another stroke (or more) by doing something stupid.

After watching the ball roll all the way down to the bottom of the green, the 2 yard flop is my 6 foot frame tripping over the putter laying behind me when I turned away in disgust. :whistle:

8 iron for the bump & run, doesn't always work but it's my best chance.

On these, I like to widen my stance a bit, aim a little left and open the face way up. The feeling at impact I want is like trying to take a scoop of ice cream right under the ball.

If you practice this with just your right hand, you'll get the good feeling of breaking your wrists just before impact (only good for bunker shots and really exaggerated flop shots). But that visualization of taking an ice cream scoop at impact really works on these shots!

I don't really flop shot per se. It depends on how it is sitting. If it is sitting up nice in the rough, I put it forward in my stance, open my 60* up and take a nice smooth swing. In all honestly its a pretty long swing too now that I think about it but it will slide right under and create this nice little butter shot. Doesn't get really high like you would normally think of a flop shot but same kind of principle. You just have to trust it and remember to release the club face. Thats my go to on that but if its sitting down its a lot harder and I am probably going to try and give it a tiny little chip and hope it lands just short of the green and that keeps it from running a mile past. If its a tight lie, putter is probably the best option.

Open the clubface and lower the butt end of the grip. These two things go together. Aim the leading edge slightly right of the spot you want to land he ball. Then align your stance to the left with the butt of the club pointing to your belly button.
Imagine you are 90 years old and swing back to just short of half way and swing through to half way in the time frame it takes to say " half way back and half way through".

After 1st time short siding yourself I would make sure I didn’t do it again. Let alone a 3rd time!

I would probably take my 58° wedge, place head behind the ball, have the shaft completely vertical and close the club face about 25 to 30° and then just very softly take head straight back and straight through, shot basically hitting it off the inside toe area of the wedge. I can’t remember what the shot was called but it really works if you practice it for those 2 to 3 yards of the green. I call it my no-chunk wedge shot.

Lob wedge, open it up. Short chipping stroke, I focus on turning the core and adding in a bit more hands than usual through impact to aid the flop. More of a swinging through the grass motion than stabbing at it.

This shot is high risk for the double hit.
I hit mini flops sometimes, but only when there's some irrigation issue I need to get the ball over. What ever wedge I use, I lay it wide open with a very open stance.

Rest of the time I'm either usig my 7w, or 7i with very abbreviated strokes. Much like a short putting stroke

Open up stance but also commit to the path that the open stance dictates.
The ball will start on the clubface and the club will clear on an inside path.

I did this with a 3wd out of the rough last weekend with @KY Golfer

Practice your pop-it and drop-it shot around the practice green from various distances. It's worth adding this shot to your shot collection. Think shallow approach and controlled strike in a manner to pinch the wedge under the ball and let the ground help with the rebound. Let me know how you do!

I've been practicing such a shot as of late. Been getting more and more confident at it too

I can do a little choppy 1/4 swing with a lob wedge that gets pretty sticky... not as much as a half or full swing though, and it will still roll if something catches it.

If the green is really rolling so steeply that I'm considering a 6 foot flop shot, I will just bring out my putter and hope for the best.

Clint said ‘ mans gotta know his limitations ‘ ,,,,, no flops , it’s a complete flop , 😊😷😀

The flop is basically a bunker shot in grass.

It's all arms. Weight forward and stays forward. Ball off front foot, lots of right-hand dominance to get the club head moving past the hands, keeping the club face open and allowing the lead wrist to cup so as to never the let the club face roll closed.

Easy to describe, not so easy to do. Highly recommend you get a pro to teach you.

I'd do any other shot before the flop - even if it means getting the ball 20 feet from the pin. It will still be on the green and you'll still have a putt. With a flop, if there's any error in your execution, there's an extremely high chance your next shot will be from somewhere off the green - probably a lot worse place than you are now. That said, when you're just fooling around it's aways fun to try to the flop so you can build a little confidence for that one time when you actually have no other choice.

Last edited:
On a different note, if you’ve short sided yourself three times during a day, you might be playing at the pins too aggressively, playing directly at the pin vs playing to the wider side giving yourself a putt. If you overcook it you still have room for error.

Back