The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it utterly fascinating that Georgia football had 12 seasons with 10 wins or more in the 97 years prior to Mark Richt, yet chose to fire him after guiding them to 10 such seasons over the past 15 years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/

Skim alert but a friend of mine who plays college football told me that the onside kick by Bama was illegal. He said it says in the rulebook that the ball has to go 10 yards and then has to take a bounce

Edit: now seeing that it was in fact legal

Kickoffs are "free kicks", meaning, whoever gets to the ball first, after 10 yards, possesses it. The ball does not have to touch the ground or an opposing player.

I find it utterly fascinating that Georgia football had 12 seasons with 10 wins or more in the 97 years prior to Mark Richt, yet chose to fire him after guiding them to 10 such seasons over the past 15 years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/

I think it comes down to wanting to win or at least play for a national championship. The teams they go against had all competed for and won championships. If I had to guess the 5 teams they compete the most with for recruits they would be Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Clemson and Ga Tech. All but 1 have played for and all but 2 have won championships. They had lost faith Richt could do that. No doubt its a risky move.

Kickoffs are "free kicks", meaning, whoever gets to the ball first, after 10 yards, possesses it. The ball does not have to touch the ground or an opposing player.

Yeah I looked it up myself( should have done that originally) and it just has to do one of 3 of the rules. He texted me and thought it had to do all three

Skim alert but a friend of mine who plays college football told me that the onside kick by Bama was illegal. He said it says in the rulebook that the ball has to go 10 yards and then has to take a bounce

Edit: now seeing that it was in fact legal

Its a misnomer that it has to touch the ground (in most rules), but the reason most kickers put it on the ground immediately is to eliminate two things.
1. The ability for team to fair catch it
2. The ability to have interference called for going after it

Its a misnomer that it has to touch the ground (in most rules), but the reason most kickers put it on the ground immediately is to eliminate two things.
1. The ability for team to fair catch it
2. The ability to have interference called for going after it

He is a freshman in college and said he was always told that it had to touch the ground in high school which I think is still the case in high school.

This is what I get for trusting people and not looking it up myself haha

I think it comes down to wanting to win or at least play for a national championship. The teams they go against had all competed for and won championships. If I had to guess the 5 teams they compete the most with for recruits they would be Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Clemson and Ga Tech. All but 1 have played for and all but 2 have won championships. They had lost faith Richt could do that. No doubt its a risky move.

Remove Georgia Tech and insert Tennessee, FSU and South Carolina and you have it. We are talent rich and surrounded by Schools relatively close to our boarder, most likely Alabama is the longest drive and it is less than 3 hours from Georgia. We actually have 5 natural rivals that we play every year and that is a tough row to hoe. Clemson rotates onto the schedule periodically which only adds to the list. No one else approaches that many.

It is indeed a risky move, especially going from a proven recruiting juggernaut in Richt to an unproven head coach in Smart. To me, its about perspective. Les Miles, Frank Beamer, Mark Richt, Mack Brown and many, many others were great until they started losing top assistants. Most of which didn't pan out as head coaches. Time will tell if Smart fits the bill. Georgia may find itself in a similar situation to Tennessee rather than the school everyone seems to be chasing, Alabama. Tennessee fans lost faith in Phillip Fulmer. Most of those same fans would have given anything to have him back a year later.

By the way, every school you listed has both played for, and won national championships in football. I am assuming by stating two hadn't won championships, you were referring to Georgia Tech and Clemson. Clemson won the title in 1981 and Georgia Tech in 1990.

It is indeed a risky move, especially going from a proven recruiting juggernaut in Richt to an unproven head coach in Smart. To me, its about perspective. Les Miles, Frank Beamer, Mark Richt, Mack Brown and many, many others were great until they started losing top assistants. Most of which didn't pan out as head coaches. Time will tell if Smart fits the bill. Georgia may find itself in a similar situation to Tennessee rather than the school everyone seems to be chasing, Alabama. Tennessee fans lost faith in Phillip Fulmer. Most of those same fans would have given anything to have him back a year later.

By the way, every school you listed has both played for, and won national championships in football. I am assuming by stating two hadn't won championships, you were referring to Georgia Tech and Clemson. Clemson won the title in 1981 and Georgia Tech in 1990.

Correct, my fault for not clarifying, I meant during recent years and during Richt's Tenure. I think 2008 is as far back as you have to go for the ones I mentioned. UGA has one of their own in 1980.

Several top tier programs have or are in the process of changing coaches. Next season will be very interesting. I think Richt will find it tougher to be as successful in Miami. They don't have the facilities and fan support he is accustomed to. Tennessee will be a force on a national stage, in my opinion. Especially with the addition of Bob Shoop. He may be the best DC in the business.

I think Justin Fuente has put together a top shelf staff at Virginia Tech. Being able to set aside egos to keep Bud Foster is huge also. I look for them to make some noise in a few years, maybe sooner if he can develop a QB, which VT hasn't had in a decade.

Several top tier programs have or are in the process of changing coaches. Next season will be very interesting. I think Richt will find it tougher to be as successful in Miami. They don't have the facilities and fan support he is accustomed to. Tennessee will be a force on a national stage, in my opinion. Especially with the addition of Bob Shoop. He may be the best DC in the business.

I think Justin Fuente has put together a top shelf staff at Virginia Tech. Being able to set aside egos to keep Bud Foster is huge also. I look for them to make some noise in a few years, maybe sooner if he can develop a QB, which VT hasn't had in a decade.

