The 2019 Small Batch Experience with Project X

Awesome! I was wondering if she was coming based on some of her wording in PMs. So glad she's able to make it out!

Me too. Big week of meetings and content leading up to the event and thankfully she can assist. Going to be a fun one. One of my favorite few days every single year.

So, this happened today with this shaft. Wind aided, but still...F0CC9BA6-ED11-4A32-B058-42F86B04A344.jpeg

Project X Small Batch Experience - Shaft Testing - Session Two

Links to previous updates:

Session One Feedback: CLICK HERE

Managed to get out for a little bit during High School practice yesterday and as the entire boys team was gone down the road to another local course for driving range time, I was able to hit a few while working with the girls on their practice round for the day.

No LM screen shots will be posted this time, that said, I did hit about 20 on the GC2 and there were a couple things that stuck out again. The average launch over the session was in the 12* plus range, even better that the prior outing and this is a HUGE deal for me as that is a sweet spot for me to hit the peak heights I always shoot for. Also, ball speed averaged out to 158 over 20 shots with a peak of 164, the reason I mention this is twofold:

1) The lighter weight HAS to be helping there, but the shaft is standing up at that lighter weight while also staying in a spin realm that is lower than I would expect.

2) As I swing it more, I can tell swing by swing my body is getting acclimated and my mind is getting comfortable enough to really jump on it, that is always a lot of fun .

Now, I did see some things I didn't last time, a couple of REALLY swipey swings hit spin rates of 3700+ which was higher than anything last time. Again, this is all me swinging like I was chopping wood on those I have no doubt, but I want to mention everything I see and can thing of. Overall, lowest recorded spin was 2008 RPM and average was 2872 RPM which is more impressive with the couple creeping in on "insane" spin in there.

It remains much lower spinning than I would have ever guessed for the weight, yes it is in a low spin driver, but with the stock shaft in it last week I was seeing about 350 RPM more per solid impact swing, that is a big deal. Also, the launch has been much better than I hoped for, and I think what we are seeing difference wise in this one from people is definitely related to speed. I'm going to have a couple of my HS kids swing it next week to compare, going to have one of my 90 MPH range kids as well as a 100 MPH range one just to really see whats going on.

Feel wise, I actually dig it. There is a kick to it that tells me when I load it up, but it remains easily trackable during my swing, I don't lose where the head is and for me as I can get a little crazy from the top, that is a big deal.

I remain searching for things I can say "I want to change THAT" about it all, but I'm just going to keep taking notes, keep rambling, and see how it all sorts out!

Wow some awesome feedback so far guys. Sounds like the test shaft is pretty awesome.

Wow some awesome feedback so far guys. Sounds like the test shaft is pretty awesome.
I know its one of those things where some out there will roll their eyes at the immediate positive thoughts by some of us, but you having gone through it know that every year there are some that the tester works for, and some it doesn't. Crazy awesome part to it all.

I'm pretty surprised by how much I'm enjoying what I am seeing in a lighter shaft, I've played lighter before, but always shy away in the end for various reasons.

I also sort of hope its like R flex or something and my mind is broken forever. Hahaha!

I know its one of those things where some out there will roll their eyes at the immediate positive thoughts by some of us, but you having gone through it know that every year there are some that the tester works for, and some it doesn't. Crazy awesome part to it all.

I'm pretty surprised by how much I'm enjoying what I am seeing in a lighter shaft, I've played lighter before, but always shy away in the end for various reasons.

I also sort of hope its like R flex or something and my mind is broken forever. Hahaha!

Yep definitely, the testing part is almost as much fun as designing the shaft and your right it doesn’t always work for everyone. I was one that didn’t love the test shaft we got.

If what I’m reading is accurate does this shaft remind you of another shaft from a different manufacturer many are familiar with or is the spin a bit lower?

Yep definitely, the testing part is almost as much fun as designing the shaft and your right it doesn’t always work for everyone. I was one that didn’t love the test shaft we got.

