EXPERIENCE The 2020 Grandaddy of em All with Callaway Golf

Not a participant, but I proudly game The Canary, and discuss the GD with anyone who asks!
20201202_120601.jpg

2021 Grandaddy Participants, what was your favorite 2020 Callaway product? I know each of you have at least 1 thing from 2020 in the bag!

@Tevenor @93civiccpe @Muchmore18 @xThor @RealPretendPsychic @dacatalyst41

It truly is a toss up for me! As much as I love the 2020 Chrome Soft X, the Mavrik Sub Zero is my favorite! It looks, performs and sounds amazing!

If anyone else on the forum wants to chime in, go right ahead! Maybe @McLovin @radiman @bigskyirish @HarryPotter @mikeg_74 @zbeekner4 @clarkgriswold @Snickerdog @tomcat @badolds @JMB3 @NoShanks @j_sizzle9 could chime in also! I think they may have 1 or 2 items in the bag from 2020! :ROFLMAO:
TLDR version is Standard Mavrik driver. I have a busy day at work but will write a novel about it this evening.

2021 Grandaddy Participants, what was your favorite 2020 Callaway product? I know each of you have at least 1 thing from 2020 in the bag!

It truly is a toss up for me! As much as I love the 2020 Chrome Soft X, the Mavrik Sub Zero is my favorite! It looks, performs and sounds amazing!

If anyone else on the forum wants to chime in, go right ahead! Maybe @McLovin @radiman @bigskyirish @HarryPotter @mikeg_74 @zbeekner4 @clarkgriswold @Snickerdog @tomcat @badolds @JMB3 @NoShanks @j_sizzle9 could chime in also! I think they may have 1 or 2 items in the bag from 2020! :ROFLMAO:

Easy answer for me. The MD5 wedges. Simply amazing. Between getting fitted for those wedges and working on some swing changes, it turned my chipping/pitching game around from the worst part of my game to almost the best part of my game. Huge turn around.

Close second but not doesn't qualify since it was a 2019 model is the Toulon Las Vegas. Love the feel of it.

It’s a real toss up for me between the two 2020 releases I have in the bag. The Mavrik Max and Triple Track Ten S have both changed the way I play. I’ve never been more confident on the greens and my putting has reflected that this year. My alignment with the TT Ten is so good I feel like I can make putts from anywhere on (or off) the green. I have a stiffer and heavier shaft in the Mavrik Max than my previous driver, so it’s dramatically different than what I was hitting. But I feel super confident pulling driver on the tee. My bad shots are significantly better than what I was used to and I’m almost always in play with driver off the tee. It’s completely changed the way I approach holes!

triple track marxman. i'm not making every putt i look at, but i feel like as long as my read is decent, i have the best chance i've ever had to make more putts.

For me it's the 2020 CSX golf ball. The fairway woods are a close second, but the golf ball has changed my game from tee to green. I cannot overstate it enough how much I have come to love the ball and have stocked up on them.

You 2 have me very excited to get fit for the top of the bag. I have been fit for irons, wedges, putter and a driver. Never the fairways or hybrids. I want to find a 3 wood that is going to be a weapon for me and I am thinking a 5 wood may be in my future!
You probably realize this. But, I would make sure you mention that to your fitter. They want you to get the most out of your time with them. I never had a true fitting before the event aside from one driver shaft fitting that saw me getting the best results with the shaft I already had. So, I was kind of a blank slate. The time is pretty limited. So, just ensure you communicate with the fitter. They're amazing at what they do and should be able to dial you in pretty quickly.

My Toulon Chicago. Man if anyone truly knew the struggle I had with putting this year, no one would ever guess that a putter was my favorite thing from their 2020 line.

My putting was hot garbage this season before I put this in the bag. I finally trust myself over the ball and it’s a great feeling. The roll I’m able to put on the ball is outstanding and the feel of the face is one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. I love how it’s a true blade shape but just a little wider to inspire that extra little bit of confidence.

Then again maybe it just took me switching to putting right handed. Who knows, but I’m definitely giving all the credit to the Chicago.

Honorable mentions are the CSX and the JAWS wedges. I didn’t get as much time as I wanted with the ball because it was hard to find in stores here. I already had a ton of Bridgestone I ordered earlier in the year so I didn’t feel like I should order any. I eventually did and the ball is outstanding, I just didn’t get enough time with it to truly appreciate it.

Also I have an MD5 60 and that thing was a performer all year. I’ve always been confident with wedges though so the edge went to the putter. The 60 was sooooooo good though that I recently got a 56 for no other reason than it was on sale and they are fantastic clubs.

Probably a longer answer than what was intended but I just liked a bunch of stuff lol

Last edited:
triple track marxman. i'm not making every putt i look at, but i feel like as long as my read is decent, i have the best chance i've ever had to make more putts.
I had a nice session at PGATSS with the Marxman TT! If they make the Marxman S with TT, I will most likely buy it!

