Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
The 50 Yard Shot, aka the "Partial Wedge" for most of us. It seems like it should be so easy, but for a lot of golfers it is one of the hardest shots. So let's hear from you. Do you consider yourself good at this shot? What club do you use for it most of the time? Any swing thoughts you have for it?

Half swing 56, line it up and don't think about it, I'd say fairly decent as in I'll hit the green and I'd like to think inside 20'.

I don’t wanna talk about it. Too many bad memories. Swing thoughts? Please get lucky!

This is a shot I hit all the time. I use my PW (Players CB's and MB's work great for this GI's do not) and it's about a 1/2 to 2/3 swing depending on how high or low I want to flight it. My swing thought is swing out past the ball toward the hole. This stops deceleration which is the killer on partial swings.

Depends on the lie and turf condition. When it's soft, I tend to use 56 (has more bounce), When Out of the rough, or a firm fairway I will use 60 and play towards back foot.

Public Service Announcement...if this is also a "tight" lie, don't stand to my right

Definitely one I need to practice this spring... Also need to work on 70-85

If I hit the green from 50 yards it was a good shot. Generally not my strong suit.

I prefer to go with a lower ball flight if conditions allow. Usually a partial 50 or a less partial (?) 56 if I have to go a bit higher.

I don't mind the 50 yard shot - its a half 54* or 3/4 58* for me. In general for most shots I try to keep my pitching game pretty simple and just vary length of swing require for shorter distances. Lots of practice around the yard chipping and pitching I think really helps improve contact once on course.

This is a shot that I have to work on, to gain confidence especially. I play it pretty well in the practice area, but when I am on the course, I am unable to trust the bounce and tend to skull it over the green.

Probably the weakest part of my game. I used my 58 a lot this past year, and I plan to use my 56 from my new setup next year. I generally try to play this shot lowish—too many times high shots come up short—but cannot always get it to stop where I want it.

Nothing more frustrating than crushing a drive down the fairway, leaving a partial wedge in, and then two-putting for BOGEY.

50 degree wedge, little over 1/2 swing. No issues hitting the green, if needed I could use a PW also.

Yes I consider myself pretty good at this shot. I used to fear partial distances but they don't bother me at all anymore. 54* Wedge always

It all depends, have to carry a bunker or other issue, 3/4 swing my 58° and stick it close, from the fairway and clear sailing, 1/2 swing or less of my 55° and plan for rollout.

So I used to be terrible at this shot. Absolutely one I feared. @jdtox helped me a lot with some tips this year. Now I use my 54, choke down a bit and with a short backswing, and make sure I accelerate through the ball. It is definitely still not my best shot in the bag, but one I feel a lot more comfortable with now. Hopefully continue to improve on it next year.

I'm decent at it. As a few other people have said, you cannot decel on it or you're dead. You just gotta commit to whatever speed or length of backswing you took, even if you launch it 60yds. Better to have a 30ft putt than a 40yd shot now.

This is what I warm up with almost every practice session. I love it! It takes confidence to swing aggressively through the shot. You don't want to decel into the ball or the thins and chunks happen.

This is usually a 9:00 SW (56*) for me. I need to work on it, because I don't hit it close enough to the stick often enough.

I grew to like this shot about 9-10 years ago. Club choice depends on what's in front of the pin. But it's normally a 54 or 58/60. If it's a spot where I can run it up a little, I'll use a PW/50. Just make sure I rotate through.

Yes I consider myself pretty good at this shot. I used to fear partial distances but they don't bother me at all anymore. 54* Wedge always

You are very good at this shot, and make it look really easy. It makes me angry.

Do you consider yourself good at this shot?

Yep; I don't have any anxiety from 50y.

What club do you use for it most of the time?

Well... depends on the shot, right?

Could be anything from a flop with a 58 to a hop-n-stop with PW, or a linksy bump and run with a 7i.

Any swing thoughts you have for it?

From that distance, I'm probably picking an actual spot I want my ball to land on - a leaf, or particular spot on the green or fringe, etc and am focusing on hitting that spot... which means I've thought thru how I want it to roll out after it lands.

i don't hate this shot. not saying i'm awesome at it. weight stays very centered, maybe slightly on the lead foot. backswing is only about hip high, soft hands. plenty of hip rotation through impact, with a somewhat full finish in the lower body but arms about chest high. a new thought for me is to keep the belly button back, and let my upper body rotate through. this helps me not stay back and chunk it.

depends a lot on the lie and if I need to come in high or low.

PW all day, just a little punchy one. Easy peasy.

Back