Also, it's very rotational...ideally the hands are actually a touch behind the ball at impact (as they were at set-up) and you rotate a lot to the left after impact.

That's great to hear. I love this technique, it's very repeatable. Early on before you get the hang of it, you might fluff a lot of them (esp if there's lots of sand), but you learn to adapt soon enough.

So far every shot has made it out with a chance to score.
Some had me jumping up and down hoping to hole out. LOL
I would never thought of this set up.
Thanks a bunch Pete for showing us your amazing techniques that you have learned.

So far every shot has made it out with a chance to score.
Some had me jumping up and down hoping to hole out. LOL
I would never thought of this set up.
Thanks a bunch Pete for showing us your amazing techniques that you have learned.

That's great to hear man, makes me really happy! Enjoy being positive every time you step into the bunker!

A new bunker video. Working a lot on my wrist action, get it to bounce more. Hitting one handed shots are a great way to feel that. I think this is as simple as it gets. I taught my girlfriend (beginner) to hit bunker shots in 30 mins. On the fifth try she got it up to about 7 feet.

Part 1: swinging with one hand, get the feeling of the club's sole just bouncing on the sand. Take very shallow divots. Seen from the front, our shaft angle is straight or even a bit behind the ball (in order to engage the bounce more). We also open the club face, of course. Note that we want to swing on a plane and exit on the same plane as well.
Part 2: Note how the wrists flip - this is crucial. No hands in front of the ball. If you do that, your leading edge is likely to get stuck and you won't get far. Since we flip we have to rotate our upper body a lot of through impact.
Part 3: Note the plane.

Last edited:
I'll have to give this a go next time at the practice area. It looks so simple, Thanks Pete

Time to resurrect this thread - so far this year it's been a total 180 to last year. My strengths are driving and short game. My weakness is my irons. It's always been the other way around. Last few tournaments I'm too steep and I'm hitting it waaaaay left, pull-drawing the snot out of the ball.

Will be looking a lot at these two clips to try to sort this out:

Improvements have been made! A loooot of balls. Hands hurt. Using a rope around my right arm and body to keep my elbow tucked in and tighten up the swing.

824282174.jpg

2452525377.jpg

Pete: You ever have issues getting stuck?

You are a more accomplished player than I am.... but a couple years ago, practicing "keeping my elbow tucked" wrecked havoc on my swing. Essentially, it led to jamming my elbow into my gut (rather than in front of the hip) which led to fanning the face open on the down swing. Since then, I have had to work on that.

No, not really. I never had very quick hands either and I could really only hit a fade.

Pete: You ever have issues getting stuck?

You are a more accomplished player than I am.... but a couple years ago, practicing "keeping my elbow tucked" wrecked havoc on my swing. Essentially, it led to jamming my elbow into my gut (rather than in front of the hip) which led to fanning the face open on the down swing. Since then, I have had to work on that.

Actually, I was working all last year to get away from getting stuck like that. I didn't get the open face problems so much, but my error was flipping my hands through too quick and getting inconsistent shot shapes popping up. Just practising a solid lower half of my body seemed to help me not get in the way of myself.

Positions looking pretty darn good there Pete. Are you seeing a lot less lefts with the irons now? I've actually started hitting my irons with a bit of a draw again, and I've found the simple act of adjusting for it a lot more difficult than it should seem....

Just a little full-speed video from today's range session. Doing some ugly little drop on the top but the flight and shots are consistent. A bit lower and with a baby draw.

The swing is Looking good Petter. Being consistent is #1 at least you know what to expect on course.

Practiced wedges the other day. Hit some spinners from 70 yards.

Begun work on my swing yesterday. Some basics first, adjusted my set-up which was too upright. Got me crouched over a bit more, weight on the balls of my feet and also made me more balanced in the down-and-through swing. Also got the ball back in the stance, as it had been creeping forward.

Primary objective: hit it higher. I'm good in the wind but seriously limited when I have 4-iron or more into a green. My 4-iron has a maximum height of around 45 feet and most players on tour hit them at around 90... I'm OK with my short irons and driver in terms of distance and trajectory. I will have more distance anyways since my workout this winter is more geared towards explosiveness.

We've got Flightscope, Simulator and two cameras to aid us in the work, so no material excuses.

We'll work on getting the ball up in the air and then straighten it out. Will update with videos and pics when I get around to taking them.

Last edited:

Vid from today's session. Swinging a PW. Left arm is a bit too flat and I'm a bit laid off, but it's leaps and bounds compared to last week.

Looking good, Pete. The low ball height comment above is interesting to me. Something that I can identify with.

Looking good, Pete. The low ball height comment above is interesting to me. Something that I can identify with.

I can't [expletive] wait to get rid of these DG S300s...

Can't view the video on my phone. I'll certainly give it a good look later tonight.

I can't [expletive] wait to get rid of these DG S300s...

Obviously your needs will be quite different from mine, but embracing the higher launching shafts has been very good for me.

hey Pete, quick question. At the :06 mark in the most recent video, your left wrist seems to be cupped, adding loft to your iron. That is counter to everything I have ever been taught. Is that something specific you work with? Or am I doing something wrong?

hey Pete, quick question. At the :06 mark in the most recent video, your left wrist seems to be cupped, adding loft to your iron. That is counter to everything I have ever been taught. Is that something specific you work with? Or am I doing something wrong?

Shaft is in (or should be) in a neutral position at address. I don't like pressing the shaft forward, I prefer it to be in a neutral position. Maybe that's why?

Shaft is in (or should be) in a neutral position at address. I don't like pressing the shaft forward, I prefer it to be in a neutral position. Maybe that's why?

Fair enough. It might be a camera angle thing, or I have been making a big mistake.

Fair enough. It might be a camera angle thing, or I have been making a big mistake.

I'd say it doesn't really matter, as long as you put the club in the right places afterwards.

Vid from today's session. Swinging a PW. Left arm is a bit too flat and I'm a bit laid off, but it's leaps and bounds compared to last week.

Looks good man, your head and whole upper body seem to be a lot quieter throughout the swing as well. Great job!

swing is really looking good Pete

Back