LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2020 Morgan Cup Sponsored by Cobra Golf

Saturday Alt Shot.

I got to play Alt shot with @jdtox @Parrot @e1iterate . It was a great foursome to get out with. They are all fantastic guys. I was lucky and got to play with Captain and Ass Captain in the same day! The match was pretty close throughout the day. We got a one up lead on them and never really gave it up. They had a couple drives that we couldn't find their ball ( it should have been found) that hurt them on a couple holes.

I let Jeremy hit from the tee more than me. We felt he had more confidence on the tee than I did. I felt like my short game and putting was in a good place after the shamble 18. I think it paid off. We had to wait a little bit before teeing off on hole 7. As @Parrot said we had conversations that make THP a special place and all the people that are in the community. Talking and chatting with internet strangers (until we met) would be something hard to understand until you are at a THP event.
Before we started Alt Shot Jeremy pounded a couple beers. Can't remember how many but he was ready and loose for the match!

Holes 1-7 good shots and bad shots!

Hole 8- 376 yard par 4. We were one up. I hit a good drive for us in the fairway and Jeremy stuck it close, probably 3 feet. Hackers were popping on this hole and their 3rd shot left them off the green in the rough sitting on the bunker. Jeremy and I were sitting pretty looking to go 2 and 1 and get a point for Paradise. Then @e1iterate did the unthinkable. He holed out to go par net birdie. I honestly thought when he hit it it was going to hit the ball marker on the green and miss. It didn't and he let out a triumphant scream! We had to regroup and sink this birdie putt or we would be AS (tied) going to 9. The 3 footer looked a little longer than it did before. Luckily it was pretty straight. I was able to sink the putt to halve the hole and move to 9 with a 1 up lead.

Hole 9- 337 yard par 4. All we had to do was halve the hole to get a point for Paradise. Jeremy hit a gem right in the middle of the fairway. Green was slightly elevated and protected by a bunker in the front. I had 56 yards to the pin. All I thought was don't hit it in the bunker. Thankfully it found the green and we were able to two putt to secure the point. I wish we could have played all 18 because that format was awesome. The back nine could have eaten us up though.

Again it was great playing with @e1iterate and @Parrot . I got to play 27 holes with Mike.

I was a fan of Cobra drivers before joining THP and following my 1st MC in 2019. Now I am a huge fan of all things Cobra. Recently picked up the new Speedzone driver, and have loved nearly all the 2020 releases. My highest want is the King Forged Tecs, maybe even in the OL variety, and I hope one day to have the opportunity to add more Cobra to my bag. I liked Cobra before, but the investment in their brand shines so bright in my eyes. Jose and Yagley, and the entire MC experience only solidifies how I feel about Cobra. So my question, for those who played and for those who followed:

After the Morgan Cup, how has your view of Cobra golf changed? Is their one thing you learned, read, saw, that makes Cobra jump out above other brands?

Someone once told me, brands are people.

The people behind Cobra/Puma are excellent. That belief is unwavering, after the experience this year, it was just reinforced

I was a fan of Cobra drivers before joining THP and following my 1st MC in 2019. Now I am a huge fan of all things Cobra. Recently picked up the new Speedzone driver, and have loved nearly all the 2020 releases. My highest want is the King Forged Tecs, maybe even in the OL variety, and I hope one day to have the opportunity to add more Cobra to my bag. I liked Cobra before, but the investment in their brand shines so bright in my eyes. Jose and Yagley, and the entire MC experience only solidifies how I feel about Cobra. So my question, for those who played and for those who followed:

After the Morgan Cup, how has your view of Cobra golf changed? Is their one thing you learned, read, saw, that makes Cobra jump out above other brands?

I don't have enough Cobra clubs in my bag to make an informed decision. :rolleyes:. Seriously though, the Cobra equipment is outstanding. I only wish I had a better, more consistent swing to take full advantage of what the clubs offer. I hit a higher % of GIR this year and I hit a few 5w shots much longer than I thought possible for me. And with the T-Rails, I hit my irons higher and straighter.

Maybe not just one thing. I've always been a huge fan of the Puma side of CPG, but have always been a bit ignorant about the equipment side. Might be any number of factors primary of which is likely exposure. I don't think there is anywhere in town I can go hit Cobra clubs (this goes for several other brands as well) currently. My (unwarranted) perception was they were more worried about being "cool" than being high performance. I could not have been more wrong with what has been talked about and discussed these past two months, and what will be coming soon ;). Obviously, Yags and even Jose are an incredible face to put forth in representing this company. But even more so, the fact that the company went forward with the Morgan Cup this year, when no one would have blamed them to cancel it completely, says so much about what the company stands for.
Equipment-wise, the forged tecs are so far ahead of anything I've played and tried prior, it's kinda reset my entire performance perception as well.
As long as they keep doing what they are now, they've got an ambassador for life.

