Doral is a boring course. Flat, tight landing areas hole after hole. Good infrastructure for a tournament and looks nice on tv but a major should be on a better course.
Could say exactly the same about Augusta without the grandstands and everything else they do for the TV
I didn't say anything about flat, just that without all the stuff they do for the TV, it looks boring

Well, since you went to "boring" even though it wasn't highlighted and you did use the word "exactly", you can see where your comment did say something about flat since it was part of his argument that you quoted. Again, I don't think I'd call Augusta flat and I am certain I wouldn't call it boring.

Augusta is an amazing course. What “stuff” they do for tv? The course alone is outstanding.

Well lets make a list of what they do for TV. The paint any brown spots green so the course looks perfect. They use heaters to make the flower bloom if they already haven't. The play fake bird sounds along with the hushed "I'm at church" voices. The hello friends...

The Masters is an amazing event, and the course is amazing. I really dislike a lot of what they do during the production of it. With that said, they did some amazing things last year. The app was great! the ability to watch every shot of every player was great!

Augusta is an amazing course. What “stuff” they do for tv? The course alone is outstanding.

Well lets make a list of what they do for TV. The paint any brown spots green so the course looks perfect. They use heaters to make the flower bloom if they already haven't. The play fake bird sounds along with the hushed "I'm at church" voices. The hello friends...

The Masters is an amazing event, and the course is amazing. I really dislike a lot of what they do during the production of it. With that said, they did some amazing things last year. The app was great! the ability to watch every shot of every player was great!

And to add to that, the pine straw isn't natural either, it is shipped in because the natural stuff doesn't look right

And to add to that, the pine straw isn't natural either, it is shipped in because the natural stuff doesn't look right

That I had not heard. but it makes sense as the pine straw is very dense and evenly spread. There is also the fact that Jimmy Demaret won there three times but has been stalin'ized from the Augusta history books and is forbidden to even be mentioned.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about flat, just that without all the stuff they do for the TV, it looks boring
Whew, that's a hot take. Augusta looks amazing to me. Every hole requires at least one exceptional shot if not 2 or 3.

Doral is a boring course. Flat, tight landing areas hole after hole. Good infrastructure for a tournament and looks nice on tv but a major should be on a better course.
Could say exactly the same about Augusta without the grandstands and everything else they do for the TV
That I had not heard. but it makes sense as the pine straw is very dense and evenly spread. There is also the fact that Jimmy Demaret won there three times but has been stalin'ized from the Augusta history books and is forbidden to even be mentioned.

Hadn't heard that about JD. What's the reasoning?

Re: the pine straw, are we pretending we've never heard if a course bringing in stuff from off site (sod, sand, etc.) to being a course into shape?

Re: the pine straw, are we pretending we've never heard if a course bringing in stuff from off site (sod, sand, etc.) to being a course into shape?

No not pretending. I just thought it was interesting. Its all part of the augusta syndrome as I read in one article. They have to make it "look" perfect even though it isn't. Its like golf's version of west world. This is not saying that it is not an AMAZING course. It is and I have never been there.

The story I heard, and who knows if it is true. Is that Jimmy and Jones were friends, and Jimmy said something about the attendance being down one year at the Masters. Jones was insulted by it and had him removed. The fact is he is not mentioned at all, ever.

Jimmy was the first to win 3 masters and is probably the only multi time winner to not have a bridge, or memorial, or be an honorary starter.

Apparently JD and Bobby Jones had a falling out

These are aesthetic things that are not really relevant to the quality of the course from the standpoint of playing it. Aesthetics do matter, but these are all minor things, and not all are actually about the look of the course but are about the broadcast. The course just in itself is amazing.

Another thing that has been rumored is that they put coloring in the pond to make it more blue.

I would say no because I'm a traditionalist and that would change the history books. I love the Players but not a major in my books.

I would say no because I'm a traditionalist and that would change the history books. I love the Players but not a major in my books.
I've asked of others and haven't gotten a good response- what about the PGA Championship makes is a major in your "book" but not the Players. And again, please don't circle back to "it is a major in my book because it is a major."

And as far as history books, it's not like the PGA has a good history of integrity. It was a disgustingly blatant racist organization almost the entire time the tour players were a part of it.

I've asked of others and haven't gotten a good response- what about the PGA Championship makes is a major in your "book" but not the Players. And again, please don't circle back to "it is a major in my book because it is a major."

