The 2021 MLB Thread

Yeah, but think about this, the Rangers just dropped half a billion dollars on their middle infielders and they are still going to finish last in their own division. Even if they shed some payroll they’ll do better.

big picture. A's are looking to start over, Astros are likely getting weaker. Plus the addition of some extra playoff teams will probably happen. This team was last in runs, 2nd to last in hits, they needed to improve there and it's safe say these two additions help. It sounds like they aren't done either.

Yeah, but think about this, the Rangers just dropped half a billion dollars on their middle infielders and they are still going to finish last in their own division. Even if they shed some payroll they’ll do better.

It will be interesting, I don't think the Rangers are playing for next year, I think they are trying to bring in a competitive core while knowing they have a solid stable of minor league talent that is getting close.

Leiter may be up as soon as this year, maybe next.

Cole Winn as well

Pitching is definitely their issue at this point.

2CBF08F1-DC8B-4BFB-9662-1595E6060927.jpeg

It will be interesting, I don't think the Rangers are playing for next year, I think they are trying to bring in a competitive core while knowing they have a solid stable of minor league talent that is getting close.

Leiter may be up as soon as this year, maybe next.

Cole Winn as well

Pitching is definitely their issue at this point.

yup, have some young pitching in the system. Follow that blueprint we have seen others do. Get some young arms/players coming up and add in some FA signings to get ready for that window of opportunity.

it's starting to sound like Frank doesn't like teams to spend money unless they rhyme with codgers :p

*said fully in jest

The areas where they are thin in the Majors, they have some really good talent in the minors.

3B: Josh Jung
C/1B: Sam Huff
Pitching: Leiter, Cole Winn

I am not saying everyone will pan out, but I can see what they are TRYING to do

I'm looking forward to Huff and Leiter.

I agree that Seager was a gross overpay. If the Rangers would have given that same contract to Correa instead, that sentiment would not have been nearly as strong.

It remains to be seen what will be the full effect of the Rangers/Seager deal.

IF not the Yanks, which I don't buy, another team will pony up. The way they will get around it is opt out clauses or a high AAV over a shorter period, like 250 over 7 yrs. But Correa will get his money.

There are many arguments for Correa not to take anything less than Seager as to guaranteed years and money . Obviously, Correa is going to get paid. He just might not get Seager money. This is a potential loss for the player and the players association. While it's great for them that Seager got 10 and 325, the fact that Correa may not get a 10 year guaranteed contract at 325 million over the the ten years is not the result they would have wanted.

I hope they offer zero.

I'm not sure how much money the Yankees would be willing to pay. They may need a SS; they may not want a 10 year 325 million dollar contract.

It remains to be seen what will be the full effect of the Rangers/Seager deal.

There are many arguments for Correa not to take anything less than Seager as to guaranteed years and money . Obviously, Correa is going to get paid. He just might not get Seager money. This is a potential loss for the player and the players association. While it's great for them that Seager got 10 and 325, the fact that Correa may not get a 10 year guaranteed contract at 325 million over the the ten years is not the result they would have wanted.

I'm not sure how much money the Yankees would be willing to pay. They may need a SS; they may not want a 10 year 325 million dollar contract.

it could be one of those musical chairs types. Where he thought guys might be waiting on him, now he's the last one standing with some big players presumably out. I will really be curious where he ends up and what numbers. I'm not 100% opposed to the Yankees signing him. But I really don't want him.

it's starting to sound like Frank doesn't like teams to spend money unless they rhyme with codgers :p
*said fully in jest
this gave me a solid much needed LOL

Javier Baez to Tigers for 6 years, $140 million.

Door keeps opening wider for Correa to sign with the Yanks.
I don't hate it. Not quite the bat Correa is but waaaaaay cheaper and he can steal bases

I don't hate it. Not the bat Correa is but waaaaaay cheaper

That's a reasonable contract as far as length and $$. It gives the team some financial flexibility to address other needs as opposed to giving a player 30 plus million for 10 years.

Looks like the Cardinals are going to lose Luis Garcia to the Padres.

I am NOT thrilled about that at all unless they just drastically overpaid for him. He was crucial to the success of the team in the second half.

That's a reasonable contract as far as length and $$. It gives the team some financial flexibility to address other needs as opposed to giving a player 30 plus million for 10 years.
Exactly. We still need a few more pieces including pitching

it could be one of those musical chairs types. Where he thought guys might be waiting on him, now he's the last one standing with some big players presumably out. I will really be curious where he ends up and what numbers. I'm not 100% opposed to the Yankees signing him. But I really don't want him.

It depends upon what teams are in the market. With the Rangers and Tigers out and Seager and Baez signed, what teams are left that would realistically offer a 10 year 300 plus million contract for Correa.

Javier Baez to Tigers for 6 years, $140 million. looks to be the floor. The Astros offered 5/160 to Correa (he turned down) and Seager got 10/325 (which was overpaid but the ceiling now)

I am guessing Correa wants 7-10 for at least 200. At that price I am not sure he is worth it.

Javier Baez to Tigers for 6 years, $140 million. looks to be the floor. The Astros offered 5/160 to Correa (he turned down) and Seager got 10/325 (which was overpaid but the ceiling now)

I am guessing Correa wants 7-10 for at least 200. At that price I am not sure he is worth it.
Somebody is going to pay him though. That seager deal is so stupid.

you think he wants less than Seager?

He wants at least equal and probably more as well as a long term deal.

I dont think he wants less, but I am not sure anyone is out there that will pay him as much or over that. The Astros offer put him at 32 a year, so I am not sure how much more the yearly has to be for him to sign. That is why I am thinking its an overall number he wants and not a yearly average.

He wants at least equal and probably more as well as a long term deal.

that's where my mind is too. 10 year 330, suck it Seager.

that's where my mind is too. 10 year 330, suck it Seager.
I have no doubt his ego is leading him to this thought. I just don't know who will pony up that kind of scratch. I can see 250-275, but reaching 300 seems like a stretch to me.

Of course I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I clearly know nothing. lol

Correa wants more than Lindor. His market is small and I think he should go after AAV instead of length. He starts talking at 341, that's it. I don't think the Yankees will cave.

Back