The 60 and over Thread

I'm ONLY 55 but feel like I belong in this group!:p
Your comment reminds me of the first hole in one (HIO) I ever saw and the last. Both involved players who claimed to be about your age, but appeared to have a few more miles on them, if you know what I mean.

The first one was about 35 years ago in February and we were trying to get the round in before it became completely dark. Standing on the 17th tee a par 3, it was already very dusky. My playing partner pulled his 3W to traverse the 165 yards to the pin that was middle of the green. I saw it makes its way straight at the flag roll and then told him it went in. He'd never had a HIO and was just sure that we'd find the ball directly behind the hole, but of course it was a HIO--the first of his life!

The last one was mid-May of this year, right after COVID-safe golf returned to the area. We're standing on the tee of a 180 yard par 3 that goes down a mountain side. My playing partner had long since given up trying to straighten out his banana ball and just plays it. He launches his shot way left beyond the OB fencing and over an adjacent field. Sure enough the ball bends back into play and down the mountain landing just short and left of the green, bounces on and rolls to the hole, slowing, and then stops. We can see the ball right next to the pin, so we figure he just came up short. But when we get down to the green we discover they had one of those foam inserts just a half an inch below the green, and the ball is sitting on top of the foam insert. His first HIO!

So for all of you that have yet to get a HIO. There is still hope!

Always hope - but first i have the dang ball on the green in 1. The good news- that's starting to happen a lot more often on par 3's.

Back pain? Yes, after play.

Massage therapy helps, Theragun Mini, stretching

Any seniors dealing with back pain? Trying a massage therapist next week.
Back pain is what keeps me from walking while playing. Also it limits the amount of practice time I can put in.

Back pain is what keeps me from walking while playing. Also it limits the amount of practice time I can put in.
This is where I am starting to find myself. I am so stiff if I hit too many balls, that I cannot practice the way that I once could. It is frustrating, because this is the first year where I have really noticed it to be an impediment.

I had to go back to my long putter and putt like Adam Scott so I can practice putting. It hurts my back to bend over that short stick and put for more than a few minutes. Another thing.... While I don't have back pain from hitting my driver, I do from short game practice. This prompted me to try one length wedges. So far I really like the 56 wedge, but I wish it was in 54 so I didn't have the gapping problem. My One Length irons are 5 iron length, not 7 iron length. They're easier for me that way. I went with them not because I have trouble with the long irons, but because I have trouble with the shorter clubs. And now adding hybrids into the mix it makes things easier.

Now if I can talk my doctor into giving me a script for vicodin that I can take 1/2 a tab at the turn, I'll be golden.

I'm 69, yesterday I played a round with my daughter who is 39 and just started playing. Keeping score was the last thing we worried about. We spent most of the round laughing and working on her alignment, she actually hits the ball pretty well. More than anything, to me, was that we were able to just be there enjoying the day. Nothing in this world is better then spending the day with your daughter. She has always been athletic but golf was never in the picture until recently. It is so much fun having this between us. I am playing in a four person scramble in August and she asked if she could be one of our four. Of course, no question about it. I can't wait to be back out there with her again. Maybe this time I'll let her drive the cart.

Hit 61 earlier this week. Will go back and read all the posts, but at this point I'm still playing the whites, and two courses offer me senior prices.

I carry 2 and 3 hybrids, 5 iron 3 wood, as far as harder to high clubs.

I'm not a long hitter, but think this set up is acceptable mostly.

Any seniors dealing with back pain? Trying a massage therapist next week.
Yeah, I'm dealing with some back soreness right now. However, it's a good type of soreness, as it will go away in the next day or two. I kind of over did my golf last week, (72 holes) and most of body is not in shape to play that much.

Yesterday evening I was at a birthday, pool party, and one of the guests was a licensed instructor of massage therapy. (She grew up with our daughters) She gave me a freebie rub down. This morning the aches are minimal, and I expect tomorrow I will be at the practice area hitting balls again.

At 66 I am fascinated at golfers much older than me that play some great golf. I play senior league Monday and Thursdays and it is a blast. Not saying I like being old, but it does add some fun to it.

Some how I missed this thread. I turn 79 in three weeks and on the wrong side of breaking 80 except for my age next year. Played to a 5-8 hc for some time before I turned 65. Since that time I have steadily gone down hill. Now I still play three times a week, but I don't really keep my score anymore. I play mostly for the enjoyment and getting outside and getting some exersize .

I just turned 63 and aside from the extra pounds and plantar fasciitis in my left foot I am doing okay. Unfortunately my handicap had been steadily going up over the last few months. I don’t FEEL like I am playing any worse, but I keep blowing up my rounds.

As tempting as it is to just say “screw it” and stop keeping score, I really want to improve and get to/below a target handicap. So the struggle continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had to go back to my long putter and putt like Adam Scott so I can practice putting. It hurts my back to bend over that short stick and put for more than a few minutes. Another thing.... While I don't have back pain from hitting my driver, I do from short game practice. This prompted me to try one length wedges. So far I really like the 56 wedge, but I wish it was in 54 so I didn't have the gapping problem. My One Length irons are 5 iron length, not 7 iron length. They're easier for me that way. I went with them not because I have trouble with the long irons, but because I have trouble with the shorter clubs. And now adding hybrids into the mix it makes things easier.

Now if I can talk my doctor into giving me a script for vicodin that I can take 1/2 a tab at the turn, I'll be golden.

I have the same problem. I can't spend as much time as I would like practicing putts because it will start hurting too much. That bend is what hurts the most. Chipping practice will hurt too. But not as quick as the putting practice. I use an odor free lidocaine rub and a compression shirt when I'm at the range. It helps.

I used to hit the chipping green first when I went to the range. But I noticed it was causing a problem with the other clubs. Especially the driver because I have to bend over to tee up the ball. So I don't chip and putt until I'm done with the other clubs.

