LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The greatest amateur event ever created!

The 2021 Grandaddy is here. 3+ days of action coming your way and this thread will serve as host for everything that takes place. If the participants see it (and can share it), it will be here. Watch and hear from them as they go through their fittings, tour Callaway HQ and meet everybody behind the brand.

index.php

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for 2 days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. Just because you are not there, does not mean you cannot be part of the action. Follow along to every single part of the 2021 Grandaddy of Em All, right here...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 8th time, the greatest amateur event ever created is here….

It is finally time for the Grandest Event on the THP Calendar, The Grandaddy from Callaway Golf and THP Golf. The Zoo Crew (Callaway Golf’s Marketing Team) will provide an all access pass to Callaway HQ and R&D to 13 lucky THP’ers. After HQ tours and product presentations, it is off to the ECPC for a fitting for a full bag of Callaway Clubs.

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for 2 days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. This event is extremely special to me, as yours truly represented THP in the 2017 edition.

If you want to see what the Grandaddy is all about, check out this link to the 2019 Live Update Thread: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...019-the-grandaddy-with-callaway-golf.8910385/

If you want to get down to the soul of this event, click here to see Al's speech from 2017. Al is a member of the Hideaway Golf Club, who welcomed the participants into his beautiful home and discussed what it was all about over drinks and delicious food.

Al also previews what is coming for the participants here in this video:

It doesn’t matter if you are a long-time member of the THP Universe or new around here, this is a follow that you don’t want to miss.

Now that I have gotten the set up out of the way, let’s take a moment to break down the event and lay down some odds…

When and Where
December 7th-9th
Carlsbad, CA and The Hideaway Golf Club

The course that The Grandaddy is contested on, has numerous posts in the forum about the two courses at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye). At this post, I don’t know which of the two courses will be used during singles, but it should be noted that I found that The Clive is the easier of the two courses.

If you want to research the course in more detail, the following thread is a great place to start:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...he-hideaway-golf-courses-review-thread.78989/

The Handicaps of the Teams:

The Zoo Crew:
(Combined Handicap- 6.2)

Captain: Jason Finley- 6.1

Johnny Wunder- 0

Austin Tudor- 1.5

Luke Williams- 2.5

Nick McInally- 2.8

Kim Johnson- 4

Royce Thompson- 5.5

Ethan Ganot- 6.2

Dave Neville- 7.8

Johnny Rodriguez- 10.8

Jeff Newton- 11

Lex Eader- 16.7

Team THP:
(Combined Handicap- 9.4)

Captain: @MattyD-MPLS - +0.7
Ass Cap: @dacatalyst41- Sliders

@cm24- 0

@Tevenor- 4.3

@Muchmore18- 5.8

@xThor – 6.2

@Afizzle2100 – 8.7

@RealPretendPsychic – 9.5

@Vader – 10.5

@93civiccpe – 14.4

@blazinden – 17.1

@Golfers Anonymous – 17.5

@Nappy – 18.9

On paper, The Zoo Crew has the edge in combined handicap (6.2 to 9.4), and although there are some new faces, this group (from a combined handicap standpoint) is one of the strongest teams from top to bottom that Callaway has ever boasted in this event.

Although the Zoo Crew has an advantage here, Team THP counters with a strong top end of the line-up and it’s 9.4 combined handicap is the lowest combined handicap that Team THP has ever had in the history of The Grandaddy. Captain Finley has a lot of different pairing options, and will look to exploit these options to mitigate exposure to the pops that Team THP can bring to bear is certain pairing configurations.

Unlike the last several editions, Captain Dimples has a lot of options related to his pairing, and a wider margin of error than the last 3 THP Captains. Depending on the pairing strategy, this could be a lot closer than it appears on paper. The general rule of thumb is that you set your pairings for the Alternate Shot stanza (if there is one), and work back, we will see how the Captains go about their pairings.

Format:
Note:
As of this writing, I don’t have the exact format. I will use 2019 as a baseline, however over the years several different formats have been used. I will update this section when I get the exact format for the matches.

Traditionally, The Grandaddy is contested over 2 days in a Ryder Cup style competition.

Day 1 includes 2 or 3 sets of 9 hole matches with 12 or 18 points available. Shamble and Best Ball are the traditional formats on Day 1 (Pinehurst & Alt Shot has also been used in the past).

