The 2019 Small Batch Experience with Project X

I had the extremely good fortune of attending my first event earlier this year, the Morgan Cup, so I know how awesome these things are. The biggest thing I look forward to is actually meeting other forum members and making new friends. I am also pretty stoked to see how a shaft is made. And, let’s face it. This is not exactly a bad time to be visiting San Diego. It’s all going to be great.
Haha. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a bad time to visit San Diego.

I'm looking forward to traveling to CA for the first time, meeting some solid hackers, learning new stuff, drinking beer.

I'm looking forward to traveling to CA for the first time, meeting some solid hackers, learning new stuff, drinking beer.
Don't Worry They Won't Bite.

Well Maybe, most wont.

Except for @pmm21

He definitely Bites.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I am completely drawing a blank in regards to my big breakthrough today (I'm tired) and I didn't my notebook with me to write it down. It'll come back to me.

What I do know right now is that I was hitting the shaft much better today. I eased up a lot and kind of let it guide me, if that makes sense. Better distance (though still not what I want) and so much improvement in ball flight. I think in the 50 balls I hit, I only hooked one! What was interesting is that my best shots today came from setting up by addressing the club head about 6 inches behind the ball (see pic.) This is not something I do with my driver, and it felt weird - something to do with "hitting up" on the ball? I don't know. All I know is that change made the shaft go from feeling like a rock to something I can work with.

op-OHRAD2-Wy5x8-XU8c-Lq-BT18-Z-n-KDe9ix-Te-Ffg6wz-Lf-Kni-Pr-ILHdi-YRy-Ldei-Quy-Sh-R0-PLk-T-bjwr-Hhwi367bt-BTy-GLXbgh-Tj-E7-Ukm-Jss-X4fm-Ne-r-GOkj4f6-LICa-Yt-Nnja-ETMn3e-Ua-XBl-JMMUg-YBb8-Njw-Yej-Av-Pd-f-Y9-Ebl1-c-Hq5y-As7-KIIm-O1t-Sdn-4-JLq8c-Wy-YZDcwg-CP3eab-myrd9-YUbw-J2-A6t-QZq-j-Vp-GOFwceic7-CUg-ZVwgq-X-OQ8t-Rm-M.jpg

The spin still seems to be way too high for me, as more than half of the balls (good or bad) were total drop and stop.

My takeaway from today is that I think I need more torque, and less flex.

*forgive the dead grass in the pic. This is the sunday set up at my club. They don't want a bunch of drunk weekend warrior yahoos tearing up the good turf.
Where are you practicing?

This is California.

The Land of Milk and Money.

Cheers.

Just kidding. Of course.
81592508c2c20024433de29fa0152596.jpg
6086de16a418113504709d0397a95781.jpg
e08003ca60f32daa689eaea6df2b298a.jpg

Project X Small Batch Experience - Shaft Testing - Session Three

Links to previous updates:

Session One Feedback: CLICK HERE
Session Two Feedback: CLICK HERE

Session three is in the books and....golf is such a fickle mistress. Welcome back to the party caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.

Anyway, before that little SOB snuck back in I got a lot of GOOD swings in and tried to sort out in my head more what I am feeling vs seeing.

Feel wise, I do get a little more activity out of this one, not necessarily more than the Smoke, but, maybe more in a different location. Visually looking at the width of the shaft, it does seem a little more narrow of a taper further up into the hands, but I'm still not feeling it as awkward or too small, this is something I'm really curious to hear about when we find out exactly what this one is. I am starting to really enjoy the weight, I might like a little more towards the head to up the SW a touch, but that might also just be me thinking back into what have been my preferences for so long (and something I could change with the weight of the head itself too I suppose).

Flight is still on the higher end for me, and by that I mean I'm hitting around a 34Y average peak which is UNHEARD of for me. Part of me wants to say I'd like that down a little, but given the spin numbers there's no need for that, the spin remains pretty low on average but with this killer launch and that spells a lot of fun.

I do get more out of it with a more aggressive move/lag, so I see where some more deliberate moves could battle it a bit (probably not the best wording but my noggin is tired). For me the more I put into it, the more it has responded. No hooking issues. I did lose more this time out to the right, but I'm thinking that was swing/face and am intent on a couple more sessions to verify that.

Again I sit trying to think of what I want to tweak and not coming up with much. Its a wild place to be.