I very much agree with this. Prior to the MC, I hadn't hit a Cobra club since the mid to late 90s when I had that driver that everyone seemed to have.

1603289301859.png

I switched to a 975D shortly after it came out and don't remember ever really having any other exposure to Cobra at the clubs I played. They were either a Titleist or Taylormade shop so that is what I gravitated to. I wasn't the golf nerd I've become since joining THP.

Although Rickie hasn't won as much as he probably should have, he gave Cobra and Puma great exposure with the equipment that really put him up another level performance wise that I didn't expect someone his size to have. Add Bryson to the mix and you have Cobra as a company constantly pushing the edges of technology to maximize performance. The new King Tour MIM irons are a great example of that.

As I followed prior MCs, I became more interested. Puma was first when I bought the PWRADPTs on several recs here. Despite the spike pod problem, they are still the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Puma exceed my expectations with its customer service in not only replacing the first pair but replacing the replacement with the PROADPT. It's a stellar shoe, too. The Ignite Caged raised the bar from there. Superlative comfort and support.

Puma clothing is beyond anything I could imagine. Great fit and feel. The Jackpot shorts are the best I have. Cloudspun takes shirts and pullovers are simply amazing.

I tried Cobra equipment at 2 fittings. I never quite got there with the irons though. But the Forged Tecs and MIM wedges I received for the Morgan Cup also exceeded my expectations, I have been extremely impressed with not only the distance I have been able to get with each club but with the high degree of feel each offers. That impresses me more than the distance. The driver, woods and hybrids perform very well. The 3W and the hybrids are absolute rocket launchers. I can't wait to get my hands on the new releases - the King Tour MIMs and the other clubs you'll be hearing about. The advances Cobra is making are phenomenal.

As Cody mentioned, insisting that MC be held this year shows an enormous commitment and respect to THP and its members. Taking the extra time everyone had with the equipment this year and using that for next year to allow the players to provide greater feedback and get help from Cobra to really fine tune the equipment to perform at the highest level demonstrates that @Master Yagley, @LittleRat, Rachel and the rest of the Cobra Puma team are absolutely committed to making the MC a premier experience for us to feel like pros over an extended period of time. I was blown away by Yags, Jose and Rachel this year. They made us feel like lifelong friends. I have no doubt I could reach out to Yags or Jose to figure out an equipment or swing issue tomorrow or next year and they would help and it would seem like we never missed a beat. The people make the MC, the equipment is a gravy. Whoever is selected next year, hold on, they're going to blow your mind.

They are exceptional people who have my utmost respect and another ambassador to preach their greatness.

I very much agree with this. Prior to the MC, I hadn't hit a Cobra club since the mid to late 90s when I had that driver that everyone seemed to have.

View attachment 8970352

I switched to a 975D shortly after it came out and don't remember ever really having any other exposure to Cobra at the clubs I played. They were either a Titleist or Taylormade shop so that is what I gravitated to. I wasn't the golf nerd I've become since joining THP.

Although Rickie hasn't won as much as he probably should have, he gave Cobra and Puma great exposure with the equipment that really put him up another level performance wise that I didn't expect someone his size to have. Add Bryson to the mix and you have Cobra as a company constantly pushing the edges of technology to maximize performance. The new King Tour MIM irons are a great example of that.

As I followed prior MCs, I became more interested. Puma was first when I bought the PWRADPTs on several recs here. Despite the spike pod problem, they are still the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Puma exceed my expectations with its customer service in not only replacing the first pair but replacing the replacement with the PROADPT. It's a stellar shoe, too. The Ignite Caged raised the bar from there. Superlative comfort and support.

Puma clothing is beyond anything I could imagine. Great fit and feel. The Jackpot shorts are the best I have. Cloudspun takes shirts and pullovers are simply amazing.

I tried Cobra equipment at 2 fittings. I never quite got there with the irons though. But the Forged Tecs and MIM wedges I received for the Morgan Cup also exceeded my expectations, I have been extremely impressed with not only the distance I have been able to get with each club but with the high degree of feel each offers. That impresses me more than the distance. The driver, woods and hybrids perform very well. The 3W and the hybrids are absolute rocket launchers. I can't wait to get my hands on the new releases - the King Tour MIMs and the other clubs you'll be hearing about. The advances Cobra is making are phenomenal.

