No, although it's a great course and probably the best field of the year. But, there are only 4 majors period.

Nope, I am a four major guy.

Golf is a game of history, and tradition. No reason to change that history, and tradition by prostituting it with a 5th major.

What do you say to those multiple Major winners who only had 4 a year to play? If they make it a 5th major do the past winners of this tournament get retroactive number of majors won added to their resume?

No if we are going to have a 5th major, lets add all the WGC events into the mix also. Lets have 9, or 10 majors every year.
The PGA Championship history changed in 1968. Keeping it as a major really ignored that change for reasons that no one can explain.

No, although it's a great course and probably the best field of the year. But, there are only 4 majors period.
Whether you call it a major or not, the Players is equally as important and prestigious as a golf tournament as the PGA Championship.

There’s all this talk every year about it being the fifth major or should be. Does it have the best strength of field? No. Is it the toughness of the course? I’d say no since only one golfer last year made the cut and shot over par. Is there something unique or special about the venue? Not that I see.
Then I have to assume the press for the 5th Major would seem to be about something else. What? I don’t know. 5he name of the tournament always confused me. I always thought the PGA Championship was the players championship since they’re all PGA members. The Masters is the only major held at the same location. Are those pressing trying to create another piece of that lore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As to the course and venue, Sawgrass is better than more than half the courses/venues used for the PGA Championship.

To your other comment, the tour players acrimoniously broke off from the PGA in 1968.

I would say its 5th Major... Look at how the PGA scheduled the events making sure that Players got its own month... It draws the top golfers, it has a lot of publicity in sponsorship and viewership, very highly talked about.

If you asked someone which they would like to attend 10/10 will say Masters/Augusta because that prestige is unlike any other. For me if I could go to a tournament in the US not named the Masters it would be Players!

March - Players
April - Masters
May - PGA Championship
June - US Open
July - Open Championship

Why? The US is still by far the largest golf market in the world.

This conversation has to be linked to the PGA Championship. Should the Players be a 5th Major is one question, but more on point is should it take the place of the PGA Championship as a major?

I understand that, I just see the game growing and I think another major outside the US would be interesting. You would get to see some interesting courses and set up outside the US etc.

I understand that, I just see the game growing and I think another major outside the US would be interesting. You would get to see some interesting courses and set up outside the US etc.
And assuming it is played in a faraway time zone, where would the ratings come from for this non-US and, I assume, non-GB&I major?

And assuming it is played in a faraway time zone, where would the ratings come from for this non-US and, I assume, non-GB&I major?

I am not arguing any of that. I agree The US is where the money is. Just a thought that I think a major outside the US would be great in some ways. I completely understand why it will not happen.

That being said. I do not think the Players needs to have Major title envy. Let it be its own thing and be great at it.

I am not arguing any of that. I agree The US is where the money is. Just a thought that I think a major outside the US would be great in some ways. I completely understand why it will not happen.

That being said. I do not think the Players needs to have Major title envy. Let it be its own thing and be great at it.
More realistic would be to move a WGC event from the US, but I don't think they could go too far from US time zones.

More realistic would be to move a WGC event from the US, but I don't think they could go too far from US time zones.

They tried that with Mexico and the top guys are all bailing. So a major would have more pull.

Yes, it’s about the talent in the field.

A 5th major? I doubt it.

If it was an actual recognized major. Then it would be nature have more pull. How much more? Who knows. Considering Major wins is what careers are really defined by then it would automatically have pull.

Again, as you have said. Never going to happen. A 5th major I do not think will ever happen either.

They tried that with Mexico and the top guys are all bailing. So a major would have more pull.

42 of 50 as quoted in another thread... still a spectacular field.

If it was an actual recognized major. Then it would be nature have more pull. How much more? Who knows. Considering Major wins is what careers are really defined by then it would automatically have pull.

Again, as you have said. Never going to happen. A 5th major I do not think will ever happen either.
The players would have to be on board with it and if WGC isn't pulling them in, they wouldn't agree to a 5th major. And there is no organization that decides something is a "major."

Hmmm lol
fc672c36e2616c565134402ed8bff190.jpg

What's the significance of the 74 76 78 in the pic?

Whether you call it a major or not, the Players is equally as important and prestigious as a golf tournament as the PGA Championship.

At least it is to you.

Easy to post that. What evidence do you have to back it up?

“I think this should be a major, I really do,” Spieth said. “Given the calibre of player... look, the entire top 50 in the world is here and, when everything is weighed up, it is the strongest field in golf. And it also has that extra vibe, that aura that the other four majors possess. Just the way the guys talk about it this place... well, it’s different.” ...

“Even if I became the sixth player to complete the career grand slam, my resume in my eyes would still feel a bit empty without a Players title. Hey, I’d be happy with those five titles. I want to but I wouldn’t feel I ‘needed’ to win a World Golf Championship. I definitely do with The Players and maybe that shows why it should be a major.”

I don’t think it is a major in March. I liked it better in May. The course was little bit more fiery then. I also liked the schedule better with the PGA in August. It takes out a lot of courses in the north for the rotation too.

Back