And as far as history books, it's not like the PGA has a good history of integrity. It was a disgustingly blatant racist organization almost the entire time the tour players were a part of it.
Not sure I want to take a trip down that road but I'll explain it in this way. I am not saying it is more or less worthy and I personally love the Players. But we have history books and the players try to peak for the majors. Most good players make sure not to miss a major but will skip other tournaments. There is extra pressure at major championships. To go back and make the Players a major doesn't seem right for that reason. You would now have players with major wins that they never knew they had. Unless you are saying that only here forward is it considered a major and you once again affect history books as modern golfers have more opportunities to win a major and increase that total.

Now, we're gonna have people lobbying for The Players to be the 6th major!

I wouldnt be mad if they made The Players a major, but you cant call it a major if it isnt one.
It is the deepest field in golf and lots of $ on the line. It could qualify as one, but not the 5th until it's official.

Not sure I want to take a trip down that road but I'll explain it in this way. I am not saying it is more or less worthy and I personally love the Players. But we have history books and the players try to peak for the majors. Most good players make sure not to miss a major but will skip other tournaments. There is extra pressure at major championships. To go back and make the Players a major doesn't seem right for that reason. You would now have players with major wins that they never knew they had. Unless you are saying that only here forward is it considered a major and you once again affect history books as modern golfers have more opportunities to win a major and increase that total.
I wouldn't propose retroactively changing anything, or adding a major. It would make sense going forward to replace the PGA as a major with the Players.

Have I already posted on this thread?

I think that the R&A Open, R&A Amateur, USGA Amateur, USGA Open (Bobby Jones Grand Slam events) and the PGA are already five majors.

I don't see the Players as a major in the traditional or historical sense, but at least it's a championship.
I don't see what championship can be won at an invitational like the Masters.
Most golf fans love it, but to me, it's not a true championship.
Just a minority opinion, I guess.

I will give you the flat portion of the conversation but there are a lot of good holes at Doral. 3, 4, 8, 10, 12 16 and 18 are good holes. There are a lot of Major courses that don’t have this many good holes.

I'd rank the Players higher than the US Open and PGA in terms of my own viewing interest but don't really care either way if it is or isn't called a major.

What makes it a major is that it was decided long ago that it would be a major. That is the answer and really the only one that is needed. There is nothing special about the event itself. If you want to throw racism and bigotry in the mix. Than Augusta is the absolute king of the hill and it is not even close.

What makes it a major is that it was decided long ago that it would be a major. That is the answer and really the only one that is needed. There is nothing special about the event itself. If you want to throw racism and bigotry in the mix. Than Augusta is the absolute king of the hill and it is not even close.
The reason that it was decided long ago that it would be a major doesn't exist anymore. That reason hasn't existed for over 50 years. The Western Open (now the BMW Championship) was considered a major long ago, that doesn't mean it still is.

Augusta was racist but not nearly as blatant as the PGA. The PGA had a caucasian-only clause in its by-laws into the 1960s, and fought lawsuits to be able to keep it for that long.

The reason that it was decided long ago that it would be a major doesn't exist anymore. That reason hasn't existed for over 50 years. The Western Open (now the BMW Championship) was considered a major long ago, that doesn't mean it still is.

Augusta was racist but not nearly as blatant as the PGA. The PGA had a caucasian-only clause in its by-laws into the 1960s, and fought lawsuits to be able to keep it for that long.

Your kidding right about Augusta?? I mean really your joking?? Augusta required all caddies to be black till 1977. First African american member was allowed in 1990. The first female in 2013. The first black golfer to play the masters was Lee Elder in 75! It is not even close.

Augusta required all of it's caddies to be black until that late 50s and no person of color played in the masters until the late 70s, not sure how much more blatant you want the racism to be during it's early history.

The PGA should be a major,
and it should be for PGA pros, not PGA Tour pros.

The only PGA Tour pros who should be invited are past winners of other majors
and Tour event winners from the past year.

The bulk of the field should be club pros from regional qualifiers,
and it should be a major because club pros are important, even if they don't win their own major.

The USGA and R&A Amateurs should still be majors because amateurs are important too.

The USGA and R&A Opens should be majors because they are open and determine who the overall champion golfers are.

And maybe the Players should be added because it's a real championship for tour players.

The Masters is a major because people like it. Maybe that's enough, but there's no way that it's a true championship of any normal kind.

Back