As Cody mentioned, insisting that MC be held this year shows an enormous commitment and respect to THP and its members. Taking the extra time everyone had with the equipment this year and using that for next year to allow the players to provide greater feedback and get help from Cobra to really fine tune the equipment to perform at the highest level demonstrates that @Master Yagley, @LittleRat, Rachel and the rest of the Cobra Puma team are absolutely committed to making the MC a premier experience for us to feel like pros over an extended period of time. I was blown away by Yags, Jose and Rachel this year. They made us feel like lifelong friends. I have no doubt I could reach out to Yags or Jose to figure out an equipment or swing issue tomorrow or next year and they would help and it would seem like we never missed a beat. The people make the MC, the equipment is a gravy. Whoever is selected next year, hold on, they're going to blow your mind.

They are exceptional people who have my utmost respect and another ambassador to preach their greatness.
Great stuff! I hope to meet and interact with such amazing people one day. Love all this talk, and smileys, about minds being blown for next year... my imagination is running wild!

Sunday Singles:

It was my pleasure to play singles against with @H8tobogie . Rounding out the foursome was @maxw72 and @vdubtx . This was a great group of guys to spend 18 with. Golf was fun but chatting and playing with them was better. I didn't have my best stuff Sunday and Dade was playing well. Felt like I was always down and pressing and couldn't find a groove. I was able to push him to 17 and at that point we had won the cup. He was 2 up with 17 and 18 to play and deserved the point. If Cobra ever needs a model or stand in for Bryson Dade is the guy. Like numerous people have said he is a fit guy but even better person. Very genuine and wanted to get to know everyone. Also enjoyed the Bourbon (maybe not the strong stuff)!

Max and Tony played a great match. They may have been the high caps, but that wont last long. Both of their games look good and should be really fun to watch the golf journey they go on! They both were fantastic to watch and play with. Good shot or bad shot always smiling and having a great time. With all the gear and great people who couldn't have fun.
Thanks again guys for a great Sunday match play. If the cart girl was faster we wouldn't have been behind pace!:LOL:

After the Morgan Cup, my view of Cobra Golf has not only been validated, but elevated. The access we had to Jose for any and all questions that Team Paradise presented to him was invaluable. Submitting swing videos and getting some virtual instruction from Jose was awesome. But then, when at The Morgan Cup, getting a lesson from Jose on my driver was a light bulb moment for me. Something so simple and so easy to do in my swing, changed the trajectory of my ball flight. Jose just breaks it down into such an easy to understand way.

Not only the access we had to just Jose, but the access we had to Yags at the cup was incredible as well. Such a cool and nice guy. The post Morgan Cup discussion we had with Jose and Yags was just 🤯 so very cool!!

Cobra/Puma will always be a part of my golf game for a very long time!

Sunday Singles:

It was my pleasure to play singles against with @H8tobogie . Rounding out the foursome was @maxw72 and @vdubtx . This was a great group of guys to spend 18 with. Golf was fun but chatting and playing with them was better. I didn't have my best stuff Sunday and Dade was playing well. Felt like I was always down and pressing and couldn't find a groove. I was able to push him to 17 and at that point we had won the cup. He was 2 up with 17 and 18 to play and deserved the point. If Cobra ever needs a model or stand in for Bryson Dade is the guy. Like numerous people have said he is a fit guy but even better person. Very genuine and wanted to get to know everyone. Also enjoyed the Bourbon (maybe not the strong stuff)!

Max and Tony played a great match. They may have been the high caps, but that wont last long. Both of their games look good and should be really fun to watch the golf journey they go on! They both were fantastic to watch and play with. Good shot or bad shot always smiling and having a great time. With all the gear and great people who couldn't have fun.
Thanks again guys for a great Sunday match play. If the cart girl was faster we wouldn't have been behind pace!:LOL:
It was an absolute pleasure to play a round with you and @vdubtx @H8tobogie . I hope we get another round for a Morgan Cup 2020 reunion

Sunday Singles:

Thanks, buddy. You were a pleasure to play with. Agree - the only issue we ran into that day was the cart girl! Not the numerous balls in the desert :)

Also, to build on what you said - @maxw72 and @vdubtx will both be GREAT golfers and watching their games evolve will be fun! I would love to tee it up with any of you guys anytime!

