LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2020 Morgan Cup Sponsored by Cobra Golf

You didn’t have an anchor weighing you down? Sorry about that, partner ;)

P.S. you can say sorry two weeks after the event
You will get throat punched next time I see you :p!! You hit just as many good shots as I did and if we didn't hole out or make bombs we lost anyway :dohanim:

You will get throat punched next time I see you :p!! You hit just as many good shots as I did and if we didn't hole out or make bombs we lost anyway :dohanim:
That’s harsh. I can’t imagine anyone threatening teammates with a throat punch ;)

I played my first round of golf today since coming back from the Morgan Cup. I can't really put my finger on it but something felt different. Something was missing. :unsure:

🍆? 😂😂😂

Kidding obviously. I know what you mean. Still haven’t played since I got back.

I think I'm going to spend some time this evening going back through your guy's live update thread. Snow on the ground and my mood is bottoming out right now. Need some THP Event goodness to get my golf fix.

Was a great follow live and I've likely missed some stuff the first time around.

Saturday afternoon was capped off with the final alternate shot match, with @OITW and @Jmk202 up against @KY Golfer and me. This was my first go at the alt shot format, and it did not disappoint.

Alex and I took the tee on the odd holes; Chris and Jake had the evens. Playing from the white tees (2989 yds), our thinking was to put the big stick in Chris's hands on the par 5s. While that didn't work out quite the way we thought (ha!), the hidden benefit of this was that he'd also get a lot of approaches with his superior iron game. @Canadan mentioned his iron game later in the Sunday preview video, but he delivered the goods in alt shot for us. He hit 6/7 GIRs, although we had no realistic shot on #6.

Hole 1: fairway, green, and a ~12 ft birdie putt put us 1 up right out of the gate.

Drives
Hackers - Approach

Hole 2: you can relive the entire hole here. The wind was whipping, but that didn't stop Chris from putting us ~25 feet from the hole in the middle of the green. Alex had a lengthy putt and left about 10 ft for Jake that he had to make to tie, after one of my better putts of the weekend.

Hole 3: Hackers were getting their first pop here. Two good tee shots, but we had the advantage after the approaches, as Chris put us ~20-25 ft away again. Alex had a tough stance/shot; the ball just kept running and running away from the hole. Another good 2-putt for us, and all of a sudden we're 3 up.

Hackers - Tee
Hackers - Approach

Hole 4: So much for our tee strategy. Chris's tee ball was a little right, into the desert. Jake graciously helped us find the ball and may have laid eyes on it first, and he characterized our conversation pretty well. We obviously couldn't just pick it up and give them the hole, but going way back (and potentially to the tee) with a penalty was going to make it tough. I wasn't really thinking about dinging up a club, but it was clear what was going to happen once Chris matter-of-factly reminded me I had another one at home.

The lie wasn't bad, but there were some stones around it, and a small piece of brush on my preferred line. I think I may have caught it a little thin (that's a long 9i for me), but it started left of the brush and then started cutting. It looked real good, at least from where I was standing. This was my favorite shot of the weekend.

Chris had ~70 yds left, and put us inside 15 ft. I don't remember much of what the Hackers did on this hole, but I had a makeable putt to possibly go 4 up. I went for the jugular...and proceeded to run it by 5 feet. When Chris missed the come-backer, we were only 2 up. I got greedy and it cost us.

Leaving the green, I noticed my putt was more downhill than I realized. I have to improve my green-reading.

1603911080496.png

Tee
A.D. - after desert

Hole 5: We were close to being put on the clock on this tee. My tee shot started a little farther left than I'd like, but it cleared the bunker and let Chris stick another one close. I don't remember what else happened on this hole, but we won it to get back to 3 up.

Hole 6: Hackers were popping for the 2nd time here. It was not the best played hole of the round, on either side.

Chris's tee shot ended up toward the front of the last bunker on the left. There was enough room to get it out, but I managed to clip the lip, and may have advanced it 30 yards or so. Chris asked what I wanted to have left; I said just hit it as far as you can and we'll deal with it. I had about 60 yds left.

That led to my second favorite shot of the weekend. What Alex and Jake didn't know was that I had a similar shot earlier that day in the shamble, but from only 40 yds out. I proceeded to blast that one 15 yds over the green, so I felt pretty good about this one -- just hit the same shot!

