The 60 and over Thread

This is a great thread, I'm 77 and have been playing golf off and on since 1964. The clubs have changed a great deal, and it helped my game. I have never been a long hitter, drives about 270, in my playing day. Now about 230, on a good hit. For years I carried hybrids, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Only wood I carried was driver, bad back and age has change that. My bag setup , driver, 4 w, 7 w, 4 h, 6 thru gw. And then my wedges 52 and 54 and putter. I have played the senior tees for the last 4 years, and it has made the game enjoyable again. Bad back prevents me from practicing very much, and I ride a cart when I play. But I enjoy the game and will keep at as long as I can.

I have played the senior tees for the last 4 years, and it has made the game enjoyable again.
Good for you! Fun is the key! Why else play at our ages (I'm just short of 74).

We normally play from the "men's" white tees but we have had so much rain and the course has been so wet and soft that we have moved up to the "senior" tees fairly regularly. Certainly a lot more fun as all par 4s are comfortably "reachable" and even a par 5 or two we can get home in two with two excellent shots.

I am 70 and how play from a set of Hdy tee's at 6350. What I have had is a problem adjusting to not playing as well as I once did. I always played tournament golf and luckily have won a few things in the past. I can still beat most of the flat bellies but they hit the ball way further then me. So last year I decided to just LEARN to play for the fun of the game. This has been a real learning experience for me. I am trying to lower my expectations and just play the senior tournaments. I have been playing since I was 5 years old. Anyone else having this issue for lowering their expectations?

Good stuff Leftshot. I find with a bad back and trail wrist. I do find it hard to swing around and I get the club too vertical. Can you please share more details on max extension? Do you mean getting taller in the back and through swing?
Extension refers to a lot of elements in the golf swing. Generally speaking, as we get older wide and far gets replaced by narrow and short in a lot of elements in our golf swing.
  • The takeaway that used to start out low and stayed close to the ground is now replaced with a more straight up snatch that collapses the lead elbow and has little shoulder turn producing a narrow up and down takeaway with little stored power. You may not be able to stay low or have a perfectly straight lead arm at the top like you had in your younger years, but you likely can get closer to that goal than you are today and you'll benefit in distance and accuracy.
  • The shoulder turn on the backswing that used to turn 90 degrees or more turning your lead shoulder to pointing behind the ball with the hands in front and far away from your chest is now replaced by a 20% shoulder turn with the lead arm lying across your chest. You may never be able to achieve that long a turn, but turning to the degree you can extending the hands in front of the chest will generate more power and consistency.
  • The impact position with the shoulders pulled up in an extreme shrug position and the bent lead arm is anti-extension, but perfectly understandable. It's mostly the result of the items described above, especially the more up and down swing. The shrugged shoulders being a self preservation move to stop the club from crashing into the ground behind the ball, possibly mixed with the desire to create some of the whip snapping action that you used to generate with your legs. Often this impact position is combined with most of the weight stuck on the back foot, which makes getting to the ball before the big ball called the Earth even more challenging. The changes discussed in the first two bullets will flatten your swing removing the need to shrug the shoulders (but not the imprinted urge to do so). You'll have to work on the eliminating the urge. The setup, balance and tempo will help with the getting the weight on the front foot.
This may help too. For us seniors using ground forces in a vertical move with the legs is something that for most of us has passed us by. We are generally better served with a more lateral acceleration and braking motion that catapults the clubhead. Think of the heel of your back foot as the accelerator and the toes on your front foot as the brake. The sequence is a small lateral hip bump at the start of the downswing, followed by pressure from the heel and instep of the back foot to accelerate the clubhead as it begins to release lag, followed by the bracing action from pressure under the toes or ball of the foot on the front leg that then causes the clubhead to accelerate more catapulting the clubhead down the target line.

I love that we can have these discussions in a thread focused on US. These are the questions and discussions we usually don't get to have, because others at different life stages don't relate. Even here, some of us are going to find ourselves in different places. Take what you find valuable and don't worry about the rest. Bring up your thoughts too. Everybody has something to contribute and I am under no illusions that what I've put here is complete or in all ways correct. It's just what I've picked up along the way and now at least we have a place to discuss and share these tips.