Day 2 is Singles competition with 12 points available. 12’ or 15’ points wins The Grandaddy.

With the matches on Day 1 being of the 9 hole variety (they go quick) it is important to get off to a good start on Day 1 for any chance at victory. Also 50% (or more) of the total points in the event are on Day 1, making a quick start very important.

I will be very interested in what the format of the matches ends up and will there be either Alt Shot or Modified Alt Shot. In 2019, Alt Shot wasn’t a format chosen, however in 2017 for example we played Modified Alt Shot in the 2nd match of Day 1. The Captain’s match in singles is also of special attention as Finley looks to continue his absolute dominance in this area, however, Captain Dimples is the best golfer that he has faced at The Grandaddy and provides a different challenge than playing like me or McLovin. The point from that match could loom large and be very important in the final outcome, unlike in other years. Also, Finley didn’t play up to his standard of excellence at the Dream Foursome Event, was it rust or….? There is a lot going on here and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Opening Odds:

It is hard not to make The Zoo Crew a favorite here to open, as they have won 6 of the previous 7 Grandaddy’s. They also have an advantage in the combined handicap metric, as well as some have experience playing the course. I haven’t even mentioned that the Zoo Crew plays with their own clubs, while Team THP has brand new gear that they haven’t played with until the competition starts, that is also an advantage for the Zoo Crew. The Zoo Crew has 8 players with a handicap of 6 or better (Team THP has 5 players that meet this criteria). Luke is an absolute killer and he’s their 3rd lowest cap, this team is loaded.

With that being said, Team THP is a more than a live dog and on paper has enough fire power to give them a better than a puncher’s chance. I will be paying close attention to gear selection (what isn’t *redacted*), and of course the Day 1 pairings. This is the strongest top end of a team that THP has had, and this team has several members that are battle tested. If Alt Shot ends up not being a format, look out because this THP team is more than capable of keeping it within striking distance on Day 1 and making a run on Day 2 in singles. It really depends on how well the guys getting a ton of pops (Coupe, Blazin, GA, and Nappy) play and can they make those pops count. Especially on the Clive course where pops can be a great equalizer.

Team THP has a lot of event experience, and Clayton has been there before to help them navigate the surreal nature of this particular experience. Captain Dimples has had 2 years to prepare for this moment, and he might have something up his sleeve. The Zoo Crew will be a slight favorite, but I might pick Team THP to pull off the slight upset.

This post will serve for updates in the odds and break downs as the format of the competition becomes officially known and pairings are announced. I'm ready to post an opening number.

Team Odds of Winning The Grandaddy:

Zoo Crew -200

Team THP +160

Link to The Grandaddy Preview Show:

Day 1 Match Odds (Shamble): 2-Way
Match 1-
RealPretendPsychic (9.5) & cm24 (0) -150
Finley (6.1) & Kim Johnson (4) +130

Match 2-
Muchmore18 (5.8) & xThor (6.2) -180
JRod (10.8) & JeffNewton (11) +150

Match 3-
93civiccpe (14.4) & MattyD (+0.7) -160
Luke (2.5) & Lexi (16.7) +120

Match 4-
Nappy (18.9) & Vader (10.5) +240
Austin (1.5) & Ethan (6.2) -300

Match 5-
Afizzle2100 (8.7) & blazinden (17.1) +175
DNevs (7.8) & Nick (2.8) -200

Match 6-
Golfers Anonymous (17.5) & Tevenor (4.3) +240
JohnnyCallaway (0) & Royce (5.5) -300

Day 1 Match Odds (Best Ball): 2-Way
Match 7-
RealPretendPsychic (9.5) & cm24 (0) -175
Finley (6.1) & Kim Johnson (4) +145

Match 8-
Muchmore18 (5.8) & xThor (6.2) -220
JRod (10.8) & JeffNewton (11) +175

Match 9-
93civiccpe (14.4) & MattyD (+0.7) -200
Luke (2.5) & Lexi (16.7) +160

Match 10-
Nappy (18.9) & Vader (10.5) +240
Austin (1.5) & Ethan (6.2) -300

Match 11-
Afizzle2100 (8.7) & blazinden (17.1) +225
DNevs (7.8) & Nick (2.8) -300

Match 12-
Golfers Anonymous (17.5) & Tevenor (4.3) +225
JohnnyCallaway (0) & Royce (5.5) -300

Last edited:
yes!!!! live update thread. it's all happening.