Aesthetic Pondering:

Really leaning some sort of slick gunmetal silver look, and I want to bring back something similar to the old LZ graphics but with the initials of the three kiddos and wife as the type (AJM, CJM, MJM, OJM) because that could be pretty killer. Might integrate our golf team masot/tiger, might not. Considered some fade paint job but I'm leaning more simple on that front. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Choices!

Project X Small Batch Experience - Shaft Testing - Session Three

Links to previous updates:

Session One Feedback: CLICK HERE
Session Two Feedback: CLICK HERE

Session three is in the books and....golf is such a fickle mistress. Welcome back to the party caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.

Anyway, before that little SOB snuck back in I got a lot of GOOD swings in and tried to sort out in my head more what I am feeling vs seeing.

Feel wise, I do get a little more activity out of this one, not necessarily more than the Smoke, but, maybe more in a different location. Visually looking at the width of the shaft, it does seem a little more narrow of a taper further up into the hands, but I'm still not feeling it as awkward or too small, this is something I'm really curious to hear about when we find out exactly what this one is. I am starting to really enjoy the weight, I might like a little more towards the head to up the SW a touch, but that might also just be me thinking back into what have been my preferences for so long (and something I could change with the weight of the head itself too I suppose).

Flight is still on the higher end for me, and by that I mean I'm hitting around a 34Y average peak which is UNHEARD of for me. Part of me wants to say I'd like that down a little, but given the spin numbers there's no need for that, the spin remains pretty low on average but with this killer launch and that spells a lot of fun.

I do get more out of it with a more aggressive move/lag, so I see where some more deliberate moves could battle it a bit (probably not the best wording but my noggin is tired). For me the more I put into it, the more it has responded. No hooking issues. I did lose more this time out to the right, but I'm thinking that was swing/face and am intent on a couple more sessions to verify that.

Again I sit trying to think of what I want to tweak and not coming up with much. Its a wild place to be.

Aesthetic Pondering:

Really leaning some sort of slick gunmetal silver look, and I want to bring back something similar to the old LZ graphics but with the initials of the three kiddos and wife as the type (AJM, CJM, MJM, OJM) because that could be pretty killer. Might integrate our golf team masot/tiger, might not. Considered some fade paint job but I'm leaning more simple on that front. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Choices!

Even though I do not have nearly the swing speed that you have, we surely are finding some things in common with the tester. My misses during my weekend round were all to the right and, as I mentioned in a prior post, I would actually like to get the ball flight down a tad.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread for this inquiry, but I am wondering if any of you San Diego area Hackers are interested in playing some golf on October 5 or 6, after this event?

My apologies if this is the wrong thread for this inquiry, but I am wondering if any of you San Diego area Hackers are interested in playing some golf on October 5 or 6, after this event?
Throw this into the travel and extra rounds thread. Good way to get a group together.

Don't Worry They Won't Bite.

Well Maybe, most wont.

Except for @pmm21

He definitely Bites.

@AnthonyC I am a bit much. But regardless, you and I are going to have some fun on wed. Be sure to bring a lot of credit cards ;). Last time I was at the gallery I think I dropped over $5k and didn't buy a putter.

@Alez367 and I are trying to sort out some Wednesday golf. He mentioned a cool spot for night golf as well, which sounds like a hoot if you're interested.

Loving this thread so far guys. I am enjoying the concept of the test shaft not being a perfect fit for everyone allowing it to be tweaked in multiple directions to suit the different players. If there is one technology that I enjoy reading about the most, it could be the graphite shaft.

Really looking forward to hearing about the customization process. And I think you guys are doing a great job posting your thoughts on the test shaft.

Even though I do not have nearly the swing speed that you have, we surely are finding some things in common with the tester. My misses during my weekend round were all to the right and, as I mentioned in a prior post, I would actually like to get the ball flight down a tad.
Thanks dude. Appreciate you checking out the ole update haha

My swing went jankety by the middle fo the second 18 on Monday, started sucking the club back inside and sliding again. So much of the right movement there for me was all on me, ugh.

Hopefully things sort out better today. I really want to find SOMETHING that I go, AHA! Change this! But so far, I could game this and the data keeps backing it up.

Got a tee time booked after work today... packed extra balls because I will be hitting driver. I’m curious to see the flight compared to range balls.

One of my favorite live updates threads of the year.

I cannot wait to see how wrong everyone is on their guesses when Don asks them what they think the shaft is in the conference room.