Just finished all 108 pages...fantastic and LOVE the recaps after the event. Amazing how you can have different people, courses, formats, and even pandemics, yet year-to-year the recaps are so similar. It's tough to describe, but it definitely makes me feel all warm inside thinking back to it (and following along this year brought that feeling back!).

The Morgan Cup is the real deal - so excited all of you got to experience such and incredible and unforgettable event!

Saturday Alt Shot.

I got to play Alt shot with @jdtox @Parrot @e1iterate . It was a great foursome to get out with. They are all fantastic guys. I was lucky and got to play with Captain and Ass Captain in the same day! The match was pretty close throughout the day. We got a one up lead on them and never really gave it up. They had a couple drives that we couldn't find their ball ( it should have been found) that hurt them on a couple holes.

I let Jeremy hit from the tee more than me. We felt he had more confidence on the tee than I did. I felt like my short game and putting was in a good place after the shamble 18. I think it paid off. We had to wait a little bit before teeing off on hole 7. As @Parrot said we had conversations that make THP a special place and all the people that are in the community. Talking and chatting with internet strangers (until we met) would be something hard to understand until you are at a THP event.
Before we started Alt Shot Jeremy pounded a couple beers. Can't remember how many but he was ready and loose for the match!

Holes 1-7 good shots and bad shots!

Hole 8- 376 yard par 4. We were one up. I hit a good drive for us in the fairway and Jeremy stuck it close, probably 3 feet. Hackers were popping on this hole and their 3rd shot left them off the green in the rough sitting on the bunker. Jeremy and I were sitting pretty looking to go 2 and 1 and get a point for Paradise. Then @e1iterate did the unthinkable. He holed out to go par net birdie. I honestly thought when he hit it it was going to hit the ball marker on the green and miss. It didn't and he let out a triumphant scream! We had to regroup and sink this birdie putt or we would be AS (tied) going to 9. The 3 footer looked a little longer than it did before. Luckily it was pretty straight. I was able to sink the putt to halve the hole and move to 9 with a 1 up lead.

Hole 9- 337 yard par 4. All we had to do was halve the hole to get a point for Paradise. Jeremy hit a gem right in the middle of the fairway. Green was slightly elevated and protected by a bunker in the front. I had 56 yards to the pin. All I thought was don't hit it in the bunker. Thankfully it found the green and we were able to two putt to secure the point. I wish we could have played all 18 because that format was awesome. The back nine could have eaten us up though.

Again it was great playing with @e1iterate and @Parrot . I got to play 27 holes with Mike.

You didn't have to make that putt! :LOL: It was a great pleasure to share that round with y'all. 👊

Once you get to know @LittleRat & @Master Yagley on a personal level and see what fabulous people they are, on top of their knowledge, hard work and love they have for the Cobra brand, it's nearly impossible for that not to rub off on you. I will forever be a person who supports Cobra/Puma Golf mainly because I know these two & Rachel are behind them. Not to mention, the clubs & apparel are AMAZING!!!

Last edited:
Once you get to know @LittleRat & @Master Yagley on a personal level and see what fabulous people they are, on top of their hard work and love they have for Cobra clubs it's nearly impossible for that not to rub off on you. I will forever be a person who supports Cobra/Puma Golf mainly because I know these two are behind them. Not to mention, the clubs are AMAZING!!!

Agreed! Well said.

Before MC, I barely looked at Cobra equipment. I briefly looked at the F9 OL clubs in March 2019, but bought Callaway instead. I didn’t like Puma before MC because it seemed (at physical stores) that they didn’t cater to my sizes. I did see the press and talk on Forged Tec when they came out and was again interested in Cobra, but not “run out and buy” interested.

After MC, I don’t know if I will ever use other equipment due to my affinity for One Length and the Cobra people. Callaway had my business before the event because of brand recognition; just listening and watching their podcasts made me feel like I knew Callaway people. But that is nothing like the connection I now have with Cobra. Their commitment to one length is solid and before MC I wondered if it was just a fad.

I spent 9 months in team group chat with Jose. I consider him a friend that I will call and try to have a beer with next time in San Diego. Of course that will influence my golf equipment decisions in the future. If I had struggled with the equipment, I honestly would still be a Cobra fan because of the people, but the fact that my hcp went down after switching to Cobra obviously adds to my enthusiasm for their products. I am not sure there is more that I can ask from equipment than it help me improve and not hinder my game?

I love the Puma gear I have. I admit I get perturbed when I see that none of their limited edition shoes are available in my size, but they have plenty of shorts/shirts that fit and are super comfy and they have more than enough shoes available in wide that are fantastic.