Last edited:
Extension refers to a lot of elements in the golf swing. Generally speaking, as we get older wide and far gets replaced by narrow and short in a lot of elements in our golf swing.
  • The takeaway that used to start out low and stayed close to the ground is now replaced with a more straight up snatch that collapses the lead elbow and has little shoulder turn producing a narrow up and down takeaway with little stored power. You may not be able to stay low or have a perfectly straight lead arm at the top like you had in your younger years, but you likely can get closer to that goal than you are today and you'll benefit in distance and accuracy.
  • The shoulder turn on the backswing that used to turn 90 degrees or more turning your lead shoulder to pointing behind the ball with the hands in front and far away from your chest is now replaced by a 20% shoulder turn with the lead arm lying across your chest. You may never be able to achieve that long a turn, but turning to the degree you can extending the hands in front of the chest will generate more power and consistency.
  • The impact position with the shoulders pulled up in an extreme shrug position and the bent lead arm is anti-extension, but perfectly understandable. It's mostly the result of the items described above, especially the more up and down swing. The shrugged shoulders being a self preservation move to stop the club from crashing into the ground behind the ball, possibly mixed with the desire to create some of the whip snapping action that you used to generate with your legs. Often this impact position is combined with most of the weight stuck on the back foot, which makes getting to the ball before the big ball called the Earth even more challenging. The changes discussed in the first two bullets will flatten your swing removing the need to shrug the shoulders (but not the imprinted urge to do so). You'll have to work on the eliminating the urge. The setup, balance and tempo will help with the getting the weight on the front foot.
This may help too. For us seniors using ground forces in a vertical move with the legs is something that for most of us has passed us by. We are generally better served with a more lateral acceleration and braking motion that catapults the clubhead.Think of the heel of your back foot as the accelerator and the toes on your front foot as the brake. The sequence is a small lateral hip bump at the start of the downswing, followed by pressure from the heel and instep of the back foot to accelerate the clubhead as it begins to release lag, followed by the bracing action from pressure under the toes or ball of the foot on the front leg that then causes the clubhead to accelerate more catapulting the clubhead down the target line.

I love that we can have these discussions in a thread focused on US. These are the questions and discussions we usually don't get to have, because others at different life stages don't relate. Even here, some of us are going to find ourselves in different places. Take what you find valuable and don't worry about the rest. Bring up your thoughts too. Everybody has something to contribute and I am under no illusions that what I've put here is complete or in all ways correct. It's just what I've picked up along the way and now at least we have a place to discuss and share these tips.

Thanks, Leftshot. You are talking about me and probably a lot of seniors here for your bullet points. After 40 years of a desk job and playing a fair amount of golf or practice. I am feeling very tight. I am hoping this massage therapist can get me on track and I can try some of your suggestions.

Does Phil M do a catapulting move? It's interesting to see Adam Scott and other classic swingers get to their front side in balance and Phil goes backwards on the down swing in many of his swings, especially the longer clubs.

Anyone else having this issue for lowering their expectations?
I do, but from a completely different perspective.

I took up golf late in life (50), and never developed a very good game. Still, there was improvement each year until about 2 years ago. Even though it's not yet showing up in the form of a lack of distance, flexibility or injuries, my game is deteriorating and I find that difficult to accept.

That happens as you get older, my 7 iron was my 160 club. Now its my 140 club, work on your game. But enjoy the game that you can play.

At 68, I'm struggling this year. The gyms are back open but you gotta wear a mask inside and dammit wearing a mask while you're trying to work out is just awful so I'd rather not go. Consequently I lost a lot of muscle tone. I'm struggling with mid-irons. I can't hit them, so I bought hybrids, and yes, I AM getting a 34 degree Ping G425 hybrid this summer. I've got 30, 26, and 22 degree hybrids now. They're easy to hit and get the ball up high in the air. I don't care about working the ball. These come in play when I mess up my tee shot.

This said, I bought one of those Lag Shot clubs. I was having trouble with my driver. I was blocking it or hitting a block fade, so I bought the driver version of the club. Talk about the most difficult training aid to hit. My timing was off with my driver. So the Lag Shot helped me fix that. Soon I was able to hit that thing straight. Then I took out my real driver... and once I made the adjustment to the weight after two shots, I was hitting high draws with it and smoking them down about 15 to 20 yds further. I'd learned to hit up a little more too. So from the white/green tees (5900 - 73.1/125) and the other club (5600) I'll be playing "Drive for show, wedge/9i for dough" and hopefully get some more GIRSs.