Kinda hard for me to narrow that down because I still have them all in my bag. :cool:
Two stand out to me though:
1- The SZ 3 and 5w's are just amazing fairways.
2- My Toulon Chicago is the best putter I have ever rolled.
You and @radiman are the reason I now have two SZ fairways in the bag. That's right. You're both responsible.

You probably realize this. But, I would make sure you mention that to your fitter. They want you to get the most out of your time with them. I never had a true fitting before the event aside from one driver shaft fitting that saw me getting the best results with the shaft I already had. So, I was kind of a blank slate. The time is pretty limited. So, just ensure you communicate with the fitter. They're amazing at what they do and should be able to dial you in pretty quickly.

I had talked to someone about this very point! I know I am going to be in an SZ with the lowest loft and hope to get a green dot tip and the lowest launching and spinning shaft so that will cut out a lot of time searching for a driver. The main focus is going to be 3 & 5 wood, hybrid or utility iron!

You and @radiman are the reason I now have two SZ fairways in the bag. That's right. You're both responsible.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am not sure I would go back to ever playing a 3 wood. I'd probably start more Dr/4 or 5 wood/hybrid model. We'll have to wait nad see where i end up. :)

Can I say the Chicago that just came in yesterday? Cause I'd say the Chicago :love:.

In all seriousness, while I did a complete 2020 overhaul of my bag with all Callaway clubs, and I love all of them, I think the SuperHybrid is my MVP.
It completely replaced my Mavrik 3 wood, as it is so versatile off the tee or the fairway. It was the single primary factor behind me winning my flight in the club championship, hitting just over 70% fairways that weekend (and ZERO OB), at a time when I struggled so severely off the tee that I didn't even have the driver in the bag. From a pure performance standpoint, I'm not sure I have ever had a club that was such a difference maker. It is firmly in the bag for the 2021 season.

Currently for me it is the 2020 CSX ball. I was not in the market for a new ball but got some to try out and my recent experiences with it are very good. I do anticipate trying out a PM grind wedge in the near future as that's one thing I haven't tried yet.

That is such a tough question for me... My favorites are my Mavrik driver, Max 3+, TTTen, and the CSX ball. If I had to choose just one, I’ll probably go Mavrik driver. The feel/sound and shape are superb.

I don't remember reaching into your wallet and throwing down your credit card :ROFLMAO:

We helped you see the light. You made the choice all on your own :cool:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am not sure I would go back to ever playing a 3 wood. I'd probably start more Dr/4 or 5 wood/hybrid model. We'll have to wait nad see where i end up. :)
I think if you tried the Mavrik SZ you would like it, they launch easy with penetrating trajectories.

For me it’s the driver. Never been so accurate off the tee. I’m definitely gaming it in 2021!

second are the mb irons Just love the way they perform for me.

I still have my old (sarcasm) 2018 GD gear in my bag but I demo'd just about all of the new stuff and the winner for me was the Big Bertha driver.

Last edited:
I think if you tried the Mavrik SZ you would like it, they launch easy with penetrating trajectories.

Its less about launch and hitability and more about distance gapping and on course usage. When I used to run a 3wood I found I barely hit it. On most par 4's, its a driver/iron play. For par 5's, driver/long iron or driver/5wood is usually more than enough. When I looked at bag makeup and configuration, decided more wedges would more of a beneficial impact my score than carrying the 3 wood.

It does put more pressure on the driver to be accurate but thats the goal, right? :)

Its less about launch and hitability and more about distance gapping and on course usage. When I used to run a 3wood I found I barely hit it. On most par 4's, its a driver/iron play. For par 5's, driver/long iron or driver/5wood is usually more than enough. When I looked at bag makeup and configuration, decided more wedges would more of a beneficial impact my score than carrying the 3 wood.
I rarely. And I mean rarely hit a 3 wood off the turf. Usually only if I am terribly out of position off the tee and there is an extremely low risk scenario should I stray too far left. Almost every hole I play that I could use it to go after a green is well protected and it's not worth the risk to me. It is almost primarily a second tee club for me. I use it to get over trees on some dog legs or on par 4's where driver can be too long and get me into trouble.

But, that is what makes sense for me and my game. If it's not something that seems to fit in your bag or the courses you play, it makes sense to go 5 wood. Or, if you were looking to squeak out a few extra yards, maybe consider a 4 wood.

But, that is what makes sense for me and my game. If it's not something that seems to fit in your bag or the courses you play, it makes sense to go 5 wood. Or, if you were looking to squeak out a few extra yards, maybe consider a 4 wood.

That's pretty much where I am now. Cobra SZ 5wood turned down to 17 degrees from 18.5 to act more like a 4wood and then a 3hybrid at 19 degrees to gap between that 5wood and my 4 iron.

Don't get me wrong. Given the right lower end of the bag, I might fill the top side with some sweet sweet jailbreak tech. 😁

Back