It was nice little 9:00 SW that dropped down the stovepipe, landing about 2 feet right of the hole and ending ~5 feet away for a par to halve the hole. We couldn't convert, though.

stuffed
putt to tie

Hole 7: We were just off the green to the right; Hackers had a longer birdie putt. They had ~8 ft left for par, and Alex drained it. I had to channel my inner Cantlay to halve the hole for ~4 ft, and secure at least a half-point.

tee box short-arm selfie
putt to halve

Hole 8: Hackers got their last pop here. At some point, we heard some awful noise from the group ahead of us. I hope everyone was alright.

Chris placed the tee ball in a perfect spot in the fairway and at a perfect distance, but my approach was gross (short and right). It wouldn't have mattered, after Alex stuffed the approach for a gimme net eagle. Our lead was down to 1 up.

eagle has landed
gross "approach" shot

Hole 9: Alex yanked one left into the biggest piece of brush on the hole, so we just needed one in the fairway. The tees were up, where I considered 3W, but so was the wind, right in our face. With as good as I had driven the ball the last 2 days, there's just no way I was going to take my most important shot of this match with less than driver. It was a little lower than usual, but started off down the left side and faded back to the middle of the fairway -- just like they'd done all day. Chris had ~70 yds left.

I knew it was bad when Jake had to back into the brush to get a stance. I knew it was worse when Alex had to do similar for their 3rd shot. It's a shame the match was going to end like this.

Or was it?!? Jake got their 4th around the green, so there was still life. Chris, like a machine, got us on the green. Again. And, again, about 20-25 ft away. Alex had to hole a long chip to at least make us putt once, and darn if he didn't almost do it. It died right at the hole. A fantastic shot. They conceded our putt, and we took the match at 2 up.

A couple scores on the in-thread scoreboard were reversed, but we ended up shooting an even-par 36 to their 41/net 38. I didn't think I putted well at all this weekend, but going back through this round, I putted pretty well here (well, except for #4) -- best of the weekend for me, for sure.

It was an absolute pleasure to tee it up with these guys; really enjoyed it.

Singles still to come, whenever the inevitable power outage later tonight is restored...

Last edited:
Chris had ~70 yds left, and put us inside 15 ft. I don't remember much of what the Hackers did on this hole, but I had a makeable putt to possibly go 4 up. I went for the jugular...and proceeded to run it by 5 feet. When Chris missed the come-backer, we were only 2 up. I got greedy and it cost us.

Leaving the green, I noticed my putt was more downhill than I realized. I have to improve my green-reading.
For goodness sake, will you please quit beating yourself up about this putt. At worst it ran by 3ft, I think closer to 2ft. Either way the putt I missed should not have been missed.

Great write up. #DerbyDufferRedemption

Saturday afternoon was capped off with the final alternate shot match, with @OITW and @Jmk202 up against @KY Golfer and me. This was my first go at the alt shot format, and it did not disappoint.

Alex and I took the tee on the odd holes; Chris and Jake had the evens. Playing from the white tees (2989 yds), our thinking was to put the big stick in Chris's hands on the par 5s. While that didn't work out quite the way we thought (ha!), the hidden benefit of this was that he'd also get a lot of approaches with his superior iron game. @Canadan mentioned his iron game later in the Sunday preview video, but he delivered the goods in alt shot for us. He hit 6/7 GIRs, although we had no realistic shot on #6.

Hole 1: fairway, green, and a ~12 ft birdie putt put us 1 up right out of the gate.

Drives
Hackers - Approach

Hole 2: you can relive the entire hole here. The wind was whipping, but that didn't stop Chris from putting us ~25 feet from the hole in the middle of the green. Alex had a lengthy putt and left about 10 ft for Jake that he had to make to tie, after one of my better putts of the weekend.

Hole 3: Hackers were getting their first pop here. Two good tee shots, but we had the advantage after the approaches, as Chris put us ~20-25 ft away again. Alex had a tough stance/shot; the ball just kept running and running away from the hole. Another good 2-putt for us, and all of a sudden we're 3 up.

Hackers - Tee
Hackers - Approach

Hole 4: So much for our tee strategy. Chris's tee ball was a little right, into the desert. Jake graciously helped us find the ball and may have laid eyes on it first, and he characterized our conversation pretty well. We obviously couldn't just pick it up and give them the hole, but going way back (and potentially to the tee) with a penalty was going to make it tough. I wasn't really thinking about dinging up a club, but it was clear what was going to happen once Chris matter-of-factly reminded me I had another one at home.

