The 2019 Small Batch Experience with Project X

I hit it on all 14 (non-par 3) holes today. This thing is tough as nails. I

I already have 3 pages of notes, and my first take away is that everything is low and generating a lot of left spin. Not a hook, but where I like to start right and draw back in, this starts right and turns over to the left side of the fairway.

I am seriously struggling to get the ball more than 20ft off the ground with this shaft, and when it's low I'm not getting the kind of roll out that I'm used to with my Accra. I changed up my swing a few times to try to promote hitting with a higher launch angle, and that was like BOOOM! Holy moly did it fly! I was into a 20mph headwind, and I hit two consecutive drives of 270 yards - a distance which I would be jumping for joy if I could hit regularly in no wind. Unfortunately, changing my swing to get the ball on that trajectory isn't something I want to do, and it wasn't easy to replicate.

It feels incredibly stiff, especially in the mid section. I'm not really sure how to put that into words, but it almost feels as if the kick point is too high for me. And I am always playing mid to high kick shafts.

What I found most odd, today, is that anything off center went seemingly nowhere. I had the course to myself, so I played two balls on every hole (1 with new shaft and one with Accra) The Accra's misses were simply directional, whereas the PX misses were directional and serious distance loss.

Going to hit the range with it either tomorrow or thursday and put it in front of my SC200

Its embarrassing but I had a hard time getting it to release at impact. I hit a lot of shots just off the ground. I tried a couple things and hit it very high, but almost like there was no compression/spin flight or something.

I game a hzdrus x 60 smoke yellow and its spot on. This is really far off from it.

It feels like I'm swinging plywood and feels like that on impact too.

This is exactly how I'm feeling

I already have 3 pages of notes, and my first take away is that everything is low and generating a lot of left spin. Not a hook, but where I like to start right and draw back in, this starts right and turns over to the left side of the fairway.

I am seriously struggling to get the ball more than 20ft off the ground with this shaft, and when it's low I'm not getting the kind of roll out that I'm used to with my Accra. I changed up my swing a few times to try to promote hitting with a higher launch angle, and that was like BOOOM! Holy moly did it fly! I was into a 20mph headwind, and I hit two consecutive drives of 270 yards - a distance which I would be jumping for joy if I could hit regularly in no wind. Unfortunately, changing my swing to get the ball on that trajectory isn't something I want to do, and it wasn't easy to replicate.

It feels incredibly stiff, especially in the mid section. I'm not really sure how to put that into words, but it almost feels as if the kick point is too high for me. And I am always playing mid to high kick shafts.

What I found most odd, today, is that anything off center went seemingly nowhere. I had the course to myself, so I played two balls on every hole (1 with new shaft and one with Accra) The Accra's misses were simply directional, whereas the PX misses were directional and serious distance loss.

Going to hit the range with it either tomorrow or thursday and put it in front of my SC200
I might have to borrow that after the testing is done. :D

I am seriously struggling to get the ball more than 20ft off the ground with this shaft
This part intrigues me since a little lower ball flight is something I was hoping to achieve. Maybe not 20ft off the ground low... but if that flight is assisted or caused by the flex profile you mentioned...

Absolutely amazing how shafts are so customizable.

This part intrigues me since a little lower ball flight is something I was hoping to achieve. Maybe not 20ft off the ground low... but if that flight is assisted or caused by the flex profile you mentioned...

Absolutely amazing how shafts are so customizable.

Wait until you see the excel spreadsheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the 5 members attending Small Batch, if you’ve ever had a question about a shaft, bows your time to write down the question on your phone and save it for when you have DB and his wealth of knowledge around the table. #makingtheimpossiblepossible

Wait until you see the excel spreadsheet.

I’ve heard of the spreadsheet... I might have to avert my gaze from time to time so my eyes don’t start spinning.

I played my nighttime league 9 with the hzrdus yellow back in. Night and day.

Great ball flight and launch, great feel.

So.......... now what?

Also, remember the first group message from DB stated specifically that if our favorite Project X shaft was a better baseline fit than what was sent out, that we can make modifications from that one.

Also, remember the first group message from DB stated specifically that if our favorite Project X shaft was a better baseline fit than what was sent out, that we can make modifications from that one.
Nailed it!

Early reports have me curious. Minus grip and tip, mine would be 58.5g I believe. And to have the crazy stoutness some have begun discussing....duuuuuuuude....

Correct. The smoke black was out proto shaft, and that shaft and I were not cooperating whatsoever. My custom is based off the even flow black EI instead. It’s lovely, and really hard to ever blame the shaft for anything so keep that in mind when you make yours. You’re gonna lose a solid reason as to why you didn’t hit that shot great.

How much longer in distance, on solid strikes, than your Gamer is the Tester Shaft?

How much does it curve right to left? 10 or 15 yards? Compared to your regular shaft?

Ball flight differences?

Any ballooning?

On the lower stingers, which seem to be more common, what is the total distance on drives?

Curious Minds are listening and learning from your Once in a lifetime experience.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

This has been a bad week to get out (so far). The weather was horrible on Tuesday and a strong wind started a brush fire from a lightning strike that the authorities said occurred days before. The fire burned about 400 acres and threatened one of my company’s real estate projects. The weather is now turning nicer again and I hope to get out soon to provide some feedback on the tester shaft.

I don’t have a scale to weigh a shaft, but intuitively, the shaft feels quite light. The Smoke Black 60 is actually 58 or 59 grams and this feels similar in weight, so #Jman’s statement on weight certainly does not surprise me. It will be difficult to know until I can actually hit some balls, but initially, it seems a little more stout than the Smoke shaft.

The Smoke Black is a darn good fit for me, so this will be a fun comparison.

Just gonna leave this here.

980B376D-DFBD-44D9-B401-85D845EC4737.jpeg

remember.....he's (DB TT) always watchingCapture.JPG

What are your Feels?

Will get into it tonight when I get home.

After a round and a full LM session....not at all what I anticipated this morning, esp after reading how it’s gone for others.

Let's Play a Round together, to see how The Tester Teaser Shaft behaves on the Course.

99cbcb88d0af086b432383554dc723ea.jpg

Will get into it tonight when I get home.

After a round and a full LM session....not at all what I anticipated this morning, esp after reading how it’s gone for others.

Well that looks like a winner for you right there, or pretty close to one.

@pmm21 I had the same deal with changing my swing to accommodate the shaft... it went far, but felt like I was hitting a bladed 1 iron with a hickory shaft in the cold of winter. But I'm not willing to change it up just for the driver.

Is that good? It looks to be similar to what a lot of us are saying: Low launch and left turning.

His isn't turning left. Its either a pull (which some golfers play) or just an alignment of the launch monitor, where you are aiming left of the target, because you didn't set up the target you were shooting at. It had virtually no spin going left.

His isn't turning left. Its either a pull (which some golfers play) or just an alignment of the launch monitor, where you are aiming left of the target, because you didn't set up the target you were shooting at. It had virtually no spin going left.

I should expand on this in that while a shaft doesn't necessarily cause a pull, its possible the body reacting to a shaft would create one.

Back