If what I’m reading is accurate does this shaft remind you of another shaft from a different manufacturer many are familiar with or is the spin a bit lower?
It really doesn't, and thats what is getting me a bit. Feel wise for me its Black and Smoke Black had a baby, but, the weight is in that Helium range....without the spin I get from that.

It has me tripping over my words and that is NOT something I am used to. Haha

I remember there were 4 of us that hated it, and 3 that basically said don't change a thing. And there was Mr. Tox that tells Don "Make me a yellow, but change this and this."

For the participants, when you're talking to Don about the test shaft and what you thought about it, make sure to reference any shaft that you've had success with in the past. Not just PX shafts. I basically had 0 experience with any px wood shafts before the event. When I talked about a couple other shafts I enjoyed, Don was able to determine what mandrel to use and started playing with different flags til we got to the profile, weight and tq he thought would be best for me. The guy is a mad scientist.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Last night, I got in 9 holes with the shaft. I did not bring my A swing and was not making consistent solid contact with any of my clubs. However, I am really liking the shaft. There was a very stiff wind. On many of the holes, I was either hitting into the face of it or riding the wind, hence the drive of over 320 yards (albeit a very flat fairway on that hole).

Hole number 1 was probably my best drive of the 9. Golfshot measured it at 271, into the wind, which was a huge drive for me. However, what truly stood out is the window of the ball flight and the nice little draw. The ball clearly looked low spin. I am getting plenty of ball speed relative to my capability when I make a good swing. I am hitting it into the window I desire and the spin appears to be low.

What I am also still feeling is a kick to the shaft through impact. It definitely feels like there is more kick than other Hzrdus products. I am very curious to see if I am just feeling something that is not there, or if this profile truly is intended to have that kick.

Overall, I am still pretty excited about what I am seeing with this tester shaft. A lightweight shaft, that provides that feel, but yet remains very stable is all I could ever hope for in a driver shaft.

It really doesn't, and thats what is getting me a bit. Feel wise for me its Black and Smoke Black had a baby, but, the weight is in that Helium range....without the spin I get from that.

It has me tripping over my words and that is NOT something I am used to. Haha

What a great description, “Black and Smoke Black had a baby.” This is precisely what I am feeling so far, A shaft that is sort of a combo of Black and Smoke Black, with just a little more kick thrown in to spice it up.

This quickly became my favorite event/exprience/whatever. I want a mystery shaft to play with. o_O

It is going to be so cool to find out if we are correct about our preconceived ideas about what shafts work for us.

What a great description, “Black and Smoke Black had a baby.” This is precisely what I am feeling so far, A shaft that is sort of a combo of Black and Smoke Black, with just a little more kick thrown in to spice it up.
You're not alone in the kick. Its there, and its something I haven't really felt with an PX shaft like this since the OG LZ's

It is going to be so cool to find out if we are correct about our preconceived ideas about what shafts work for us.

learning stiffness does not equal strength and the examples given were o_Oo_O.

I remember there were 4 of us that hated it, and 3 that basically said don't change a thing. And there was Mr. Tox that tells Don "Make me a yellow, but change this and this."

For the participants, when you're talking to Don about the test shaft and what you thought about it, make sure to reference any shaft that you've had success with in the past. Not just PX shafts. I basically had 0 experience with any px wood shafts before the event. When I talked about a couple other shafts I enjoyed, Don was able to determine what mandrel to use and started playing with different flags til we got to the profile, weight and tq he thought would be best for me. The guy is a mad scientist.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Very much this. The prototype smoke and I did not get along. Don asked what I wanted to see ball flight wise, and what I was seeing with the prototype. He asked what I used prior to the test shaft. We pulled a few shaft EI profiles, tweaked a thing here or there, and voila.