Sunday Singles:

Can't wait to tee it up again with you 👊
We will make that happen sooner than later since we are so close and each have family in OK and TX.

Before MC, I barely looked at Cobra equipment. I briefly looked at the F9 OL clubs in March 2019, but bought Callaway instead. I didn’t like Puma before MC because it seemed (at physical stores) that they didn’t cater to my sizes. I did see the press and talk on Forged Tec when they came out and was again interested in Cobra, but not “run out and buy” interested.

After MC, I don’t know if I will ever use other equipment due to my affinity for One Length and the Cobra people. Callaway had my business before the event because of brand recognition; just listening and watching their podcasts made me feel like I knew Callaway people. But that is nothing like the connection I now have with Cobra. Their commitment to one length is solid and before MC I wondered if it was just a fad.

I spent 9 months in team group chat with Jose. I consider him a friend that I will call and try to have a beer with next time in San Diego. Of course that will influence my golf equipment decisions in the future. If I had struggled with the equipment, I honestly would still be a Cobra fan because of the people, but the fact that my hcp went down after switching to Cobra obviously adds to my enthusiasm for their products. I am not sure there is more that I can ask from equipment than it help me improve and not hinder my game?

I love the Puma gear I have. I admit I get perturbed when I see that none of their limited edition shoes are available in my size, but they have plenty of shorts/shirts that fit and are super comfy and they have more than enough shoes available in wide that are fantastic.
@oumagic I'm right there with you. I'd never given Cobra a look before the Morgan Cup. I was a Callaway guy through and through. I even figured that if I didn't like the clubs I'd only have them 2 months before the Cup and I could sell them. Well, here comes covid and the Cup gets postponed. I was thinking, maybe I should switch back to my Callaway clubs and pick these back up when and if the Cup gets rescheduled. But I fell in love with the Forged Tec irons and the SZ hybrid. I also loved the arccos stats I was getting back. So I kept playing and kept playing the clubs. I played them the entire season now and they are still in the bag. Yes, I struggle off the tee, but I always have no matter the brand. But my iron play has been great this whole season and I attribute that to the Forged Tec irons. After I got home from the Cup and a friend offered me money for my Apex Pro irons I'd been holding onto all season. I thought why not?! At this point I'm NOT going back to them, so they are now sold. Forged Tec in the bag for the foreseeable future. Thank you THP, Cobra, and @LittleRat. It's been a journey, and I'm staying on this train.

Last edited:
Can't wait to tee it up again with you 👊
We will make that happen sooner than later since we are so close and each have family in OK and TX.
Golf and Bowling!

Man what a time. That month or so from being a replacement pick to picking out clubs, to bonding with teammates was crazy. I can’t say it enough how bummed I am that other people weren’t able to follow through with the experience this year. I wasn’t sure how the long-term remaining team was going to accept us or if they already had their own thing going. But we sure hit the ground running. Sooooooooooooo many equipment questions in those first two days. The guys and @Master Yagley were awesome to deal with us at that point. Ha. One of my few regrets looking back is I think I should have gone one length, there was never a better time to try, but i chickened out.

Lead up to the event was more of the same. I still have to laugh how much the eggplant got some people riled up. It was just a small thing that we leaned into more and more as people got flustered. There were some pretty intense plans including eggplant sight dots on the putters, I think Jake wanted a golden eggplant birdie chain a-la the miami hurricane turnover chair. In the end cooler minds prevailed.

Obligatory but necessary shout out to JB and Morgan. What an awesome place yall have build and this weekend is just another testament to this. I’ve mentioned it at other times but the fact Yags, Jose, Rachel and anyone else at CPG puts this on is incredible.

PXL_20201008_231421778.jpg

Friday morning we hit the ground running with the practice round. Meeting up with teammates that I have know basically by text message for a month and just hit the ground running. Ran into the Master at about 7am in the proshop still half asleep and looking for coffee. Dude was already hyped up for the day, ha. He was on point from the word go all weekend without fail. I had my ups and downs... Even after my incessant whining and tinkering, this guy still brought a shaft with him from California for me to put into play for the first time friday. Cartnered with @maxw72 that morning and dude is awesome. Made everyone some ball displays that has already made it’s way to my office. That first tee tho...haha, we’ve all been there. You took it in stride and were hitting some amazing shots by the end of the day. Bummer we didn’t get to tee it up another day.