The lie wasn't bad, but there were some stones around it, and a small piece of brush on my preferred line. I think I may have caught it a little thin (that's a long 9i for me), but it started left of the brush and then started cutting. It looked real good, at least from where I was standing. This was my favorite shot of the weekend.

View attachment 8971470

Tee
A.D. - after desert

Hole 5: We were close to being put on the clock on this tee. My tee shot started a little farther left than I'd like, but it cleared the bunker and let Chris stick another one close. I don't remember what else happened on this hole, but we won it to get back to 3 up.

Hole 6: Hackers were popping for the 2nd time here. It was not the best played hole of the round, on either side.

Chris's tee shot ended up toward the front of the last bunker on the left. There was enough room to get it out, but I managed to clip the lip, and may have advanced it 30 yards or so. Chris asked what I wanted to have left; I said just hit it as far as you can and we'll deal with it. I had about 60 yds left.

That led to my second favorite shot of the weekend. What Alex and Jake didn't know was that I had a similar shot earlier that day in the shamble, but from only 40 yds out. I proceeded to blast that one 15 yds over the green, so I felt pretty good about this one -- just hit the same shot!

It was nice little 9:00 SW that dropped down the stovepipe, landing about 2 feet right of the hole and ending ~5 feet away for a par to halve the hole. We couldn't convert

stuffed
putt to tie

Hole 7: We were just off the green to the right; Hackers had a longer birdie putt. They had ~8 ft left for par, and Alex drained it. I had to channel my inner Cantlay to halve the hole for ~4 ft, and secure at least a half-point.

tee box short-arm selfie
putt to halve

Hole 8: Hackers got their last pop here. At some point, we heard some awful noise from the group ahead of us. I hope everyone was alright.

Chris placed the tee ball in a perfect spot in the fairway and at a perfect distance, but my approach was gross (short and right). It wouldn't have mattered, after Alex stuffed the approach for a gimme net eagle. Our lead was down to 1 up.

eagle has landed
gross "approach" shot

Hole 9: Alex yanked one left into the biggest piece of brush on the hole, so we just needed one in the fairway. The tees were up, where I considered 3W, but so was the wind, right in our face. With as good as I had driven the ball the last 2 days, there's just no way I was going to take my most important shot of this match with less than driver. It was a little lower than usual, but started off down the left side and faded back to the middle of the fairway -- just like they'd done all day. Chris had ~70 yds left.

I knew it was bad when Jake had to back into the brush to get a stance. I knew it was worse when Alex had to do similar for their 3rd shot. It's a shame the match was going to end like this.

Or was it?!? Jake got their 4th around the green, so there was still life. Chris, like a machine, got us on the green. Again. And, again, about 20-25 ft away. Alex had to hole a long chip to at least make us putt once, and darn if he didn't almost do it. It died right at the hole. A fantastic shot. They conceded our putt, and we took the match at 2 up.

A couple scores on the in-thread scoreboard were reversed, but we ended up shooting an even-par 36 to their 41/net 38. I didn't think I putted well at all this weekend, but going back through this round, I putted pretty well here (well, except for #4) -- best of the weekend for me, for sure.

It was an absolute pleasure to tee it up with these guys; really enjoyed it.

Singles still to come, whenever the inevitable power outage later tonight is restored...

#DufferStuffer

I want to take a second and thank those that have come in and offered recaps of what this weekend and journey was all about.

I also want to thank those that have continued to (or started) to offer feedback on their equipment and apparel.

You have heard it from us, as well as the team from Cobra and Puma about how important these things are for the continuation of an experience like this.

Cheers

9ABF3CCE-9148-407F-9BC4-B50A6826870A.jpeg

I've finally made it through reading all of the recaps, only so many that you can read in a single setting, man you guys crushed it all pretty much have us reliving those few days.

You all did the Morgan Cup right!!! The memories will last forever!

I read through the thread again over the weekend. It brought back so many memories. Every time I go back through it, I find things I missed in the prior reads.

I know the Morgan Cup competition is meaningful (I'm still a little mad I didn't play better ;)) but the Cup is about so much more. Looking back on the friendships formed and times shared, I got a little teary thinking about my MC brothers including those who were unable to attend (to my great benefit) that I didn't get to meet.

I am very grateful for CPG and how well they treated us. The clubs, bag, clothes and shoes are amazing. Being treated like a tour player was beyond anything I imagined. Rachel, Jose and Yags, and JB and GG, worked tremendously hard to make this event happen in really difficult times. I can't thank them enough.

JB, if you need some volunteer help for 2021, I'm in.

Back