Alright!!! Here we go!!!!
Two years in waiting and the magic week has arrived!
Post early and often!

What a glorious week at THP! I am so excited for everyone involved with this Experience.

The trip of a lifetime guys! Have no doubt you all are going to crush it while having the time of your lives! Lets go!

• Admin

It is finally time for the Grandest Event on the THP Calendar, The Grandaddy from Callaway Golf and THP Golf. The Zoo Crew (Callaway Golf’s Marketing Team) will provide an all access pass to Callaway HQ and R&D to 13 lucky THP’ers. After HQ tours and product presentations, it is off to the ECPC for a fitting for a full bag of Callaway Clubs.

Then it is off to the exclusive Hideaway in Palm Desert for 2 days of golf competition between the THP Forum members and the marketing team of Callaway Golf. This event is extremely special to me, as yours truly represented THP in the 2017 edition.

If you want to see what the Grandaddy is all about, check out this link to the 2019 Live Update Thread: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...019-the-grandaddy-with-callaway-golf.8910385/

If you want to get down to the soul of this event, click here to see Al's speech from 2017. Al is a member of the Hideaway Golf Club, who welcomed the participants into his beautiful home and discussed what it was all about over drinks and delicious food.

It doesn’t matter if you are a long-time member of the THP Universe or new around here, this is a follow that you don’t want to miss.

Now that I have gotten the set up out of the way, let’s take a moment to break down the event and lay down some odds…

When and Where
December 7th-9th

The course that The Grandaddy is contested on, has numerous posts in the forum about the two courses at The Hideaway Golf Club (The Clive & The Dye). At this post, I don’t know which of the two courses will be used during singles, but it should be noted that I found that The Clive is the easier of the two courses.

If you want to research the course in more detail, the following thread is a great place to start:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...he-hideaway-golf-courses-review-thread.78989/

The Zoo Crew:
(Combined Handicap- 6.2)

Johnny Wunder- 0

Austin Tudor- 1.5

Luke Williams- 2.5

Nick McInally- 2.8

Kim Johnson- 4

Royce Thompson- 5.5

Ethan Ganot- 6.2

Dave Neville- 7.8

Johnny Rodriguez- 10.8

Jeff Newton- 11

Lex Eader- 16.7

Team THP:
(Combined Handicap- 9.4)

@cm24- 0

@Tevenor- 4.3

@Muchmore18- 5.8

@xThor – 6.2

@Afizzle2100 – 8.7

@Vader – 10.5

@93civiccpe – 14.4

@blazinden – 17.1

@Nappy – 18.9

On paper, The Zoo Crew has the edge in combined handicap (6.2 to 9.4), and although there are some new faces, this group (from a combined handicap standpoint) is one of the strongest teams from top to bottom that Callaway has ever boasted in this event.

Although the Zoo Crew has an advantage here, Team THP counters with a strong top end of the line-up and it’s 9.4 combined handicap is the lowest combined handicap that Team THP has ever had in the history of The Grandaddy. Captain Finley has a lot of different pairing options, and will look to exploit these options to mitigate exposure to the pops that Team THP can bring to bear is certain pairing configurations.

Unlike the last several editions, Captain Dimples has a lot of options related to his pairing, and a wider margin of error than the last 3 THP Captains. Depending on the pairing strategy, this could be a lot closer than it appears on paper. The general rule of thumb is that you set your pairings for the Alternate Shot stanza (if there is one), and work back, we will see how the Captains go about their pairings.

Format:
Note:
As of this writing, I don’t have the exact format. I will use 2019 as a baseline, however over the years several different formats have been used. I will update this section when I get the exact format for the matches.

Traditionally, The Grandaddy is contested over 2 days in a Ryder Cup style competition.

Day 1 includes 2 or 3 sets of 9 hole matches with 12 or 18 points available. Shamble and Best Ball are the traditional formats on Day 1 (Pinehurst & Alt Shot has also been used in the past).

Day 2 is Singles competition with 12 points available. 12’ or 15’ points wins The Grandaddy.

With the matches on Day 1 being of the 9 hole variety (they go quick) it is important to get off to a good start on Day 1 for any chance at victory. Also 50% (or more) of the total points in the event are on Day 1, making a quick start very important.