PXL_20201009_155110040.jpg

PXL_20201009_190547560.PANO.jpg

PXL_20201020_224541501.jpg

Friday night dinner. CPG took care of us with the swag no doubt. Everyone has seen it so no need to rehash. TPC Las Vegas was a great and tolerant host for all of us as we made claim to the patio for most of the weekend. Spent the majority of friday night trying to take the tags off of all the new Puma gear…..i digress.

PXL_20201010_011130160.jpg

Saturday morning.

PXL_20201009_121401516.jpg

@e1iterate kept me company at breakfast along with either the happiest 5AM restaurant server ever or one that partook in some nose candy before their shift. But there was coffee. Sweet coffee.

Shamble: Yags and I vs @KY Golfer and @oumagic . I had some prior knowledge of our opponents so I was expecting a dog fight. My mental plan was to let Yags stripe one and then I try to bomb over the top with my 24hr old driver. So of course Yags was like, “I want you to lead off”. Sweet. This is only my second THP event but man the nerves on the first tee are still so real. Watching the live feed back, that was the shortest driver swing I have ever taken in my life, lol. But got it over the bunker right and we actually played it. Yags par as I settle down a bit. Yags put it to maybe 15 feet #2, and for some reason I popped on #2. Ive never wanted to make a putt so bad to I could post “1” in a score update, but, in a trend that would continue all weekend, I missed, but carded the 3/2 to go 2up. #3 we played the wrong tee which led to an awesome picture and a very long hole, but hit my second best drive of the weekend. 7i to about 10 feet and already mentally mark another hole won. OU/KY managed to punch out from a canyon to 85 yards and KY lands it 10 feet in front of the hole and it falls. Lol, crazy shot as I’m standing there. Cant make the natural birdie pop 2 and tie the hole. Best drive of the weekend on #4 leaving 200ish in. KY/Yags tie with natural birdies. #5 yoinked a 2 footer to win hole with a pop, tie. #6, Yags about 6-8 feet away lying 3, OU 40+ feet away on a different tier lying 3 staring at a 3 putt, nails the pin center and falls. Me and Yags just look at each other in disbelief, we’ve got 4 birdies in 6 holes and still can’t pull away. Yags calmly walks up and drains it, which I wish i could do. #7, 4 pars. But again I think it was yags that left a 30 footer about 2 inches from the hole and one of the paradise guys made a 8 foot tester for their par. I was pretty worried at this point with how well we were playing but still not separating. If I could play every round with Yags I would be so much better, so calming and confident. I wish I had the golf confidence in myself that he pretended to have in me, ha. We barely missed a shot the next several holes and never at the same time. I put a pitch to 3 inches, yags another natural birdie on a par 3 and I finished with an 80 yard wedge to 3 feet to end with a natural birdie. Looking back, I need to figure out how to transfer some of those good vibes to my other rounds as I didn’t play as well the rest of the weekend. OU I think got the double dose of the Yags bubble-effect that afternoon.

PXL_20201010_162843186.jpg

Alt Shot: @H8tobogie and I had played once before and really have similar games, with me being the more muscular and in shape of us two. I thought we were in a pretty good place for alt shot despite a tough draw in @LittleRat and @ToddJ027b . Our strategy session was terrible, lol, we totally over thought everything and I made the decision to do approaches and let Dade take big tee shots, which is something I should never agree to do. First two holes were a train wreck. My Yagic from this morning was gone and I was back to pulling my approach shots, I didn’t give us a chance on 1 and 2. We scraped a par on #3 after another pulled approach to at least give a glimmer of hope. Then, my biggest regret all weekend, I tried to play the match rather than the hole. We had a pop, it’s a huge par 5 that I’ve nailed a couple drives on and I talk myself into a 4i. And put it in the ****. We limp to a 8/7 i think and lose a hole to a bogey. We made a push but gave up the match with that tee shot. We did loosen up after that and play our game, which led to a comeback. I think we would have kept it going in an 18 hole match but giving away 3 holes in a 9 hole match is tough. Down 3 with 4 left, we made a solid net birdie on the other par 5. Made a par on #7 and really felt good as Jose has a tough 15 footer to tie. Dude stood over that putt forever, but drained it. Yeesh, dormie. I think we popped on 8 and got another back. 9 was a pretty annoying hole all week and drive was just right off the grass but leaning on some rather large pebbles. 117 out with a huge bunker in front. I think jose/todd was fairway right. Dade looks right at me and said you put that **** on the green and I’m going to make the putt. (I might have embellished the vulgarities a bit, but I felt it). I watched his clutch shot on 18 this morning, so I didn’t doubt him. Alright, thoonk. Desert club took some damage but somehow cleared the front bunker by a couple feet. 25 footer uphill double breaking, I didn’t leave him in a great spot. Shame the putt didn’t fall because that would have made a great story.