Just curious if any of you prior participants still use your tester shaft or what you ultimately did with it.

I cannot wait to see how wrong everyone is on their guesses when Don asks them what they think the shaft is in the conference room.

Yes, this will be very interesting.

Just curious if any of you prior participants still use your tester shaft or what you ultimately did with it.

I do off and on. It’s also used by others that I play golf with when they want to demo the smoke shaft and they play another brand.

I’ll throw it in play as my custom is not a huge change and I’ve let people borrow it who were interested in the HZRDUS Smoke.

Got to the golf course and played 9 before it got too dark. I hit driver on every possible hole, and teed up two balls each time. My playing group were really good about it and super pumped to hear about this experience! Here are my thoughts from today.

It was getting cool out. Temperature was hovering around 8 degrees Celsius (around 46 F) and just barely started to sprinkle rain on the last hole so I expected that to be a factor.

Hitting two balls, I tried a smooth swing on the first and really went after it on the second.

Ball 1:
  • Every first shot was really straight today! Felt very weird hitting driver on some holes but was rewarded with a 70 yard chip into the green one time!
  • Average distance as measured by SwingU was 251.5 yds.
  • Strikes were solid, but again not seeing much roll-out.
  • Ball flight was still higher than I’d like.
  • Shaft felt good, I seemed to sense a fair amount of flex around mid-shaft, and on one particular shot it was moving slightly into my hands.
Ball 2:
  • With a more powerful swing (I’d estimate 95% full power) every ball sliced. Off line by an average of 60 yards or so... I was happy for the extra balls in my bag since a couple were not retrievable.
  • Flight was still high, and these seemed to really fall out of the air at a steep angle.
  • Comparatively, distances were slightly better on average but still below my season numbers.
  • I could REALLY feel the head behind my hands, like it was struggling to keep up. I’m wondering it this is a torque or flex thing.

Overall, I felt like I was getting used to things, as I liked the shaft weight on both swing types. I am less certain that this is a thinner shaft at the grip now, but I have not pulled out my calliper on purpose.

The journey continues...

Got to the golf course and played 9 before it got too dark. I hit driver on every possible hole, and teed up two balls each time. My playing group were really good about it and super pumped to hear about this experience! Here are my thoughts from today.

It was getting cool out. Temperature was hovering around 8 degrees Celsius (around 46 F) and just barely started to sprinkle rain on the last hole so I expected that to be a factor.

Hitting two balls, I tried a smooth swing on the first and really went after it on the second.

Ball 1:
  • Every first shot was really straight today! Felt very weird hitting driver on some holes but was rewarded with a 70 yard chip into the green one time!
  • Average distance as measured by SwingU was 251.5 yds.
  • Strikes were solid, but again not seeing much roll-out.
  • Ball flight was still higher than I’d like.
  • Shaft felt good, I seemed to sense a fair amount of flex around mid-shaft, and on one particular shot it was moving slightly into my hands.
Ball 2:
  • With a more powerful swing (I’d estimate 95% full power) every ball sliced. Off line by an average of 60 yards or so... I was happy for the extra balls in my bag since a couple were not retrievable.
  • Flight was still high, and these seemed to really fall out of the air at a steep angle.
  • Comparatively, distances were slightly better on average but still below my season numbers.
  • I could REALLY feel the head behind my hands, like it was struggling to keep up. I’m wondering it this is a torque or flex thing.

Overall, I felt like I was getting used to things, as I liked the shaft weight on both swing types. I am less certain that this is a thinner shaft at the grip now, but I have not pulled out my calliper on purpose.

The journey continues...
Good feedback dude!

What drivers is everyone using for testing this year?

Anthony C - TS4
Jman - Ping 410 LST
TenPutt - Epic Flash SZ
YukonLiving - M3
PMM21 - epic SZ

Last edited:
I have had a lot of success with my Cobra F9 driver from the Morgan Cup, but on multiple occasions through the year, I have hit a few different drivers for a round or two or in the golf shop on a launch monitor. I have consistently seen the highest ball speed from the Epic Flash Sub Zero. I wavered quite a bit because launch monitor numbers don’t often translate for me for whatever reason, but I decided to pick one up and am going to bring it to the event. This is risky, bringing something brand new with which I am not familiar, but at this point in my life, 3 or 4 mph ball speed is significant. If I can get it dialed in with the perfect shaft for me, I might have a monster driver on my hands.

Long answer...

Back