I will be very interested in what the format of the matches ends up and will there be either Alt Shot or Modified Alt Shot. In 2019, Alt Shot wasn’t a format chosen, however in 2017 for example we played Modified Alt Shot in the 2nd match of Day 1. The Captain’s match in singles is also of special attention as Finley looks to continue his absolute dominance in this area, however, Captain Dimples is the best golfer that he has faced at The Grandaddy and provides a different challenge than playing like me or McLovin. The point from that match could loom large and be very important in the final outcome, unlike in other years. Also, Finley didn’t play up to his standard of excellence at the Dream Foursome Event, was it rust or….? There is a lot going on here and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Opening Odds:

It is hard not to make The Zoo Crew a favorite here to open, as they have won 6 of the previous 7 Grandaddy’s. They also have an advantage in the combined handicap metric, as well as some have experience playing the course. I haven’t even mentioned that the Zoo Crew plays with their own clubs, while Team THP has brand new gear that they haven’t played with until the competition starts, that is also an advantage for the Zoo Crew. The Zoo Crew has 8 players with a handicap of 6 or better (Team THP has 5 players that meet this criteria). Luke is an absolute killer and he’s their 3rd lowest cap, this team loaded.

With that being said, Team THP is a more than a live dog and on paper has enough fire power to give them a better than a puncher’s chance. I will be paying close attention to gear selection (what isn’t *redacted*), and of course the Day 1 pairings. This is the strongest top end of a team that THP has had, and this team has several members that are battle tested. If Alt Shot ends up not being a format, look out because this THP team is more than capable of keeping it within striking distance on Day 1 and making a run on Day 2 in singles. It really depends on how well the guys getting a ton of pops (Coupe, Blazin, GA, and Nappy) play and can they make those pops count. Especially on the Clive course where pops can be a great equalizer.

Team THP has a lot of event experience, and Clayton has been there before to help them navigate the surreal nature of this particular experience. Captain Dimples has had 2 years to prepare for this moment, and he might have something up his sleeve. The Zoo Crew will be a slight favorite, but I might pick Team THP to pull off the slight upset.

This post will serve for updates in the odds and break downs as the format of the competition becomes officially known and pairings are announced. I'm ready to post an opening number.

Zoo Crew -200

Team THP +160
This is great stuff @JDax

This is EXCITING!!!

Live update and @JDax odds?

Yes, let's go guys!! Can't wait to follow the Team of Fringe Lunatics as they take on the Zoo Crew in hopes to gain the belt back for the THP community 🔥🔥🔥

Amazing looking event. This is going to be a fun follow! Safe travels to all.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh Buuuudddddyyyyy! Live Thread is here!!!

Here it is. Finally the greatest event all year! Have a blast this week guys! (y) @93civiccpe I'm pulling for you, so you better not let me down :eek:

When and Where
December 7th-9th

The Zoo Crew:
(Combined Handicap- 6.2)

Johnny Wunder- 0

Austin Tudor- 1.5

Luke Williams- 2.5

Nick McInally- 2.8

Kim Johnson- 4

Royce Thompson- 5.5

Ethan Ganot- 6.2

Dave Neville- 7.8

Johnny Rodriguez- 10.8

Jeff Newton- 11

Lex Eader- 16.7

Team THP:
(Combined Handicap- 9.4)

@cm24- 0

@Tevenor- 4.3

@Muchmore18- 5.8

@xThor – 6.2

@Afizzle2100 – 8.7

@Vader – 10.5

@93civiccpe – 14.4

@blazinden – 17.1

@Nappy – 18.9

Format:
Note:

Opening Odds:

It is hard not to make The Zoo Crew a favorite here to open, as they have won 6 of the previous 7 Grandaddy’s. They also have an advantage in the combined handicap metric, as well as some have experience playing the course. I haven’t even mentioned that the Zoo Crew plays with their own clubs, while Team THP has brand new gear that they haven’t played with until the competition starts, that is also an advantage for the Zoo Crew. The Zoo Crew has 8 players with a handicap of 6 or better (Team THP has 5 players that meet this criteria). Luke is an absolute killer and he’s their 3rd lowest cap, this team loaded.

Zoo Crew -200

Team THP +160

I'm surprised that after playing in Florida last month, Finley's handicap isn't 10. :ROFLMAO:

Let’s have some fun THP :D

OMG!!! Can't wait to have an "important meeting" and sit down and read this! So ready for this and so need it right now! LFG!!!

Back