Here are a few swing tips that help all players, but ESPECIALLY us seniors.

SMOOTH: Most of us learned to "grip it and rip it" and what that means to us is something along the line of snatching the club back, then instantaneously change from backswing to downswing at 100 MPH. All the while with a death grip around the club. The senior body doesn't like that. Frankly, neither does the 30 year old bod. If we haven't already, now is the time to learn that speed in the backswing does not translate to speed on the downswing and in many cases is counter productive. Now is the time to think SMOOTH with a light grip. Slow down the backswing, pause at the top, and gradually accelerate on the way down with the intent to reach peak acceleration after impact. You'll play longer and more often.

BALANCE: Any balance issues with we senior's swing is going to become a bigger issue because we no longer have the reaction time and muscle mass we once had to counter these balance problems. Since our body has a built-in self preservation system it won't allow you to fall on your tush and makes other compensations--most of which result in slower swing speeds and lower smash factor. Now is the time to maximize your balance by focusing on setup, proper weight transfer, and tempo.

USE ALL THE LEVERS: Often a lack of flexibility and muscle mass leads to less lag, casting, and/or a more up and down as opposed to around the body swing. Maximize what you have. Focus on getting as much extension in your swing as your body allows--and no less. Same with shoulder turn back and through. If you have to allow your front heel to rise up to get a decent shoulder turn, do so. Finally, it's amazing how many seniors have no more than 20% wrist cock at any point in their swing--a real speed and distance killer. Most of us can still cock and uncock our hands and wrists with a proper grip and focus. Make sure you maximize this lever by first getting it and then retaining it until your hands drop to waist high.

SMOOTH: Most of us learned to "grip it and rip it" and what that means to us is something along the line of snatching the club back, then instantaneously change from backswing to downswing at 100 MPH. All the while with a death grip around the club. The senior body doesn't like that. Frankly, neither does the 30 year old bod. If we haven't already, now is the time to learn that speed in the backswing does not translate to speed on the downswing and in many cases is counter productive. Now is the time to think SMOOTH with a light grip. Slow down the backswing, pause at the top, and gradually accelerate on the way down with the intent to reach peak acceleration after impact. You'll play longer and more often.

BALANCE: Any balance issues with we senior's swing is going to become a bigger issue because we no longer have the reaction time and muscle mass we once had to counter these balance problems. Since our body has a built-in self preservation system it won't allow you to fall on your tush and makes other compensations--most of which result in slower swing speeds and lower smash factor. Now is the time to maximize your balance by focusing on setup, proper weight transfer, and tempo.

USE ALL THE LEVERS: Often a lack of flexibility and muscle mass leads to less lag, casting, and/or a more up and down as opposed to around the body swing. Maximize what you have. Focus on getting as much extension in your swing as your body allows--and no less. Same with shoulder turn back and through. If you have to allow your front heel to rise up to get a decent shoulder turn, do so. Finally, it's amazing how many seniors have no more than 20% wrist cock at any point in their swing--a real speed and distance killer. Most of us can still cock and uncock our hands and wrists with a proper grip and focus. Make sure you maximize this lever by first getting it and then retaining it until your hands drop to waist high.

Good stuff Leftshot. I find with a bad back and trail wrist. I do find it hard to swing around and I get the club too vertical. Can you please share more details on max extension? Do you mean getting taller in the back and through swing?

I'm 66 and developed a hernia on my left side. Haven't seen the surgeon get but I'm hoping to have the procedure after the golf season ends which typically is late October / mid November... rain and cold determine closings here. Some have suggested using a hernia belt but the wife found something that looks like swimming trunks but much tighter. Wearing the hernia trunks is still comfortable, allows movement and keeps everything in place. Hoping to make it to the end of the season before having the operation.

Don't know yet if I'll need a mesh... but if I do how long typically after the procedure will I not be able to play golf ???

I'm 66 and developed a hernia on my left side. Haven't seen the surgeon get but I'm hoping to have the procedure after the golf season ends which typically is late October / mid November... rain and cold determine closings here. Some have suggested using a hernia belt but the wife found something that looks like swimming trunks but much tighter. Wearing the hernia trunks is still comfortable, allows movement and keeps everything in place. Hoping to make it to the end of the season before having the operation.

Don't know yet if I'll need a mesh... but if I do how long typically after the procedure will I not be able to play golf ???
That is something you would need to discuss with the surgeon as everyone is different, and depending on the size and position of the hernia, that could have an impact on recovery time and progress

I turn 60 tomorrow , no glasses no tablets , creams or ailments , no muscular impairment or skeletal issues ... I am a tradesmen , have been since teens .... surprisingly flexible for 1.83 m tall and 95 kg

love the bloody game , and wish what l knew now when l payed when started in later 20s

l try to bend and stretch and don’t slow down at work , thinking that moving is motion and that contributes to my fitness to play , and walk every game .

😊

Your SMOOTH tip is exactly what I do. My backswing had gotten very short when I took up the game again last summer at age 65. Most of my practice has me working on getting the club back farther. My swing thoughts are slow down the backswing, get it back as far as I can, and pause at the top. When I do that, I hit the ball so much better.

Leftshot is right on target. That's my biggest problem. When I make a smooth complete backswing my shots are on target. I'm 71 and mainly struggle with playing consistently. I still have moments of brilliance, but cannot seem to keep it together for 18 holes. I've heard it said the most important distance in golf is the few inches between the ears. That seems to be very true for me. I shot 76 a few weeks ago from 6250 yards. However, I haven't broken 80 since. The main reason is not being able to focus on making smooth full golf swings.

Oh, I didn't even know this thread existed. I guess I'll see y'all in about 6 weeks.

Back