PXL_20201014_031133816.jpg

Saturday night: Rest of the night is kinda blurry, and i solely blame arizona whiskey. Great night with some good dudes.

PXL_20201011_012338096.PANO.jpg

Last edited:
Similar to others Cobra/Puma have never really been on my radar. I'm not really sure how I became a TM guy but I did somewhere along the way and was for many years until really this year where I started thinking about a new set of irons and TM wasn't really on the list. Of course some of this is also related to the fact that I replace equipment pretty rarely by THP standards :p

Man what a time. That month or so from being a replacement pick to picking out clubs, to bonding with teammates was crazy. I can’t say it enough how bummed I am that other people weren’t able to follow through with the experience this year. I wasn’t sure how the long-term remaining team was going to accept us or if they already had their own thing going. But we sure hit the ground running. Sooooooooooooo many equipment questions in those first two days. The guys and @Master Yagley were awesome to deal with us at that point. Ha. One of my few regrets looking back is I think I should have gone one length, there was never a better time to try, but i chickened out.

Lead up to the event was more of the same. I still have to laugh how much the eggplant got some people riled up. It was just a small thing that we leaned into more and more as people got flustered. There were some pretty intense plans including eggplant sight dots on the putters, I think Jake wanted a golden eggplant birdie chain a-la the miami hurricane turnover chair. In the end cooler minds prevailed.

Obligatory but necessary shout out to JB and Morgan. What an awesome place yall have build and this weekend is just another testament to this. I’ve mentioned it at other times but the fact Yags, Jose, Rachel and anyone else at CPG puts this on is incredible.

View attachment 8970399

Friday morning we hit the ground running with the practice round. Meeting up with teammates that I have know basically by text message for a month and just hit the ground running. Ran into the Master at about 7am in the proshop still half asleep and looking for coffee. Dude was already hyped up for the day, ha. He was on point from the word go all weekend without fail. I had my ups and downs... Even after my incessant whining and tinkering, this guy still brought a shaft with him from California for me to put into play for the first time friday. Cartnered with @maxw72 that morning and dude is awesome. Made everyone some ball displays that has already made it’s way to my office. That first tee tho...haha, we’ve all been there. You took it in stride and were hitting some amazing shots by the end of the day. Bummer we didn’t get to tee it up another day.

View attachment 8970400

View attachment 8970401

View attachment 8970402

Friday night dinner. CPG took care of us with the swag no doubt. Everyone has seen it so no need to rehash. TPC Las Vegas was a great and tolerant host for all of us as we made claim to the patio for most of the weekend. Spent the majority of friday night trying to take the tags off of all the new Puma gear…..i digress.

View attachment 8970405

Saturday morning.

View attachment 8970406

@e1iterate kept me company at breakfast along with either the happiest 5AM restaurant server ever or one that partook in some nose candy before their shift. But there was coffee. Sweet coffee.

Shamble: Yags and I vs @KY Golfer and @oumagic . I had some prior knowledge of our opponents so I was expecting a dog fight. My mental plan was to let Yags stripe one and then I try to bomb over the top with my 24hr old driver. So of course Yags was like, “I want you to lead off”. Sweet. This is only my second THP event but man the nerves on the first tee are still so real. Watching the live feed back, that was the shortest driver swing I have ever taken in my life, lol. But got it over the bunker right and we actually played it. Yags par as I settle down a bit. Yags put it to maybe 15 feet #2, and for some reason I popped on #2. Ive never wanted to make a putt so bad to I could post “1” in a score update, but, in a trend that would continue all weekend, I missed, but carded the 3/2 to go 2up. #3 we played the wrong tee which led to an awesome picture and a very long hole, but hit my second best drive of the weekend. 7i to about 10 feet and already mentally mark another hole won. OU/KY managed to punch out from a canyon to 85 yards and KY lands it 10 feet in front of the hole and it falls. Lol, crazy shot as I’m standing there. Cant make the natural birdie pop 2 and tie the hole. Best drive of the weekend on #4 leaving 200ish in. KY/Yags tie with natural birdies. #5 yoinked a 2 footer to win hole with a pop, tie. #6, Yags about 6-8 feet away lying 3, OU 40+ feet away on a different tier lying 3 staring at a 3 putt, nails the pin center and falls. Me and Yags just look at each other in disbelief, we’ve got 4 birdies in 6 holes and still can’t pull away. Yags calmly walks up and drains it, which I wish i could do. #7, 4 pars. But again I think it was yags that left a 30 footer about 2 inches from the hole and one of the paradise guys made a 8 foot tester for their par. I was pretty worried at this point with how well we were playing but still not separating. If I could play every round with Yags I would be so much better, so calming and confident. I wish I had the golf confidence in myself that he pretended to have in me, ha. We barely missed a shot the next several holes and never at the same time. I put a pitch to 3 inches, yags another natural birdie on a par 3 and I finished with an 80 yard wedge to 3 feet to end with a natural birdie. Looking back, I need to figure out how to transfer some of those good vibes to my other rounds as I didn’t play as well the rest of the weekend. OU I think got the double dose of the Yags bubble-effect that afternoon.