That Tyrod Taylor guy is a pretty decent QB it turns out.

I've heard the hype on Tenn over and over for 15 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

He is a freshman in college and said he was always told that it had to touch the ground in high school which I think is still the case in high school.

This is what I get for trusting people and not looking it up myself haha

This is a great point and one often overlooked. High school football has many rules vastly different than what you see in college or the NFL. Horsecollar and pass interference are the main ones I see.

In case you are wondering, I refereed everything from pee wee to high school for nearly 20 years. It started as a way to earn a little money while in college. It was something I really enjoyed so I kept doing it until I had children.

I've heard the hype on Tenn over and over for 15 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Tyrod was the last good QB VT has produced but that was nearly a decade ago. A neighbor of mine is a freshman FB on the current roster. He seems excited about the future and the new staff, especially the new RB's coach.

This is a great point and one often overlooked. High school football has many rules vastly different than what you see in college or the NFL. Horsecollar and pass interference are the main ones I see.

In case you are wondering, I refereed everything from pee wee to high school for nearly 20 years. It started as a way to earn a little money while in college. It was something I really enjoyed so I kept doing it until I had children.

Refereeing is something I am thinking about getting into for some extra money once spring hits and sports is something I love and my area is always short on officials. I do wish though that rules weren't so different from each level of sports

Refereeing is something I am thinking about getting into for some extra money once spring hits and sports is something I love and my area is always short on officials. I do wish though that rules weren't so different from each level of sports
I think you'd love it TLeish! Its a great way to get out, meet new people, and help out the community. Some of my favorite summers were umping baseball.

Tyrod was the last good QB VT has produced but that was nearly a decade ago. A neighbor of mine is a freshman FB on the current roster. He seems excited about the future and the new staff, especially the new RB's coach.
You scared me for a minute, I was feeling old.

He was drafted 5 years ago, but it has been a while.

You scared me for a minute, I was feeling old.

He was drafted 5 years ago, but it has been a while.

Maybe i am the one getting old. God, it seems like such a long time since he was in Blacksburg. So much longer than 5 years!

I think you'd love it TLeish! Its a great way to get out, meet new people, and help out the community. Some of my favorite summers were umping baseball.

I am pretty sure I will do it. When I was playing high school basketball for our private school we paid our officials $120 a game and they would do 2 games a night. That is easy cash

TLeish, the only thing I would add to this, find the older guys in your area who have done it for a while and become a sponge. They have a wealth of knowledge and love sharing it with new officials, regardless of sport. I have refereed/umpired football, baseball, basketball and soccer for a lot of years. The little knowledge I have, I owe to a select few guys who helped me along the way. One in particular was a gentleman named Charlie Rand. Sadly, he passed away a year ago next week.

I think this if finally their year to win the east, they are solid at QB and their top 2 RBs are good. Having said that as a UGA fan I know what injuries can do to expectations so you never know. I also think that with the brick by brick that Butch has been preaching it is probably time for him to either win or hit the hot seat himself as he loses all of those skill players after next year. I am certainly not sold on him as a coach, he blew several games last year, one you can overlook, several not so much.

I think this if finally their year to win the east, they are solid at QB and their top 2 RBs are good. Having said that as a UGA fan I know what injuries can do to expectations so you never know. I also think that with the brick by brick that Butch has been preaching it is probably time for him to either win or hit the hot seat himself as he loses all of those skill players after next year. I am certainly not sold on him as a coach, he blew several games last year, one you can overlook, several not so much.

Pretty spot on. As for hype I would say there hasn't been any legit hype since 2007ish. We have sucked the past decade and any logical fan (not many exist, lol) would admit to that. Dooley set us back and was a complete joke that I hope we are recovering from. I believe Butch will get better at game management as he continues to surround himself with good assistants.

Pretty spot on. As for hype I would say there hasn't been any legit hype since 2007ish. We have sucked the past decade and any logical fan (not many exist, lol) would admit to that. Dooley set us back and was a complete joke that I hope we are recovering from. I believe Butch will get better at game management as he continues to surround himself with good assistants.
Maybe not by logical fans, but it seems like every year we hear that it is finally the year. Not saying they won't, but I'll just wait and see.

This perfectly answers the question many were asking about why UGA let Richt go even though he averaged almost 10 wins per year for 15 years. This was a 6 win team at best, I still marvel that they beat Missouri, Auburn, Ga Southern and Georgia Tech. None of those teams were very good, but they were all probably better than UGA.

No way was Tech better. We were just decimated by injuries. 21 players out. You were playing a Freshman-Sophmore squad for the most part.

Remove Georgia Tech and insert Tennessee, FSU and South Carolina and you have it. We are talent rich and surrounded by Schools relatively close to our boarder, most likely Alabama is the longest drive and it is less than 3 hours from Georgia. We actually have 5 natural rivals that we play every year and that is a tough row to hoe. Clemson rotates onto the schedule periodically which only adds to the list. No one else approaches that many.

Tech and UGA do compete some in recruiting. Simply by being in the same state. We'll never be the school for the 5 stars that UGA goes after but we compete heavily for those in-state 3 stars and 4 stars.

Tech actually has 4 National Championships. 1990 being the only modern one, but Georgia's last was in 1980. Clemson's in 1981 as you've stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back