I don't have the distance to play 6200 - 6300 yds. I could but I would have a long afternoon.

At 67 I can still make the low and slow, wide and, big shoulder turn. Used to go 110° on the shoulders, now it’s more like 95°. Still poke it out 240 - 250 yards,, though I could go further. But 240 - 250 is the length I can keep it in play, and that is more important hthan the really long bomb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 66 years old, and playing to a 12.8 handicap. I'm currently playing white tees, but I know there are quite a few courses where I should move up a tee. Any course over 6200 is a long haul for me now. I'd love it if this thread becomes a place for others like me to get together and talk golf.
It gets very tiring reading on golf forums about guys hitting 270 yard 3 woods and 160 yard nine irons. Don't even get me started with their driving distances. I realize most of it is nothing more than "internet golfers" looking to impress people they don't know. That stuff doesn't do a thing for me, and even when true, it is nothing I can relate to.
I'm guessing most of you who are 60 and older feel the same way, and have checked that part of your ego at the door years ago. I'm hoping you would like a place where you can talk about your game amongst peers. You still play well, or aspire to, and want to keep improving and talk to others like yourself about your round.
I also think most of you would like a thread where you can talk to players you can relate to about equipment you are using and or looking for, without someone telling you about their 14* 130 gram X-flex steel shafted driving iron they hit 260 on "short" par fours. Have you tried a 5 hybrid? Play a 7 wood? What's your bag set up? Wondering about a certain shaft? Maybe you're thinking about changing shaft flex? Do you play in leagues with others, if so how did you do this week?
These are the type of things we can talk about.
Hope some of you other gents feel the same way... feel free to talk about whatever interests you.

Just started playing golf a few months ago at 66. I have played seven rounds total. All from the front tees. I don’t care what anybody thinks and so far nobody has had any negative comments. I can’t understand the more experienced players who play from the white or even the blue tees and can’t hit the ball straight. I can easily keep up with most of them by playing from the forward tees and hitting the fairway most of the time.

The course I belong to decided that the only way the fairways were going to recover from the "big freeze" here in North Texas was if they went cart path only. Add to that all the rain we have gotten and it seems like that has been the situation for ever with no relief in sight! As a result, we have been moving up to the "senior" tees more frequently. The course plays much longer than the scorecard yardage as it tends to be very windy with more holes into the wind than helping, and several play somewhat uphill all the way. So it is still a challenge but a lot lore fun in certain ways as it brings a whole new and different set of challenges.

I do, but from a completely different perspective.

I took up golf late in life (50), and never developed a very good game. Still, there was improvement each year until about 2 years ago. Even though it's not yet showing up in the form of a lack of distance, flexibility or injuries, my game is deteriorating and I find that difficult to accept.
I'm in my 60's and started playing golf a little earlier than you (about 25 years ago) but never have and never will be what I'd consider a "good player", someone who can shoot around par on a regular basis. I'm not really seeing any age-related drop off yet in my distance or my scoring because a) I've not had injuries or orthopedic issues and b) I never had much distance or skill to begin with.

Actually there was a brief period a decade or so ago when I hit the ball a little farther and straighter than now but only at the expense of spending massive amounts of time practicing and taking lessons. One thing that has come with age is a little self-knowledge of who I am and what I want out of golf. What I want is to tee it up every single day that the weather is decent and I don't have work or family obligations. To me it's not a good trade-off to give up time I could be playing and spend it working on my game hoping to drive my 15 or 16 handicap down to a 10 or whatever. Or in other words, playing 3-4 times a week and shooting 90 is more fun than playing twice a week, practicing the other two days and shooting 85.

A lot of the older (than me) guys I play with have played all their lives and were pretty good players when they were young. I see them really struggle coming to terms with the fact that past a certain point, loss of speed and distance has outpaced their ability to score well by straight hitting and crafty short game play. For better or worse, I've never known what it's like to show up expecting to shoot in the 70's most days. And my memories of not being able to break 90 aren't that distant. But I can see the frustration age brings when a golfer's mind and spirit is still that of a 4-handicapper but he has to accept playing 10 strokes worse than that.