View attachment 8970407

Alt Shot: @H8tobogie and I had played once before and really have similar games, with me being the more muscular and in shape of us two. I thought we were in a pretty good place for alt shot despite a tough draw in @LittleRat and @ToddJ027b . Our strategy session was terrible, lol, we totally over thought everything and I made the decision to do approaches and let Dade take big tee shots, which is something I should never agree to do. First two holes were a train wreck. My Yagic from this morning was gone and I was back to pulling my approach shots, I didn’t give us a chance on 1 and 2. We scraped a par on #3 after another pulled approach to at least give a glimmer of hope. Then, my biggest regret all weekend, I tried to play the match rather than the hole. We had a pop, it’s a huge par 5 that I’ve nailed a couple drives on and I talk myself into a 4i. And put it in the ****. We limp to a 8/7 i think and lose a hole to a bogey. We made a push but gave up the match with that tee shot. We did loosen up after that and play our game, which led to a comeback. I think we would have kept it going in an 18 hole match but giving away 3 holes in a 9 hole match is tough. Down 3 with 4 left, we made a solid net birdie on the other par 5. Made a par on #7 and really felt good as Jose has a tough 15 footer to tie. Dude stood over that putt forever, but drained it. Yeesh, dormie. I think we popped on 8 and got another back. 9 was a pretty annoying hole all week and drive was just right off the grass but leaning on some rather large pebbles. 117 out with a huge bunker in front. I think jose/todd was fairway right. Dade looks right at me and said you put that **** on the green and I’m going to make the putt. (I might have embellished the vulgarities a bit, but I felt it). I watched his clutch shot on 18 this morning, so I didn’t doubt him. Alright, thoonk. Desert club took some damage but somehow cleared the front bunker by a couple feet. 25 footer uphill double breaking, I didn’t leave him in a great spot. Shame the putt didn’t fall because that would have made a great story.

View attachment 8970408

Saturday night: Rest of the night is kinda blurry, and i solely blame arizona whiskey. Great night with some good dudes.

View attachment 8970409

ok, part 2 in the next week or so.
Fantastic writeup and you nailed the alt-shot round - we overthought and started about as cold as we could have. I'm proud we made a run playing two of the hottest players on their team. Even getting to the last hole was an accomplishment after that start and that shot you hit on 9 is still one of the best of the week! Might have been the best had I made the putt! I remember saying you put this on, I am going to make the putt and then we are going to do shots on the patio! HAHA. You did your part!

Fantastic writeup and you nailed the alt-shot round - we overthought and started about as cold as we could have. I'm proud we made a run playing two of the hottest players on their team. Even getting to the last hole was an accomplishment after that start and that shot you hit on 9 is still one of the best of the week! Might have been the best had I made the putt! I remember saying you put this on, I am going to make the putt and then we are going to do shots on the patio! HAHA. You did your part!
That was it! Love it. So great going from Yags' motivation of calm, relax, believe in yourself and you will succeed -> make this and we're doing shots! Haha

That was it! Love it. So great going from Yags' motivation of calm, relax, believe in yourself and you will succeed -> make this and we're doing shots! Haha
To be fair, both methods seemed to work for you.

Last edited:
I played my first round of golf today since coming back from the Morgan Cup. I can't really put my finger on it but something felt different. Something was missing. :unsure:

I played my first round of golf today since coming back from the Morgan Cup. I can't really put my finger on it but something felt different. Something was missing. :unsure:
You didn’t have an anchor weighing you down? Sorry about that, partner ;)

P.S. you can say sorry two weeks after the event

Back