I think talking with the absense of swing numbers in your custom shaft helps the most. Having a rough idea of your launch and spin in whatever shaft you use I’m sure helps to an extent, but just being honest with what you want and like goes a lot further.

learning stiffness does not equal strength and the examples given were o_Oo_O.
Very much this. The prototype smoke and I did not get along. Don asked what I wanted to see ball flight wise, and what I was seeing with the prototype. He asked what I used prior to the test shaft. We pulled a few shaft EI profiles, tweaked a thing here or there, and voila.

I think talking with the absense of swing numbers in your custom shaft helps the most. Having a rough idea of your launch and spin in whatever shaft you use I’m sure helps to an extent, but just being honest with what you want and like goes a lot further.
It can be a mix though, no? Honest feedback has to be the foremost thing on feels and thoughts, but for those of us who have it available (and use it all the time for the work here anyways) it also makes sense to be able to discuss those things too, right? If I'm off though, I'll stop talking numbers altogether in here, no problem.

I find #Jman’s description very similar to my initial conclusion from my range session today. I honestly felt like this shaft felt very similar to a Smoke Black, but, on a continuum, a little more towards the Hzrdus Black. It will be fascinating to learn what the characteristics of this shaft really are, but I really like the combination of stability, plus a little kick through the impact zone.

It will be interesting to see what ball speeds/club speeds all of we participants have (for purposes of seeing if there is a correlation to whether or not we like the shaft). Simply for reference, my swing varies a lot at this stage of my golf career, but I believe when I am on and feeling loose, I have club speed of around 103 and ball speed around 150. A couple of weeks ago, I was seeing ball speed of 160 and club speed of 107/108, but that was a rare day. I also am a high launch player, with a swing fault of adding dynamic loft. I truly like this shaft. A lot...

Nice write-up Craig. What changes would you make to optimize it?

It can be a mix though, no? Honest feedback has to be the foremost thing on feels and thoughts, but for those of us who have it available (and use it all the time for the work here anyways) it also makes sense to be able to discuss those things too, right? If I'm off though, I'll stop talking numbers altogether in here, no problem.

nonsense friend, your write ups are solid as can be. I guess if I were going to word it another way, know if you’re a high spin low spin, high launch low launch kind of guy. Comment on what the prototype shaft did or didn’t do for you, and then what you would like to see out of your custom shaft. Say you would like a lower spin then the test shaft, but not you want 700 RPM less spin. Does that make a little bit more sense?

Not sure if you meant to quote my post but I think your recent post about the test shaft making you think and trip over words is exactly what this process is meant to bring out. One baseline shaft amongst you 5 and seeing the differences is a perfect example of why “go get fit” is truly the ultimate and only answer to “what works best for me”. The process makes you think and be honest with yourself about what you want out of a shaft and what you’re really willing to concede to make it happen. Keep on detailing your experience so the rest of us can geek out when the retail offering is released

I am not quite sure what @Alez367 was saying, but I think almost everyone loves to see numbers.

Nice write-up Craig. What changes would you make to optimize it?

I may have a better idea after the weekend, but right now, I might try to get the launch down just a tad, without removing all of the kick. Honestly, I could play this tester permanently and not have one complaint. It is a really good shaft for me.

Not sure if you meant to quote my post but I think your recent post about the test shaft making you think and trip over words is exactly what this process is meant to bring out. One baseline shaft amongst you 5 and seeing the differences is a perfect example of why “go get fit” is truly the ultimate and only answer to “what works best for me”. The process makes you think and be honest with yourself about what you want out of a shaft and what you’re really willing to concede to make it happen. Keep on detailing your experience so the rest of us can geek out when the retail offering is released

IIRC, you are a huge proponent of the Smoke Black. What tweaks would you make to that shaft to optimize it even further for yourself?

IIRC, you are a huge proponent of the Smoke Black. What tweaks would you make to that shaft to optimize it even further for yourself?

I took the smoke black, loosen the tip end a bit, raised the torque to keep the feel I liked and then added a small bit of T1100 to strengthen the overall stability.

Back