Sometimes the guys in their 70's threaten to just give up the game once they can't, say, keep their handicap in single digits. I'm tempted to think that would never be me and I'll always rather be out there playing than not. But who knows, if my shooting 88 from the 6,000 yard tees turned into shooting 95 from the 5,000 yard ones maybe I'd get too frustrated to continue.

Just started playing golf a few months ago at 66. I have played seven rounds total. All from the front tees. I don’t care what anybody thinks and so far nobody has had any negative comments. I can’t understand the more experienced players who play from the white or even the blue tees and can’t hit the ball straight. I can easily keep up with most of them by playing from the forward tees and hitting the fairway most of the time.

Hi Donald, Agreed on teeing it forward. My son in his 20's would benefit by playing the senior tees. Of course, he would never do it. It's too bad the industry never changed this to something like numbered tees rather than colors. Also, if you are new to the game, I highly recommend a hybrid iron set like HB Turbo's or knock offs from Pinemeadow.

My problem is my hips tighten up on the back 9 and then I do not get good rotation. I still think I am 21 and can hit "bombs". Since the big "R", I have been playing 2 or 3 times per week and my consistency is greatly improving. Oh, plus 1 on the HB Turbos. My wife uses those and they made a huge difference in her distance and ball height. I might just get a set myself.

Hi Donald, Agreed on teeing it forward. My son in his 20's would benefit by playing the senior tees. Of course, he would never do it. It's too bad the industry never changed this to something like numbered tees rather than colors. Also, if you are new to the game, I highly recommend a hybrid iron set like HB Turbo's or knock offs from Pinemeadow.
I really enjoy using my 5 and 7 wood and practice regularly with them. Next club down is 5i. These three are very well gapped.

I'm in my 60's and started playing golf a little earlier than you (about 25 years ago) but never have and never will be what I'd consider a "good player", someone who can shoot around par on a regular basis. I'm not really seeing any age-related drop off yet in my distance or my scoring because a) I've not had injuries or orthopedic issues and b) I never had much distance or skill to begin with.

Actually there was a brief period a decade or so ago when I hit the ball a little farther and straighter than now but only at the expense of spending massive amounts of time practicing and taking lessons. One thing that has come with age is a little self-knowledge of who I am and what I want out of golf. What I want is to tee it up every single day that the weather is decent and I don't have work or family obligations. To me it's not a good trade-off to give up time I could be playing and spend it working on my game hoping to drive my 15 or 16 handicap down to a 10 or whatever. Or in other words, playing 3-4 times a week and shooting 90 is more fun than playing twice a week, practicing the other two days and shooting 85.

A lot of the older (than me) guys I play with have played all their lives and were pretty good players when they were young. I see them really struggle coming to terms with the fact that past a certain point, loss of speed and distance has outpaced their ability to score well by straight hitting and crafty short game play. For better or worse, I've never known what it's like to show up expecting to shoot in the 70's most days. And my memories of not being able to break 90 aren't that distant. But I can see the frustration age brings when a golfer's mind and spirit is still that of a 4-handicapper but he has to accept playing 10 strokes worse than that.

Sometimes the guys in their 70's threaten to just give up the game once they can't, say, keep their handicap in single digits. I'm tempted to think that would never be me and I'll always rather be out there playing than not. But who knows, if my shooting 88 from the 6,000 yard tees turned into shooting 95 from the 5,000 yard ones maybe I'd get too frustrated to continue.
I’m one of those who played pretty well as a young man and is having a hard time accepting not playing as well as I think I should as a senior. I enjoy practicing and still think I can get my scores lower as long as I play from the forward tees and keep working at it. I also know that it’s not going to get easier as my age advances. My best shot is right now. I don’t want to look back and be sorry I didn’t give it my best shot.

Great thread! I just turned 65 a few weeks back. Still playing from the white tees (which are 5,800 at my course) but am certainly open to playing the golds (making the course 5,200 yards) when the time comes.

