The 50 best BEER cities in America

As someone who lives in the Indianapolis area, I will say the brewery selection is phenomenal in the area. Sun King, Upland, For day Ray are my favorites. Although the list they are pulling from extends out to like 30 miles out so not sure if that’s fair.

Good to know I have something to look forward to the rest of my life.....

Minneapolis does have a lot of good beers and breweries but the ones named in the article are not that great in my opinion. Anytime I go to a new city I try to stop at a brewery to taste some local brews. I am a brewery fan

Indianapolis takes up the entirety of Marion County. Imagine Columbus's # if it were all of Franklin County. Or Cincinnati all of Hamilton County.

I wouldn't say Ohio has the best beers or my all time favorites, but as a state of 11 million people, having three cities in the Top 15 is pretty solid.
Columbus basically is all of Franklin County and we have a ton of breweries. Over 100 in Indy is almost like 1 on every corner. And they've all been good from what I've had in Indy.

Columbus basically is all of Franklin County and we have a ton of breweries. Over 100 in Indy is almost like 1 on every corner. And they've all been good from what I've had in Indy.
Hard to say how they counted based on geography. Columbus is 225 sq. miles out of 544 total for Franklin County and there are 15 other suburbs incorporated as cities. If those weren't counted it would explain the difference between Indy's 100 and Columbus's 30 something.

I take these "50 best/worst xxx" articles for exactly what they are - clickbait to drive traffic to their sites.

this list is crap haha....

How on earth is Ashville, NC; Charleston, SC; charlottesville, va; and a few others not here...

oiy

Hard to say how they counted based on geography. Columbus is 225 sq. miles out of 544 total for Franklin County and there are 15 other suburbs incorporated as cities. If those weren't counted it would explain the difference between Indy's 100 and Columbus's 30 something.
Possibly, Although I would assume that places like Carmel and Avon are included in Indianapolis in the same way Worthington and Westerville would be included in Columbus. Another also unknown is if they are counting a place like Sun King that has 3 tap rooms in the Indy area as 3 or as 1?

Central Ohio seems oversaturated with breweries so if Central Indiana/Indianapolis truly has that many I can only assume what I would think there.

I recently read a book about philly being the city of beer. And I enjoyed it. Surprised San Diego is so far down.

The disconnect with this list is per capita.....Yea when you have a city that has 20 times the population of another....Maybe it should have 20 times the breweries....Grain of salt with this list. Many smaller cities have a great selection but just a few as they are small....

I visited Traverse City, Michigan a few years back and they seemed to be lots of Beer choices. Plus the scenery was pretty good too.

Seems just like the CDC reporting the number of covid positives in a place that are in direct correlation to the total population of the place...

Pretty depressing to see the average price of beer on that list. Here in Monterey, you’d struggle to pay less than $7 or $8. Then again, I tend to buy the microbrewed stuff and stay well clear of the mass produced garbage they try and pass off as beer. We have a good collection of microbreweries down here, and they all produce fantastic beers.

Pretty depressing to see the average price of beer on that list. Here in Monterey, you’d struggle to pay less than $7 or $8. Then again, I tend to buy the microbrewed stuff and stay well clear of the mass produced garbage they try and pass off as beer. We have a good collection of microbreweries down here, and they all produce fantastic beers.
Yeah y’all have some good beer there.

I was thinking the same things, how does using number of styles count if they're not good to begin with?
I'm close to Denver & there are some stunning breweries but aren't in Denver (Avery, Left Hand & New Belgium come to mind) bit ad they're not 'metro area' don't count towards the ranking

I figure that if a style wasn't good to begin with it wouldn't be around long, and the number of styles would be lower.

"Best" implies something different than abundance (i.e., # of breweries per capita). Being the "best" should consider the variety/abundance, cost/value, and location itself.

Who the hell would want to pay 2-3x the national average for a beer in a city without sunshine?

Outstanding beer provides its own sunshine!

Back