EXPERIENCE The 2022 Morgan Cup: Sponsored by Cobra Golf

Everybody feeling like they are on a good path coming into this thing? Two months is going to fly by.

What are you planning to focus on most as the event draws closer?
I'm on the edge of playing really well at the minute, as usual too many stupid mistakes creeping in but that's always going to be the case. Just need to remember not to follow a bad shot with a stupid one and I'll be fine.

Not much specific focus at the moment, have done a lot of work on the swing over the last season and a half and is just a case of keeping in the groove. Tightening up the short game and putting slightly, practicing my club twirl and making sure the ball is in front of me.

So nothing much :LOL:

Handicap finally headed the other direction this past weekend after creeping up all summer. Wedges inside 50 yards feel like the lowest hanging fruit right now as far as things to practice/improve.
Tighten that short game up a little bit would be a nice start. It’s not awful, but certainly could be better.

You both have your wedges, correct? Have there been any challenges making the adjustment?

I'm on the edge of playing really well at the minute, as usual too many stupid mistakes creeping in but that's always going to be the case. Just need to remember not to follow a bad shot with a stupid one and I'll be fine.

Not much specific focus at the moment, have done a lot of work on the swing over the last season and a half and is just a case of keeping in the groove. Tightening up the short game and putting slightly, practicing my club twirl and making sure the ball is in front of me.

So nothing much :LOL:
Nope - nothing much :p

I’m sure you’ve thought and talked about it quite a bit, but do you have any thoughts on how you will deal with the long trip and the foreign course conditions?

Everybody feeling like they are on a good path coming into this thing? Two months is going to fly by.

I’m in a slight rut. Some bad habits have crept back into my swing. As I’m dealing with some minor issues. Plenty of time to work through those and heal up.

the peak of summer I hope hope hope has past. Practice should become less dangerous of an experience.

Finding a safe tee shot/having the right strategy off the tee so im in play and not racking up penalty strokes. 40-90 yd shots are a weak area for me and could be beneficial. Ill practice putting but i know the grass is different and speeds will be different so that will need some quick adjusting to when we arrive.

I’m in a slight rut. Some bad habits have crept back into my swing. As I’m dealing with some minor issues. Plenty of time to work through those and heal up.

the peak of summer I hope hope hope has past. Practice should become less dangerous of an experience.

Definitely take care of the body. My experience in past events is showing up in bad shape will catch up eventually.
Finding a safe tee shot/having the right strategy off the tee so im in play and not racking up penalty strokes. 40-90 yd shots are a weak area for me and could be beneficial. Ill practice putting but i know the grass is different and speeds will be different so that will need some quick adjusting to when we arrive.
Yea - working on those yardages, or planning to avoid at least one of them, is a good plan.

Depending on format, you can definitely contribute off the tee by playing it a little safe and letting your partner take risks.

Nope - nothing much :p

I’m sure you’ve thought and talked about it quite a bit, but do you have any thoughts on how you will deal with the long trip and the foreign course conditions?
Short answer is alcohol :LOL:

Long answer is that I'm actually going to be landing in the US a fortnight prior to the event and going on a bit of a tour around THPers just meeting people and playing a bunch of golf. By that time any jetlag will be long gone and I'll be rocking! Foreign course conditions will be a bit tougher to figure out I think, but I'm playing a load of golf over in various states prior to the event, so hoping that will give a bit of a grounding. To be honest, the whole 3 weeks will be a complete mind f... but I have the best people that will be there to tell me not to try and putt through a fringe of Bermuda grass :LOL:

Long answer is that I'm actually going to be landing in the US a fortnight prior to the event and going on a bit of a tour around THPers just meeting people and playing a bunch of golf. By that time any jetlag will be long gone and I'll be rocking! Foreign course conditions will be a bit tougher to figure out I think, but I'm playing a load of golf over in various states prior to the event, so hoping that will give a bit of a grounding. To be honest, the whole 3 weeks will be a complete mind f... but I have the best people that will be there to tell me not to try and putt through a fringe of Bermuda grass :LOL:

That’s actually a fantastic plan - and will be an unforgettable three weeks.