Like many in this group, my lack of flexibility, particularly after 40-years of desk jobs, is a challenge. Yesterday, I downloaded Eric Cogorno's Senior Masterclass in which he discusses swing elements designed to promoted a longer, deeper backswing with an in to out downswing pattern designed to promote a draw. The concept makes sense to me and is lined up with some things that I have been working on anyway. I started to incorporate some of this approach yesterday at the range and it seemed to work, so I'll be continuing with the practice plan.

I really enjoy using my 5 and 7 wood and practice regularly with them. Next club down is 5i. These three are very well gapped.

Nice, I prefer woods as well. Some are swearing by G425 hybrids too. They go down to a 8 hybrid, I believe. There are so many great options today.

Played 9 holes today, bogey golf. Which is pretty good for my game right now. thinking about carrying a three wood. Couldn't hit my driver today, getting maybe 170 carry. And no roll, fairways very wet. Or maybe working on hitting my driver.

Played 9 holes today, bogey golf. Which is pretty good for my game right now. thinking about carrying a three wood. Couldn't hit my driver today, getting maybe 170 carry. And no roll, fairways very wet. Or maybe working on hitting my driver.

Take a look at the Cobra Big Tour 3 wood. A larger sized 3 wood.

Here are a few swing tips that help all players, but ESPECIALLY us seniors.

SMOOTH: Most of us learned to "grip it and rip it" and what that means to us is something along the line of snatching the club back, then instantaneously change from backswing to downswing at 100 MPH. All the while with a death grip around the club. The senior body doesn't like that. Frankly, neither does the 30 year old bod. If we haven't already, now is the time to learn that speed in the backswing does not translate to speed on the downswing and in many cases is counter productive. Now is the time to think SMOOTH with a light grip. Slow down the backswing, pause at the top, and gradually accelerate on the way down with the intent to reach peak acceleration after impact. You'll play longer and more often.

BALANCE: Any balance issues with we senior's swing is going to become a bigger issue because we no longer have the reaction time and muscle mass we once had to counter these balance problems. Since our body has a built-in self preservation system it won't allow you to fall on your tush and makes other compensations--most of which result in slower swing speeds and lower smash factor. Now is the time to maximize your balance by focusing on setup, proper weight transfer, and tempo.

USE ALL THE LEVERS: Often a lack of flexibility and muscle mass leads to less lag, casting, and/or a more up and down as opposed to around the body swing. Maximize what you have. Focus on getting as much extension in your swing as your body allows--and no less. Same with shoulder turn back and through. If you have to allow your front heel to rise up to get a decent shoulder turn, do so. Finally, it's amazing how many seniors have no more than 20% wrist cock at any point in their swing--a real speed and distance killer. Most of us can still cock and uncock our hands and wrists with a proper grip and focus. Make sure you maximize this lever by first getting it and then retaining it until your hands drop to waist high.
Good stuff. Only thing I do differently is instead of "smoothe" I use"swing tempo".

I have found that using the correct swing tempo, coupled with a one piece take away, takes care of balance, timing, and other items involved in the swing.

Swinging faster than your body can control creates poor ball flights.

I stoled a phraise from the Tin Cup movie. "Dollar Bills". Dollar on the back swing, and Bills for the down swing. Just thinking those two words to myself, helps to keep me in my proper swing tempo.

Started golfing 10 years ago. Up to then , did the bike riding/racing, running/marathoning and cross country skiing thing over the years. I'm 68 now. I'm a bogie golfer at best.

Looking back, I see the slow down in the old bod.

About thee winters ago I started doing a few push ups, planks and stretching. It really helped with nagging low back pain. No injury. Just years of sitting in front of a computer, commuting and lack of stretching.

Started playing the whites about three years ago. Kept driver, 7 and 9 wood and a hybrid and have 7 iron through 60 degree wedge in the bag.

This past season stopped golfing in august as my wife fell and broke her arm. In November, I slipped on the ice and fell on my right shoulder. Busted up rotator cuff "stuff". We both been doing the physio since December and started golfing in April.

It felt like I had gone back ten years. Been out 20 times now. Finally starting to "feel" like I'm coming back to bogie land.

Finally able to do a few planks. Push ups starting next week.

It doesn't get any easier but If we keep truck'n, we'll keep truck'n

Going to regrip an old driver, and put a new jumbo grip on my putter this weekend. Getting ready for Monday, have a 8 am tee time. Courses around here are too busy during the weekends, I only play during the week.

Back