The 2nd Driver Experiment

Doesn’t shortening a regular shaft lean it towards stiff? How “much” I’m sure is subjective.

I’m toying with the idea of a TM 425 10.5 at 43-1/2”

Have had the mini for almost a year now with mixed results. It tends to keep me in play better but sometimes I feel like I could use the extra 15/20+ yards of a regular driver. Thinking of buying a full size and going down the 2 driver road

Last edited:
I’ve been living in the 44.4” range for some time.

I Like your idea of possibly testing a regular shaft to try to get the swingweight up.

Affordable is sub$150 in my world as we are potentially experimenting

I am betting eBay will have a lot of stock shafts of various OEMs for less than $100

Doesn’t shortening a regular shaft lean it towards stiff? How “much” I’m sure is subjective.

I’m toying with the idea of a TM 425 10.5 at 43-1/2”

Yes, but you can offset some of that stiffness by replacing swing weight with a weight (if applicable) or lead tape.

I am betting eBay will have a lot of stock shafts of various OEMs for less than $100
Agreed. Just need to dig into what will be higher launching if I decide to go this route.

Agreed. Just need to dig into what will be higher launching if I decide to go this route.

Most stock shafts seem to be mid-mid, which may help with higher loft drivers.

It’s never occurred to me to not carry a 3W and the funny thing I can’t remember the last time I hit one off the deck.
This is what led to me building the second driver. So far, no regrets!

I’ve been living in the 44.4” range for some time.

I Like your idea of possibly testing a regular shaft to try to get the swingweight up.

Affordable is sub$150 in my world as we are potentially experimenting
I would look for a UST Lin-q red or a ventus Velocore red 3 wood shaft. Sometimes you can score the 3 wood shafts cheap online.

My 2nd driver experiment shared the bag with my regular driver for only about 3 or 4 rounds before the 2nd driver emphatically won the top spot.

TM 300 Mini Driver, 13.5* with a HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 6.0 at 43.75".

Don’t know if it’s because of my negative AOA benefiting from the higher loft, my more confident pass at the ball, or both, but I’m not only much more accurate with it, I’m considerably longer too. Defies logic as to respective driver specs, at least to me, but I’ve realized a significant bump in yardage. Never expected that, sure wasn’t looking for it, very happily accepting of it.

I would look for a UST Lin-q red or a ventus Velocore red 3 wood shaft. Sometimes you can score the 3 wood shafts cheap online.

Yes, but aren't the 3 wood shafts already tipped .5 inches?

I'd like to try a Ventus but I have a TPT 17 Lo - 68g - that I had in a Ping G400. Time to cut it to 44.5 and see what happens.

I was tuned into an old TXG vid where Matt was trying out a 43.5 inch driver with lead tape for SW and it was more accurate while only losing a couple of yards to the longer driver shaft.

Yes, but aren't the 3 wood shafts already tipped .5 inches?

I'd like to try a Ventus but I have a TPT 17 Lo - 68g - that I had in a Ping G400. Time to cut it to 44.5 and see what happens.

I was tuned into an old TXG vid where Matt was trying out a 43.5 inch driver with lead tape for SW and it was more accurate while only losing a couple of yards to the longer driver shaft.
Yes, mine is tipped but feels good to me

I will have to keep my eyes out

My 2nd driver experiment shared the bag with my regular driver for only about 3 or 4 rounds before the 2nd driver emphatically won the top spot.

TM 300 Mini Driver, 13.5* with a HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 6.0 at 43.75".

Don’t know if it’s because of my negative AOA benefiting from the higher loft, my more confident pass at the ball, or both, but I’m not only much more accurate with it, I’m considerably longer too. Defies logic as to respective driver specs, at least to me, but I’ve realized a significant bump in yardage. Never expected that, sure wasn’t looking for it, very happily accepting of it.

I know what you mean. As with the Original One that preceded it, I am shocked how much distance I can get out of the 300. When I hit it well, my driver is considerably longer than my 300 Mini. Unfortunately, I don't hit it well nearly as often as I do the Mini, so the average distance probably isn't much different. I tend to hit driver only on long par 5's, or if I'm trying to reach on a short Par 4. Sometimes I leave it at home to avoid the temptation.

Back