The 2021 MLB Thread

Man, I know the Cardinals are the underdogs, and I should go into this game expecting a loss, but as usual, I am a nervous wreck today.

I fully anticipate a really good game. Mad Max is an absolute animal, but Adam Wainwright is a crafty veteran. I think this is going to come down to the team that gets that first big hit, and I can absolutely see this being a 3-1, 4-2 type game.

Best of luck to all the Dodgers fans out there, but I am really hoping the Cardinals are celebrating in LA tonight.

In a year when they have had injury after injury after injury...losing Muncy on the last day of the season really hurts. The Cards have a very nice team. It could go either way tonight.

Is the wildcard game considered the playoffs? Wouldn't that be considered a 163'rd game to see who makes the playoffs? Genuine question

yup it's considered the playoffs. Game 163 would be considered part of the regular season. The one-game playoff is MLB trying to manufacture drama. I bet it's gone next year and moved to a 2-3, or they revamp the playoffs even more. Esp if the Dodgers lose tonight.

yup it's considered the playoffs. Game 163 would be considered part of the regular season. The one-game playoff is MLB trying to manufacture drama. I bet it's gone next year and moved to a 2-3, or they revamp the playoffs even more. Esp if the Dodgers lose tonight.

I would love to see a best of 3, especially when one of the teams wins 106 games haha.

They need to do something different, but at this point, I am just hoping we HAVE baseball next year.

I would love to see a best of 3, especially when one of the teams wins 106 games haha.

They need to do something different, but at this point, I am just hoping we HAVE baseball next year.

I am so very curious on the negotiations that will be happening soon. I've been saying for years to get a salary floor, who knows if it happens. I liked how they did the first round last year, but certainly recognize that it was a different type of season.

I am so very curious on the negotiations that will be happening soon. I've been saying for years to get a salary floor, who knows if it happens. I liked how they did the first round last year, but certainly recognize that it was a different type of season.

No salary floor without a salary cap, which will never happen :ROFLMAO:

MLBPA is one of the most powerful unions in the world. Both sides are going to want things, just hoping they can find some middle ground.

Would love to see expanded WC games, and a universal DH.

36 million a year for this performance ... Cole did not have great recent results in Fenway Park Park prior to this game ... just sayin' ...

My understanding is that it is considered the playoffs. For example, the Mariners were in contention for the last wildcard spot and the announcers regularly commented on how it has been 18 years since they made the playoffs.

I believe you are correct. The wild card games are considered the playoffs. If there was a tie for the division or for a wild card spot, the games to break the tie are considered regular season games. That’s where game 163 would come in.

My understanding is that it is considered the playoffs. For example, the Mariners were in contention for the last wildcard spot and the announcers regularly commented on how it has been 18 years since they made the playoffs.
Right ... meaning they are in contention. If they win the wild card, they make the playoffs :unsure:

Yankees fans can still buy playoff apparel so the wild card game is the playoffs.

Screenshot_20211006-081749_Chrome.jpg

No salary floor without a salary cap, which will never happen :ROFLMAO:

MLBPA is one of the most powerful unions in the world. Both sides are going to want things, just hoping they can find some middle ground.

Would love to see expanded WC games, and a universal DH.

I fear that a work stoppage is inevitable once the current CBA expires. I don’t see both sides finding common ground regarding issues such as competitive balance, salary caps and floors, expanded playoffs and free agency and service time.

My too simple to work ideas.

Owners give up 1.5 yrs of service time. Meaning no more manipulation of service time for future stars. So after 4.5 yrs you get to become free agent at the end of that season.
Owners get - Yrs 1-4 in contracts are guaranteed. Yr 5 is guaranteed for injury and anything beyond that is buyout or cut. Stop with these dumb contracts.

I believe you are correct. The wild card games are considered the playoffs. If there was a tie for the division or for a wild card spot, the games to break the tie are considered regular season games. That’s where game 163 would come in.
I think it is amazing that after 162 games teams can have identical records.

I fear that a work stoppage is inevitable once the current CBA expires. I don’t see both sides finding common ground regarding issues such as competitive balance, salary caps and floors, expanded playoffs and free agency and service time.
The owners have finally gotten smart and through the use of metrics value players differently (more correctly, IMO), which has tamped down salaries. The players / players union hate this, the covid rules, what MLB did with the Covid shortened schedule, disputed owner's contention they lost money during the Covid year, etc. This is going to be another acrimonious negotiation, which is just flat out stupid.

The owners have finally gotten smart and through the use of metrics value players differently (more correctly, IMO), which has tamped down salaries. The players / players union hate this, the covid rules, what MLB did with the Covid shortened schedule, disputed owner's contention they lost money during the Covid year, etc. This is going to be another acrimonious negotiation, which is just flat out stupid.

You would think that the Covid related shut down from last season and its effects on revenue would spur both sides to do everything possible to avoid a work stoppage.

Boom. World Series next year! Or continuation of disappointment…?

Boom. World Series next year! Or continuation of disappointment…?

Okay, the goal is to win, other than the Orioles or Pirates, whose goal is it not to win? I always thought you played to win.

Okay, the goal is to win, other than the Orioles or Pirates, whose goal is it not to win? I always thought you played to win.

It’s been so long since the Phillies have made the playoffs I assumed our goal was to be a .500 team that can’t beat the Marlins 🤷‍♂️

It’s been so long since the Phillies have made the playoffs I assumed our goal was to be a .500 team that can’t beat the Marlins 🤷‍♂️

They have a shot at least. The Braves are good; the other are either not yet playoff caliber (Marlins), rebuilding (Nats) or deeply flawed (Mets).

This game feels uncomfortably like last nights game.

I thought the Red Sox - Yankees games were always long. The one last night was fast compared to tonight's game.

Heck of a game between 2 very solid teams. It’s a shame someone has to lose

I probably should have taken my blood pressure medicine today 😆

Back