You both have your wedges, correct? Have there been any challenges making the adjustment?
Ya I've had mine for about a month. Last year I was playing One Length through SW so my PM Grind 58* was used for everything 90 yards and in. So I've experimented a bit with what wedge to use for those distances and lies. Last couple rounds I've mostly used the 58* WL and seeing some improvements. One of those things where I don't think I should do that but kinda have to lean in to the results I'm seeing. I haven't had what I feel is a great around the green round with them yet, but feeling a little underwhelmed with my short game was kind of my game prior to getting these. At first when hitting open faced shots with the 58*, I realized I should be opening it less than my intuition told me to hit the intended shot. Now that I've noticed that I feel a little more comfortable on those shots.

Another thing you might need to take into account is the weather conditions - first time I played in the Caribbean I was hitting anything up to 3 clubs less than I would have done back here in the UK due to the difference in temperature

Only 2 months. Man this is going to go quick!

Only 2 months. Man this is going to go quick!
Quietest group of MCers ever. Hopefully they make their presence known soon. This should be a great time to be alive

I’m feeling pretty good right now. Things seem to be dialing in a little bit better every time I play now.

My main focus is going to be 100yds in. With the Hackers hitting 90%+ of fairways, they’re going to be sitting pretty and thinking they’re good. I want to stick wedge after wedge in tight to make easy pars and net pars. I want them to see me pull wedge and start sweating because they know it’s going close.

After that, putting. It’s been better and I feel real good 6’ and in. I want to keep dialing in those 12-20 footers. On the off chance I don’t knock a wedge to tap in distance, I want them to see putt after putt drop in and start thinking to themselves “he’s a machine!” 😂

I’m feeling pretty good right now. Things seem to be dialing in a little bit better every time I play now.

My main focus is going to be 100yds in. With the Hackers hitting 90%+ of fairways, they’re going to be sitting pretty and thinking they’re good. I want to stick wedge after wedge in tight to make easy pars and net pars. I want them to see me pull wedge and start sweating because they know it’s going close.

After that, putting. It’s been better and I feel real good 6’ and in. I want to keep dialing in those 12-20 footers. On the off chance I don’t knock a wedge to tap in distance, I want them to see putt after putt drop in and start thinking to themselves “he’s a machine!” 😂

I love the spite-preparation lol :LOL:😎

I love the spite-preparation lol :LOL:😎
I’m planing on coming to this event and having the time of my life. No better way to do that than a convincing win! 😎

And today we show off the new trophy on WGP.
@jdtox @JDax over/under how many of your teammates join us?

Yardage wise, no. Spin wise, I can’t tell if it’s technique or just new groove woes. If I try and spin it, it laughs at me. If I don’t, let’s spin like a top and leave me with ten footers 🙄

I am working on my remote cheerleading and banter skills. :cool:

This is the one and only Morgan Cup baby. Let's GO! #HackersForLife #LivingRentFreeInParadise

I'm feeling pretty good with where I'm at right now. I haven't been able to play as much this summer but should be able to pick it up now. The last 3 full rounds have been 75,76, and 76 with my putting not being near as good as what it was a couple months ago. If I can get that to come back around and tighten up the wedge game then I will be really happy. The driver and irons have been about as good as I can remember.

I'm planning to focus on getting used to the newer heavier X-stiff iron shafts by doing a few range sessions. I'm also going to try and get out some to chip and putt. I'm not much of a practice guy as I'd rather just go play but will try to practice by hitting a few extra shots while playing.

That technique will absolutely not work when I'm sitting 120 out and in the semi rough :LOL:

Wish I knew what that felt like.

Just make sure you’re backing team Paradise come October and you’ll get those winning feelings 😂

That technique will absolutely not work when I'm sitting 120 out and in the semi rough :LOL:
We’ll just tell you there’s a wall hidden just short of the green to get in your head 😆

Back